4G in Denver

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I hear that 4g is working in downtown Denver right now for testing. I will go and check it out. And Denver Metro will get 4G in October.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
People are using the Sensorly app to map 4G coverage around Denver. The Sensorly website is not as detailed but the android app shows in high-res 4G from down town going south down 25. If you have an Android fire it up and map where else you are finding 4G.

Last edited:

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My testing is in! or done. Something like that.
Yes, Nostromo is right. Mostly downtown. I got the best signal around Elitch Gardens, and the Pepsi Center. Some signal over by Mile High, but nothing actually in Downtown Denver.When the phone did switch to 4G it was either no, umm, curves?, above the 4G icon. Or just one of three. I did get 2 of three once. Which gave me (according to Speedtest.net's app) 2721 down and 1031 up. With no or 1 curve, 3g was faster.

Keep in mind, these are still in the testing stage. They are not full blown running 4G towers and networks. I had to test on the move. There were several games and other events going on, plus construction. I only got to stop the car at traffic lights. It is nice to see my phone go into 4g mode though!

D3V0L0

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the Broomfield area and I started noticing a 4G connection on my Evo on Friday. Most I've seen is 1 bar though. Speed test a few minutes ago showed over 2 MBps download speed, but upload was 20 KBps. 3G upload is faster but its nice to see those download speeds and that wasn't even with 1 bar signal strength.

turbo99miata

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Getting 4G in Superior, CO! Only one curve, best I've seen on Speedtest was 4.69Mb/s DL and .26Mb/s UL. Still very unreliable, the signal goes away depending on where I am in town.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint told me yesterday that all of Denver Metro will be full 4g in November. That random towers will be tested so I may get 4G for a few hours, then it will go out.

As for it being unreliable, they are still testing it here. The test towers are only running at half or less power.

halcyonku

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
On a whim, I just turned on my 4G and got a signal! I live in downtown Denver so it is nice to see. Speedtest came back with 2750 dl. Not bad and faster than my crappy DSL connection.

Can't wait for the full thing. I may drop Qwest and just do the mobile hotspot with the phone.

LuMax

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
4G in Denver, BOOYA!

I was sitting in bed last night (I live in Cherry Creek) and turned on 4G on my my HTC EVO 4G for no particular reason and up popped the 4G icon?!?! I used the Android Speedtest.net app and ran a few tests, switching Speedtest servers and switching 4G on and off. I had the best results with the Woodland Park server.

The results from last night (note the 4G icon!):

P1000723.jpg

A few more results. The two slow downloads were when I switched to the C-Springs server.

P1000726_crop.jpg

For fun I just watched the HD Transformers trailer on YouTube, flawless and loaded almost instantly. The YouTube HD logo turned red on my phone for the first time ever, exciting!

Reactions: StonewallUSMC

StonewallUSMC

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey LuMax,

If you don't mind me asking. How is the Sprint coverage as a whole around Denver and up and down the front range? I'm paying the ETF's I have on AT&T and looking to go back to Verizon in the next 2 weeks. But knowing that Sprint is CDMA as well I'm rather curious about them as a possible option.

Thanks in advance!

LuMax

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Stonewall,

I have been with Sprint in Denver for several years (came from Verizon) and have absolutely no complaints. I have yet to drop a call on my HTC EVO 4G. I have found the coverage excellent around the front range and also downtown with the exception of in the foothills at some mountain biking and hiking trailheads. I ride & hike with several groups and sometimes it's tough to get a signal at the trailhead parking area. Of course most of the time no one else can get a signal either, so I don't think it is really a Sprint issue.

I also prefer Sprint because the last time I checked their prices were lower than Verizon's for basically the same packages.

Hope this is helpful.

Deedub1001

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I was just looking at an evo at the bestbuy at I-25 and Colo. Blvd. Flipped on the 4g radio, went to speedtest.net and clocked 13.2mb down. Faster than my fiber connection at home. Unreal.

acidbuzz3

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like they are turning on towers pretty quickly over the last few days. Since the 3rd I have gone from only getting 4g along 6th ave between kipling and union. Now I can get it all along kipling and wadsworth from 6th ave all the way to well south of hampden.
If you check out sensorly you can see all the new areas that have lit up.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
First hand knowledge....4G is dropping in Denver....this year! Jump! Sprint says end of year....soak it

BrentM

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you still seeing the speeds in the previous posts? I'm in downtown Denver, and finally turned on 4G on my EVO yesterday. The phone says my signal strength is "excellent", but the speeds are incredibly slow. Here is a screenshot of the typical speeds I'm seeing on 4G. Actually, that download speed is about double what I was seeing yesterday. Any ideas why it would be so slow?
snap20101130_083328.jpg

OK, I'm new here. Not sure why my image isn't showing up. Anyway, it shows download speed of 253kbps and upload speed of 185kbps.

Edit - OK, working now. Had to edit the hotlink protection settings on my server.

Last edited:

Timw72

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Denver 4g

I am in Thornton off of 104th and Colorado and turned on 4g on my EVO yesteday. I have one bar with very low speed test results. This is the first time I have gotten 4G signal in this area(I have been checking a couple times per week for over a month now) Hopefully full 4G is right around the corner.

BrentM

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Update: Not sure what changed between this morning and now, but I'm seeing fast 4G speeds now. Not as fast as others, but typically around 5-6Gbps down, 1Gbps up.

Edit: OK, seems like it's still a little flaky. Back to my previous 100kbps speeds again today. Hopefully it will be steadier by the time it officially goes live.

Also, I was able to get a decent signal at home, around 120th and Colorado.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra