Just experienced 4G for the first time.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Omg it's fast. 7mb download, 1mb upload in Chicago on Chicago server. No root so no screen shot. Sorry. Yesterday using the speed test app.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that is deff fast.
Fastest I have seen is 5.5 on mine. I believe the mall next door has an indoor tower

Dont get too excited though until you see it consistantly and get it outdoors. Its deff not a great service. Its sketchy at best whether it even connects let alone get lightning fast speeds.
I tested one today on street in a so so area (like no bars) and got 2MB. 3G comparo in that same spot first run was 303kb and next run was 968kb.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Im sure Chicago got more coverage then podunk PA where Im at. lol

My little city has it and the outskirts a lttle , but prob not as many towers.

Philadelphia is prob a diff story. I think I got it constant in Philly when I went there, but didnt think to check the speed. The misses was getting pissed everytime I pulled my phone out that weekend. I was still playing with it all the time and not paying attention to her. hahaha

Whats your 3g speeds look like in comparo?

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently in the west burbs back home visiting friends and family and the most I've gotten out of 4G was 2800kbps down and 300kpbs up. My 4G signal comes and goes, very hard to get 1 bar, if it even picks up. Carol Stream/Bloomingdale area is where I am at. I'll be in the city later this week so I'll give it a shot when I can get into an area with solid signal

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
When you test, be sure to use Speedtest.net and compare with Xtremelabs Speedtest.

There is a marked difference. Fastest I have had on Speedtest.net is a little over 4 mbits, but through Xtremelabs I get over 5.

To add even more craziness, tether and see what you get then. Via mobile hotspot I get over 7 when checking through speakeasy.net.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
also make sure you are set to the closest server to you. Mine was defaulting to some weird servers and showing Philly the farthest even though its closest. Had to do with the always on mobile data being off or the GPS being off or something.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Honestly i was so excited about 4g that I didn't check 3g speeds in comparison. Next time I'm in Chicago I'll check. My upload speed varied more than my download speed. But it wasn't a blanket of coverage. I went back and forth from 4g to 3g a lot. Mostly 4g, though.

Sensorly was running so it all got mapped. :)

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had my first 4G experience today on the drive home (wife was driving). Ran a speed test and got 4740/1058. Schweet. It didn't last long. A couple miles down the road and it was back to 3G.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just got this... inside my house. Lucky huh? Well not really, I don't seem to have 4G anywhere else I spend much time, and I have 20mbps wifi anyway.

M19Nt.jpg

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As an addendum to my earlier message, I saw a Clear kiosk in the local mall this evening so I turned on my 4G while standing close by. Wham! Full bars! Using the speedtest.net app I pulled down a schweet download speed of just over 5 Mbps. I showed my results to the sales rep at the kiosk. He was impressed. He showed me the location of the repeater that they were using. The Apple Store is on the next level up and about 500 feet away. I was getting one-two bars and 3 megs from there. As an aside, I checked out the iPhone 4. Yeah, it's OK. I'll still take my Evo over the iPhone 4.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
As an addendum to my earlier message, I saw a Clear kiosk in the local mall this evening so I turned on my 4G while standing close by. Wham! Full bars! Using the speedtest.net app I pulled down a schweet download speed of just over 5 Mbps. I showed my results to the sales rep at the kiosk. He was impressed. He showed me the location of the repeater that they were using. The Apple Store is on the next level up and about 500 feet away. I was getting one-two bars and 3 megs from there. As an aside, I checked out the iPhone 4. Yeah, it's OK. I'll still take my Evo over the iPhone 4.

Don't use that app, its unreliable and you were probably getting much higher speeds. Use speakeasy.net/speedtest. For me I always get much better speed results from it. It is because the app doesn't use large enough files because it assumes you're not going to get over a 3mbps speed anyway.

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
@Rudementry: Using both the site and the app here at home in 3G I don't notice that much of a difference in displayed speeds. On my 20/5 home wi-fi network, however, the web site consistently displayed a higher speed than the app did. You may be on to something. Next time I'm in a 4G area I'll try the web site. :)

Jeff80

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the video quality on SprintTV running wimax? I haven't seen much videos on youtube. I'm curious to see if there's a huge difference.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the 4G speeds in Chicago is so nice. It's blazing fast when using footprint of Yelp to find something to eat or go. Now all they need to do is get those speeds out to the suburbs.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Im sure Chicago got more coverage then podunk PA where Im at. lol

My little city has it and the outskirts a lttle , but prob not as many towers.

Philadelphia is prob a diff story. I think I got it constant in Philly when I went there, but didnt think to check the speed. The misses was getting pissed everytime I pulled my phone out that weekend. I was still playing with it all the time and not paying attention to her. hahaha

Whats your 3g speeds look like in comparo?

Clearwire, the company that runs the 4g WiMax system, is owned by several companies. Sprint being one, of course. Comcast being another. Comcast corporate headquarters are in. . . . Philadelphia.

moonpie28

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint TV 4G

Can anyone tell me the video quality on SprintTV running wimax? I haven't seen much videos on youtube. I'm curious to see if there's a huge difference.

It's much better. I only watched the World Cup and Wimbledon but there were no mpeg artifacts or blockiness at all. Very smooth and nice. But chews through the battery of course.