no ICS upgrade for Atrix 4G - disappointed that Google/Motorola goes back on their promise

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes a prediction doesn't work out. It's just a prediction.

People need to get over it and move on.

Of course its just a prediction...if you read my entire post, it was about calling AC out for not calling out Moto and giving them a free pass. Its back on the front page again, so I'm glad to see that.

Trust me, I'm totally over it..as in completely and utterly over 'it'. Unfortunately, the divorce will take another 13 months to be final, and then I'll have either an iPhone 6 or a WinPhone as alimony.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Of course its just a prediction...if you read my entire post, it was about calling AC out for not calling out Moto and giving them a free pass. Its back on the front page again, so I'm glad to see that.

Trust me, I'm totally over it..as in completely and utterly over 'it'. Unfortunately, the divorce will take another 13 months to be final, and then I'll have either an iPhone 6 or a WinPhone as alimony.

You know they don't mention every story on the Monday Brief, right?

How do you know that someone from AC hasn't already reached out to Google and/or Motorola for a further explanation? What if the staffer responsible for the headline stories was unavailable over the weekend? Calling out the AC staff on this story - hilarious.

And if you were "completely and utterly over it", you would make a switch now - no need to wait until your contract is up and you're eligible for an upgrade.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You know they don't mention every story on the Monday Brief, right?

How do you know that someone from AC hasn't already reached out to Google and/or Motorola for a further explanation? What if the staffer responsible for the headline stories was unavailable over the weekend? Calling out the AC staff on this story - hilarious.

And if you were "completely and utterly over it", you would make a switch now - no need to wait until your contract is up and you're eligible for an upgrade.

Yeah, because abandoning 3 top tier dual core phones isn't news...but whatever. Please point out where I said I knew that AC wasn't reaching out?

Sure, I'll happily make the move now...just send me the money to terminate my contract and I'm gone!

Based on your responses...I'm not the one who needs to get over it, but you go ahead, buy that new shiny Moto phone and then you can defend Moto when they ditch those users when its time for the KLP upgrade, or heck, even the JB upgrade they've promised.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, because abandoning 3 top tier dual core phones isn't news...but whatever. Please point out where I said I knew that AC wasn't reaching out?

Sure, I'll happily make the move now...just send me the money to terminate my contract and I'm gone!

Based on your responses...I'm not the one who needs to get over it, but you go ahead, buy that new shiny Moto phone and then you can defend Moto when they ditch those users when its time for the KLP upgrade, or heck, even the JB upgrade they've promised.

Here you imply they haven't.

I'm sure someone on AC staff has a number/email for someone at Moto and could inquire asking more of an explanation than just giving them a free pass...or is AC only a PR extension for Google, and by default, now Moto?

Free pass? lol.

Again, if it upset you as much as it seems to, you wouldn't be using a Motorola phone right now.

Sure, they may have been the top tier phones on three carriers, but I'd be willing to bet that Motorola sold more DROID RAZRs than those three phones combined. As a company, who's laying off people right now and scaling down their operations, cuts had to be made.

Move along.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Before this discussion gets out of control lets keep ourselves in check.

I can't speak on behalf of the AC Blog writers but I'm sure just like any other writer out there if there was public news, insider tips or anything else they will relay it to the visitors.

All I can say concerning this subject is things do change and not always for the better. For reasons unknown an OEM or carrier stops a promised upgrade it could be due to any of the following..

Bugs to costly and time consuming to resolves in early testing of upgrade.
Testing has resulted in what the OEM or carrier considers an upgrade not worth proceeding with because it doesn't improve the performance of the device enough to warrant the upgrade.
Cut backs due to funding, resources and manpower due to maintaining to many devices or redirecting towards newer and more popular devices.

These of course are just my thoughts and from what I've seen for excuses in the past from carriers & OEMs that decided to change their minds. It does suck, especially when you have locked yourself into a contract over a new phone only to have the rug pulled from under you.

Again, please keep a civil and respectable discussion/debate going and lets not resort to any personal insults, attacks or other unnecessary actions due to anger over this issue.

Thanks everyone.

vulcho

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Atrix 4G on pre-order so I paid full price. CES device of the year in 2011 if I recall correctly. I was so excited to have the latest and greatest (ha ha). I was even able to convince two coworkers to buy it. I proceeded to buy the regular dock, car dock, and even the lapdock. The hype and expectation of this device however was very short lived. Be it poor marketing from Motorola, the timing of when Verizon launched their 4G LTE, AT&T's terrible commercials or locked bootloader and lack of speed in their 'blazing fast' HSPA+ 4G, or some other long-forgotten reason, it really just killed this phone and Moto's apparent desire to improve upon it.

And how long before Atrix 2 was released? Why did Moto reverse the lapdock ports so new phones won't work on the Atrix lapdock? This phone was supposed to launch Motorola in a new direction, but instead, it proved that they didn't work out the kinks in time. It seemed as though this phone was a big "whoops, nevermind". Whatever the reason for the flop, it seemed to result in Moto not putting the CES 2011 pick on their priority list. The few updates we got didn't exactly take full use of the true capability of the phone (at least for it's short lived 'time'). But all in all, it worked fine for me. Except for the drastic overheating, random reboots, and other pesky things which didn't make this phone suck, but it didn't make it shine either. It was just... meh. At least for me.

Since I've owned it, I discovered that Motorola doesn't put the "human experience" into their design intent very much. The location of the cable when the phone is plugged in makes it hard to handle and use. The car dock keeps falling off the dash. The standard dock makes the phone hard to use if you want to listen to music... the original software allowed for a nifty widget to show up on the dock interface, but it was later removed. The alarm ringtones are... let's just say not comparable to those on the Galaxy S II. When it's in my pocket and I'm reaching for it, I can't tell which was is up. Of course, your individual results will, most certainly, vary.

Having had a chance to use ICS on a S II Skyrocket and seeing how Samsung really makes an effort to make Android human-like (lawsuits aside), I would've really liked to see my phone take advantage of similar nifty features. When the Skyrocket got the update, it didn't change the phone into something phenomenal... just something that was even "niftier" to use. Capabilities between the two phone though? The same. At least for an average user.

All in all, Android 2.3.6 can be just fine provided Motorola lived up to the hype they created. This phone was never anything more than a regular Android phone when compared to all the rest which were released in the same time frame.

Again, your results may, and likely will, vary. This is just my two cents. And the reason why my next phone will be something other than Motorola.

the good guy

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I spend my hard earn money and buy a phone base on what Motorola says and now they turn their back on us am and we must not say anything?. Motorola is crap and as consumers we need to stop buying their products. Stand up do for something or fall for nothing.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the Atrix 4G on pre-order so I paid full price. CES device of the year in 2011 if I recall correctly. I was so excited to have the latest and greatest (ha ha). I was even able to convince two coworkers to buy it. I proceeded to buy the regular dock, car dock, and even the lapdock. The hype and expectation of this device however was very short lived. Be it poor marketing from Motorola, the timing of when Verizon launched their 4G LTE, AT&T's terrible commercials or locked bootloader and lack of speed in their 'blazing fast' HSPA+ 4G, or some other long-forgotten reason, it really just killed this phone and Moto's apparent desire to improve upon it.

And how long before Atrix 2 was released? Why did Moto reverse the lapdock ports so new phones won't work on the Atrix lapdock? This phone was supposed to launch Motorola in a new direction, but instead, it proved that they didn't work out the kinks in time. It seemed as though this phone was a big "whoops, nevermind". Whatever the reason for the flop, it seemed to result in Moto not putting the CES 2011 pick on their priority list. The few updates we got didn't exactly take full use of the true capability of the phone (at least for it's short lived 'time'). But all in all, it worked fine for me. Except for the drastic overheating, random reboots, and other pesky things which didn't make this phone suck, but it didn't make it shine either. It was just... meh. At least for me.

Since I've owned it, I discovered that Motorola doesn't put the "human experience" into their design intent very much. The location of the cable when the phone is plugged in makes it hard to handle and use. The car dock keeps falling off the dash. The standard dock makes the phone hard to use if you want to listen to music... the original software allowed for a nifty widget to show up on the dock interface, but it was later removed. The alarm ringtones are... let's just say not comparable to those on the Galaxy S II. When it's in my pocket and I'm reaching for it, I can't tell which was is up. Of course, your individual results will, most certainly, vary.

Having had a chance to use ICS on a S II Skyrocket and seeing how Samsung really makes an effort to make Android human-like (lawsuits aside), I would've really liked to see my phone take advantage of similar nifty features. When the Skyrocket got the update, it didn't change the phone into something phenomenal... just something that was even "niftier" to use. Capabilities between the two phone though? The same. At least for an average user.

All in all, Android 2.3.6 can be just fine provided Motorola lived up to the hype they created. This phone was never anything more than a regular Android phone when compared to all the rest which were released in the same time frame.

Again, your results may, and likely will, vary. This is just my two cents. And the reason why my next phone will be something other than Motorola.

And then Motorola killed Webtop (see ATRIX HD, Photon Q, DROID RAZR M) because supposedly Google felt that it encroached a bit too close to Chrome OS territory.

Such a shame. There was so much hype at that CES show but really not much follow through.

Maybe these phones came out a generation early. Webtop 3.0 on ICS devices makes the whole experience a whole lot better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

fulnix

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I've been highly disappointed with this phone from the first time I had it replaced. I am now on Atrix #3 and it still does not work properly with the webtop and multimedia dock. If I use it to its full potential it will over heat and eventually fry its touch screen. This has happened to me twice before. About a year ago I was fed up and left for Windows Phone 7.5; I bought an old single core Samsung Focus and couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong I love Android and being able to unlock the device and load anything I want to it. In the end I also required a phone that just worked for my business. This was my Focus, I still played around with my Atrix but that was it, just for play. In the end I need a device and operating system that will serve me both in pleasure and business, in the end just work and do everything I need from email integration to Facebook integration. The old Focus outpaces the Atrix in every way. I am highly disappointed in both Google and Moto. Google for allowing the fracturing of what could be an excellent operating system. They have not done the planning to give companies like Motorola a clear upgrade path. I feel that this places companies like Moto in a weird spot, asking themselves how do we get consumers into our next phones. Their answer seems to be time after time we'll just stop supporting our old handsets. To get the new software we are forced to upgrade to their new handset. I have made the decision that I cannot afford the time to deal with their shenanigans. I was hoping that someday here they would upgrade to ICS and we would all realize the full potential of this handset. I will be upgrading to the Nokia 920 and Windows Phone 8 when it rolls out. So far the WP experience has been excellent even though it is an operating system very much in beta at 7.5. Yes I truly believe it is much better than Android even ICS. This is my personal opinion; I vote with my dollars and will not vote for Google or Moto any longer.

sobatrix

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Moto fan since the Brick. Now i don't know what to buy next will never go to the dark side, but do not want to get burned again with FALSE promises. I have never had a doubt in my mind before now as to what to buy.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When was the Atrix released and when did Motorola initially say the Atrix would be in line for an ICS upgrade?

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
As a previous post had mentioned, when most of us purchase our phones, we purchase it because it's the latest, greatest thing out, including the OS. I don't why every time there is a new Android OS released we all believe that the manufacturer is obligated to update our phones, they are not.
When the manufacturers do mention that they are going to update a phone, everyone whines it's not being done fast enough, when the manufacturer does send out an update it's usually buggy because it has been rushed out, so they can't win.
Just look at it like this, we purchase our phones because it IS the latest in technology, both in terms of the specs and the OS, just as we do with our home pc, and I don't recall MS ever sending out free upgrades every time they came out with a new version of Windows. Maybe tomorrow I'll call HP and tell them I want Windows 8 or I'll switch to Dell.

Sent from my "PATENTED RECTANGLE" using Android Central Forums.

ian.blanco

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The Atrix was released somewhere around April of last year. In February, Motorola posted in their forums that the the Atrix was receiving ICS in Q3.

As far as windows goes, thats a poor comparison. Android is linux based, a freeware product which has always been free to update. We have every right to be pissed. If I told you, in seven months my company was going to give you that Dell laptop with Windows 8 just to turn around and tell you right before the promise date.... sorry we lied. Your telling me you'd be cool with that? I highly doubt it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Atrix was released somewhere around April of last year. In February, Motorola posted in their forums that the the Atrix was receiving ICS in Q3.

As far as windows goes, thats a poor comparison. Android is linux based, a freeware product which has always been free to update. We have every right to be pissed. If I told you, in seven months my company was going to give you that Dell laptop with Windows 8 just to turn around and tell you right before the promise date.... sorry we lied. Your telling me you'd be cool with that? I highly doubt it.

So between April 2011 and February 2012, there was no announcement of an upgrade to ICS - meaning between April 2011 and February 2012, no one could have possibly purchased the the ATRIX because of the promise of ICS.

Sometimes things just don't work out. Other priorities, time, resources.. things happen.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

If Motorola promised it then you have every right to be pissed, I know I sure would be. Once Motorola promised they would update your phone it became their responsibility. I would say hit them in their pocketbook where it hurts, but I wouldn't stray too far because I'm thinking that now that Google owns Motorola I think it's going to be their goto device for future Android OS and replace the Nexus, but that's just my opinion.
I still think that we (not everyone, but most) have come to expect that every time a manufacturer brings out a new phone with the latest and greatest android OS everyone believes they should have it too. I believe the manufacturers need to get out of the updating business with the exception of repairing bugs.
I know Linux is open source (this is why I love android), which is what gives us the ability to create and modify just about anything in the Android ecosystem including the ROMs and not need the manufacturers OTA updates that often limit or restrict functions of our phones.

Have a good night!
Frank

Sent from my CUSTOM HTC EVO 3D using Android Central Forums.

ian.blanco

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So between April 2011 and February 2012, there was no announcement of an upgrade to ICS - meaning between April 2011 and February 2012, no one could have possibly purchased the the ATRIX because of the promise of ICS.

Sometimes things just don't work out. Other priorities, time, resources.. things happen.

No, we were promised updates for the next 18 months, being the "Flagship" phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress