Would you buy the Atrix before the Mobile Conference?

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I bet Atrix comes out a few days before the mobile conference. I am one of those that has to get the new toy the day it's released otherwise I can't sleep knowing someone else already has it! I know, insane but it is what it is. So what do you do, buy it and take the risk it's the best or wait? Smart thing to do is wait but I wouldn't consider us addicts very smart... :confused:

Ezcal#AC

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If it is released the week before MWC, there's no way I'll be buying it then. There's just too much that could be announced for me to justify spending the money for a new phone like this.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
There will always be a better device out there. So if you wait for one conference there will be another one around the corner. For me - I was waiting until my Verizon contract expired on November 21, 2010 so that I can be free from my old Storm.

So - will a better device be coming? Sure. But for now - this is the best you can get. I plan on getting mine on release day.

Reactions: john_v

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
So - will a better device be coming? Sure. But for now - this is the best you can get. I plan on getting mine on release day.

Very true...and the other thing is this...if you plan on sticking with AT$T, does anyone really think they will announce something better (for ATT) than the Atrix? Although I suppose if you bought a GSM unlocked...but I digress. Since I'm sort of locked in to ATT due to work, I personally don't think I'll see anything better than the Atrix and so to answer the question Yes I would get it.

(But go ahead, AT&T...prove me wrong, i double dog dare ya :p )

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting on a few things to shake out:
1. Mobile World Congress Feb. 14-17 Mobile World Congress
2. CTIA - March 22-24 CTIA WIRELESS
3. If nothing else matches the overall package I'm still wary of getting a phone with a more likely than not locked bootloader, sub par cameras, I'd like higher resolution in 4.3-5" and hate that Gingerbread and 1080p playback & recording are promised for later on. It should ship with them.

As per the link below:
Android 2.2 - upgrade to 2.3 is planned for later this year
(1080p will be supported via SW upgrade post-launch)
(Playback through HDMI is 720p at launch and will be upgraded to 1080p via SW upgrade post-launch)

How much later for these updates? It also doesn't list a gyroscope, isn't that also very necessary for good gaming?

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Fact-Sheets/Motorola-ATRIX-4G-Fact-Sheet-353b.aspx

So many awesome specs on this phone but also so many uncertainties.

Last edited:

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was totally happy with my Evo except for the camera. I'm just waiting for 1 phone to help me chill out. I'm tired of chasing phones... If the Evo had a better 8 mp camera I would use it for another year at least, it's that good. Reason I want to wait for MWC is to make sure that I'm finally chosing from the best without having to break another contract.

I really hope that HTC outclasses them all as they seem to have the best UI overlay on Android. I hate the thought of Moto Blur even though I can switch to ADW or LP. I'm just going to miss the reflow of text on the web and accurate functionality for copy & paste. It may take Google another year to get as good as HTC sense. For all you that do not own HTC with sense it's basically the most user friendly overlay above Android and I would prefer that with 2.2 over gingerbread any day!

Blanco720

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
sub par cameras, I'd like higher resolution in 4.3-5"

It is widely known that a lower MP camera can significantly outperform higher MP cameras, especially on phones (iPhone is a perfect example). To my knowledge, we haven't seen many (if any pics) to judge the performance of the actual camera. I would wait for evidence before stating 'sub par'.

Also, the resolution and pixel density on this phone is very, very good. Putting it on a 4.3-5' display would lower the density and make it look worse. In this regard, you are looking for a phone that doesn't currently exist (again, to my knowledge). All the 4.3-5' res phones currently on the market look worse than the atrix.

Maybe later this year or next you will find the phone you are looking for. In the mean time, I would suggest the atrix, bionic in Q2, or the reported 3d phones being announced at MWC. Still, the atrix will give you PLENTY of longevity until technology catches up with your expectations.

Reactions: btgrave

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It is widely known that a lower MP camera can significantly outperform higher MP cameras, especially on phones (iPhone is a perfect example). To my knowledge, we haven't seen many (if any pics) to judge the performance of the actual camera. I would wait for evidence before stating 'sub par'.

Also, the resolution and pixel density on this phone is very, very good. Putting it on a 4.3-5' display would lower the density and make it look worse. In this regard, you are looking for a phone that doesn't currently exist (again, to my knowledge). All the 4.3-5' res phones currently on the market look worse than the atrix.

Maybe later this year or next you will find the phone you are looking for. In the mean time, I would suggest the atrix, bionic in Q2, or the reported 3d phones being announced at MWC. Still, the atrix will give you PLENTY of longevity until technology catches up with your expectations.

You're right, I referred to the cameras as sub par for the spec-whore in me. Often times a better lens and software on a lower MP camera will yield better results. I wasn't specific enough, my bad.

qHD is good, better than most but still not IPS good. I understand making the screen larger negates the bump in resolution, so make it better all around! I know I'm looking for a phone that doesn't exist yet, I can dream lol That said what I'm asking for isn't far fetched, just take the LG IPS screen in 4.3" keeping the ppi at over 300 and the ffc from the LG Optimus Black which is 2MP, I'll even take 1.3MP. While we can argue 5MP vs 8MP it's difficult to argue VGA (0.3MP) vs 1.3 or 2MP, yes? With Skype acquiring Qik and Google integrating video chat into GoogleTalk more and more I want to make sure I have hardware capable of keeping pace and moving forward.

I am leaning towards Atrix big time, if nothing else delivers after MWC and/or CTIA I see myself getting it by summer if not sooner. I definitely agree it has the specs on paper to make it somewhat future proof, at the very least until my two year renewal is up. Can't wait to get Honeycomb on it but the likely locked bootloader worries me a bit :-/ as do the "later in the year" promised features. Patience is not a virtue of mine.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I say no. I'd like to see what HTC does at MWC, then buy the Atrix. Still, if they can release a dual core device, with HDMI mirroring, and a 4.3" qHD screen, I would go with that. I find that unlikely though, but then I didn't expect the Atrix either.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

That is not really true. Its not directly the MP count that matters its the spacing between pixels in the sensor. Say my sensor size is fixed at 1" by 1". With a 10 MP vs 5 MP sensor it would be packed twice as densely. The reason this is bad is because the closer the pixels the more noise (heat being the big one) that is generated. noise shows up as the snow effect and effects low light shots more because the senor is made more sensitive (aka the noise is closer in strength to the desired signal).

for picture quality the most important thing is the lens -> sensor -> software(processing). Lenses always suck for phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress