Sprint LTE editorial

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is an editorial from S4GRU directed at those following along as Sprint began their massive network overhaul. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/172578-new-sprint-network-explained.html#post1927653 This is not a simple network upgrade, it's a MASSIVE physical rebuild. Little known fact that Sprint being one of the first has among the oldest wireless data networks in the US.

EDITORIAL: C'mon people, you really do want access to the LTE network early, right? - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

It's always best to keep some perspective.

:)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
And that, boys and girls, is why "insider" sites like that are dangerous. And hypocritical.

You don't get to hype stuff up and then complain when people complain that you overhype things. There's a reason PR channels exist. Inside info is fun, but it's not official, and it doesn't always serve the public good.

But if you knew some of the stuff I know ... ;)

Chuckles 135

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I need these people to stop complaining about the lighting up of LTE for Sprint. You know some people aren't happy unless they complain. I mean I'm still waiting patiently on WiMax in my neighborhood and heard from a very reliable source (my Magic 8 Ball) they might finish it sometime before the Mayan Apocalypse. Wait you say that they abandoned WiMax????? Why am I always the last to hear of this!!!! :D

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree I'm tired of the constant b*tching......People seem to think an entire network overhaul should be completed and 100% in just a few months.

The people that b*tch the most are the ones who least understand the way wireless technology works.

If you can't wait out this "pain" there are 3 other major networks not going through an overhaul right now, pick one and STHU already. No One is making you stay with Sprint.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
And that, boys and girls, is why "insider" sites like that are dangerous. And hypocritical.

You don't get to hype stuff up and then complain when people complain that you overhype things. There's a reason PR channels exist. Inside info is fun, but it's not official, and it doesn't always serve the public good.

I love the podcast and all the work the entire staff does. I always catch the podcast every single week, informative and entertaining. Speaking of which, "insider info" has been mentioned in very general terms there in the past but this was all that was required to explain a point of discussion. I agree getting into specifics can be dangerous in more ways than one. This of course is why certain info is termed confidential internally at these companies which you are probably all too familiar with what and when you can say about a product.

I think it's safe to say "insider sites" like that are generally for a niche group, to all others it can be radioactive and may result in a nuclear meltdown but that comes with the territory then.

GOOD PR channels are essential especially in regards to complex/technical products or services and I could get into a certain Sprint Corp Press 4G rep from years ago but I won't. IMO in addition to marketing, PR is something that Sprint has been poor at.

In regards to Sprint LTE market roll out, Verizon can launch the same amount of physical sites as Sprint very fast BUT be in a much better coverage position due to the fact they are operating on 700MHz vs Sprint's 1900MHz. So Sprint does have to walk a fine line with these roll outs.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

(emphasis added)
Tell us Phil, what do you know?

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I disagree with the rant, I find it idiotic . It's a blog! It's a place where people can complain!

What are they going to do barr every person who says anything bad about Sprints LTE rollout. There wouldn't be anyone left!

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think people should have a right to complain but seriously if your looking at blog sites you know whats going on. You shouldn't be complaining because you want faster speed then because they are giving it to you. I don't see why people in the cities getting LTE are comlaining anyway. Maybe they don't have it where they are but its not complete yet. Sprint even announced its not but everyone wants what they have done on so they did. If its that big of an issue then just leave Sprint and get service elsewhere. No sense in bashing the company for doing what you want just because its not everywhere you are right now. I'm sure once they get a few markets going they will have learned some stuff and it will help speed up other areas but come on people, good things come to he who waits.