Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What do I need to do to get an off contract 32gb Nexus 5 working on Sprint?

I'm looking to get a new phone right now and I was considering between a Lg G2 and a Nexus 5. I need more than 16 gb of storage so the only option for me with the Nexus 5 is to get it off contract through the Playstore (vs getting the G2 for free on contract) I've seen some reports of people actually having trouble getting the 32gb version working on Sprint though.

Can anyone explain to me what I need to do exactly o get an off-contract 32gb Nexus 5 working on Sprint? It's kind of a lot of money to drop on an off contract phone if I'm going to have problems setting it up.

Default Re: What do I need to do to get an off contract 32gb Nexus 5 working on Sprint?

We know Sprint can activate them and get them working.

I do know for just for a heads up you can't get TEP (insurance) through Sprint since its not carried/sold by Sprint directly. Sprint will only insure the 16 gb version.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: What do I need to do to get an off contract 32gb Nexus 5 working on Sprint?

I'd find a Sprint store and ask if they have activated one before. If they haven't, try to find one that has (if possible). It's not an everyday operation for most employees, so I can't blame them for not being familiar.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I think you need to pay for a sim card as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Sim card is free

I have an unlocked 32GB Nexus 5 purchased from Google. I picked up a free SIM card from my local Sprint corporate store. I was told at the Sprint corporate store that I would have to call Sprint on-line to activate. When I received my Nexus 5, I inserted the SIM and called Sprint on-line and activated. You should have no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

It's good to know it can be that simple. With Sprint and AT&T's new no contract plans we can finally go between carriers like the rest of the world (well, almost).

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberny View Post
    It's good to know it can be that simple. With Sprint and AT&T's new no contract plans we can finally go between carriers like the rest of the world (well, almost).

It sets a good precedent