Is sprint REALLY cheaper than Verizon?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The problem with this chart is that Sprint only adds $30 per month per line (smartphones; feature phones are only $20 per line), not $99 as per your chart.

I pay $150 for two lines ($110 for the first line, $20 for the second smartphone + $10 data fee, and $11 for insurance; add in taxes and subtract a 23% discount). If I were to add a third line, my bill would go up to ~$180, not $250 as your chart would have me believe.

I can't attest to the other carriers, but your multi-line price for Sprint is extremely inflated by 3x or more for anything over two lines. It's not accurate at all.

Check out their site. If you have unlimited text and voice, an extra line is $99 each for lines 3-5. The $30 increase is for those that do not have unlimited text and/or voice.

This is Gameaddict8's concern also, but I'm not comparing Sprint's budget plans to Verizon's Share Everything plan, I'm comparing the closest comparison's possible. This was addressed here:

I get what you're saying, but that removes the integrity of the comparison. Right now it's as close to oranges to oranges as you can get. If you want to create a set of matrices with all possible combinations, and compare/contrast and post those that's fine, but at that point you're comparing the merits of an orange to a banana to a mango to a lime.

The most honest comparison possible is to have all variables equal or as close to equal as they can be. In this case, it was having unlimited voice and text and as much data as allowed. The only assumption made, is that for a majority of people, having 10GB is indistinguishable from unlimited. We can verify this is accurate, because the average volume of data used per month in the US by Android customers is approximately .90GB. Even with a very abstract distribution, the idea that it's left-skewed so much that the median is over 10 is nearly impossible, thus we can call 10GB = Unlimited for the vast majority of customers.

The math and methodology check out. In an oranges to oranges to oranges to oranges comparison, when asked, "is Sprint really cheaper than Verizon", the answer is, "Yes, it can be, but only if you have one line". In any other circumstance, when comparing like plans, it's less expensive to be on Verizon.

That's a chart built from the rate plans on Sprint's website when setting up new service. It doesn't include any discounts, grandfathered plans, etc. The same methodology was using on all carriers. The reason for this methodology, is that someone considering a switch from Verizon to Sprint would be setting up new service, not an older plan and vice versa.

The valid comparison is the Simply Everything Plan versus the Share Everything Plan because of the reasons discussed above.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...CatId=EverythingData&planFamilyType=&flow=AAL

Please do research and read the explanations of methodology before accusing me of dishonesty. If you want to see matrices detailing every possible plan from all carriers, by all means create that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you guys really have a second question, which is, "Is it possible to create a tailored plan with less quality that is theoretically cheaper than another plan on another carrier?" For that, yes, probably. But, if you want to compare the same services from one carrier to another (discounting the obvious degradation in quality from Verizon to Sprint), then the only honest way to do it is by comparing oranges to oranges. Otherwise, the bias in the assumptions is skewing the results.

Note:

If
A= Unlimited Voice
B = Unlimited Text
X = Unlimited Data
Y = 10GB of Data

Then the configuration for Sprint and T-Mobile is A B and X, while the configuration for AT&T and Verizon is A B and Y.

Because of this, when comparing prices (R), the common A and B on all 4 carriers cancel each other out.
Because our only assumption was that X = Y for the vast majority of customers (because 10GB is unlimited for most people, given the average consumption of less than 1GB per month), the X and Y cancel each other out also, meaning that we're only comparing iterations of R.

Your question, "Is it possible to create a tailored plan with less quality that is theoretically cheaper than another plan on another carrier?" is introducing new variables in place of A and/or B on one carrier, while leaving them intact for the other three, means that nothing can be balanced in the equation and we get something that looks like R[SUB]1,2,3,4[/SUB]/A[SUB]1[/SUB]B[SUB]1[/SUB]X|A[SUB]2[/SUB]B[SUB]2[/SUB]X|A[SUB]2[/SUB]B[SUB]2[/SUB]​Y|A[SUB]2[/SUB]B[SUB]2[/SUB]​Y.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The problem with this chart is that Sprint only adds $30 per month per line (smartphones; feature phones are only $20 per line), not $99 as per your chart.

I pay $150 for two lines ($110 for the first line, $20 for the second smartphone + $10 data fee, and $11 for insurance; add in taxes and subtract a 23% discount). If I were to add a third line, my bill would go up to ~$180, not $250 as your chart would have me believe.

I can't attest to the other carriers, but your multi-line price for Sprint is extremely inflated by 3x or more for anything over two lines. It's not accurate at all.

Check Sprint's website for yourself. You're wrong.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Your missing what I missed.... They are talking about fully unlimited. Minutes, messages, data.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But is it even possible to get fully unlimited data on new plans on all carriers?

Not anymore; AT&T and Verizon both stopped offering it to new customers. That's why the assumption that 10GB is the same as Unlimited for most people (it is because the average monthly data usage in the US is less than 1GB) had to be made and why the most expensive plans from AT&T and Verizon were chosen.

If you're a very heavy data user and need more than 10GB, obviously an unlimited plan is more valuable, regardless of price, so T-Mobile or Sprint would become the best options, dependent on coverage in your area.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
But with Sprint u don't really need to get the 100$ plan. The 70 dollar 450min plan is enough seeing as its unlimited mobile to any mobile. The family 1500 is the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But with Sprint u don't really need to get the 100$ plan. The 70 dollar 450min plan is enough seeing as its unlimited mobile to any mobile. The family 1500 is the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Most people yes (like me and you) but some people may call landlines alot due to business needs or whatever so the unlimited minutes would help.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just ran the numbers-

sprint-VZ-

2 s4 with Insurance-

sprint-171.99
VZ-180.36(8gb data)

sprint ins. is 11.00 a phone- 22.00
vz is 5.18 a phone-10.36

with 6gb not enough for me brings both plans close to even. not incl. corp discounts and or taxes.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Most people yes (like me and you) but some people may call landlines alot due to business needs or whatever so the unlimited minutes would help.

I've heard that att is actually phasing out their land line service. The only people I can imagine using it still are educational facilities and the government.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ran the numbers-

sprint-VZ-

2 s4 with Insurance-

sprint-171.99
VZ-180.36(8gb data)

sprint ins. is 11.00 a phone- 22.00
vz is 5.18 a phone-10.36

with 6gb not enough for me brings both plans close to even. not incl. corp discounts and or taxes.

Freddie,
My tmobile bill for 2 lines. One unlimited data the other line is 2.5GB = 136.00 total with 15% corporate discount
I forgot to add talk, text, unlimited with mobile hotspot, and wifi calling.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Speaking from personal experience....

Sprint = 71.00 a month after taxes, unlimited data, 450 minutes to landline, unlimited mobile to mobile, text, etc. That is with a 17% discount.

Verizon ran me $112.00 a month after taxes for unlimited calling, text, and 4GB of data. Dropped it to 2GB, and it was 96.00 after tax. That was with a 22% discount.

Yes, Sprint is cheaper for ONE line....

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you compare apples to apples Sprint is cheaper and has unlimited data. Only question is, are you willing to deal with slower than molasses data. Yes, their improving, but very slowly. I'm giving Sprint till December then I'll be switching to tmobile. My local tmobile said they would pay up to $300 towards my etf. I almost took it but I have 2 lines that still have etf so I had to wait.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if you compare apples to apples Sprint is cheaper and has unlimited data. Only question is, are you willing to deal with slower than molasses data. Yes, their improving, but very slowly. I'm giving Sprint till December then I'll be switching to tmobile. My local tmobile said they would pay up to $300 towards my etf. I almost took it but I have 2 lines that still have etf so I had to wait.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Huh? Why would they pay some of your ETF?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint's everything data plan you can get limited talk minutes+unlimited data for substantially less than most carriers offer. Sprint's plans with unlimited talk minutes are not as compelling.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint's everything data plan you can get limited talk minutes+unlimited data for substantially less than most carriers offer. Sprint's plans with unlimited talk minutes are not as compelling.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sprint doesn't offer the everything plans anymore to new customers, only to current ones (and only if you renew your contract in store). They only offer the three new verizon - like plans.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I switched to US Cellular from Verizon. Cheaper and better speeds than Sprint. US cellular is offering unlimited 4g data for $45 on smartphones. You still have to pay the $50 access fee, but is well worth it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint doesn't offer the everything plans anymore to new customers, only to current ones (and only if you renew your contract in store). They only offer the three new verizon - like plans.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No Sprint has a new Everything unlimited plan that is only $80 a month now. Unlimited voice, unlimited text, unlimited data. And it is offered to both new and existing customers. New customers don't get the old plans like everything data and everything messaging.

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
No Sprint has a new Everything unlimited plan that is only $80 a month now. Unlimited voice, unlimited text, unlimited data. And it is offered to both new and existing customers. New customers don't get the old plans like everything data and everything messaging.

Yes they do. They're harder to find but they are available.

Family Everything Data plan
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...atId=EverythingDataFamily&planFamilyType=null

Single Everything data
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...CatId=EverythingData&planFamilyType=&flow=AAL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress