Battery Draining Quick

pro4g

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
anyone else noticing the battery draining quick. I get about 4 hours of good use before I am at around 20 percent or less is this normal.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Not normal at all. Go to battery use (in settings, battery manager) and see what apps are using the most battery.

Also, it might be a 3rd party app. Might want to check into that.

a4pike

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am draining my battery fairly quickly also... I am forcing myself to not use live wallpapers, various widgets, etc. and I still drain it fairly quickly. I use ATK like it's my job, and still can't manage to keep my battery full, or at a decent level.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I am draining my battery fairly quickly also... I am forcing myself to not use live wallpapers, various widgets, etc. and I still drain it fairly quickly. I use ATK like it's my job, and still can't manage to keep my battery full, or at a decent level.

It's been recommended to not use task killers with froyo

Reactions: vay23

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's been recommended to not use task killers with froyo

That's true...unless you know what you're doing.

Add all the "autostart" apps to the Ignore list and it's actually really helpful. The only things that pop up on my task kill list are the apps I run and want to shut down. The reason they say don't run task killers is because they close apps that Android auto-opens...so right after you use the task killer Android has to re-open 15-20 apps (and some of them have to re-login, re-authorize, check files, etc...) and that drains a *lot* of battery. Some people set Task Killer to "auto kill on standby" which means every time they turn off the screen it autokills...and then has to restart all those apps.

If you know what you're doing Task Killers can be a great benefit.

Reactions: Garz

Brademcee

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem and accidentally posted a new thread asking the same thing. I am experienced android user and can't figure out what is draining the battery. The batter manager is no help. I thought it was maybe tango running in the background but uijnstalled and having the same issue.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys fully charge the battery when you first bought the phone? I noticed that problem when I charged it some when I first got it and not all the way. Then when I left it to charge completely that same night, the next morning it lasted me 18 hours with moderate use. Try switching to ADW or Launcher Pro and see if its a MotoBlur thing. This is the only Android Phone thats been giving me extremely impressive battery life.

stray

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a Motoblur thing, I got 15 or 16 hours of moderate to heavy use out of my Atrix yesterday and only got down to 30%. Pretty much syncing everything through blur, default schedule... AIM up for a while, News widget, social network widget, Opera browsing, some Sirius streaming, and other miscellany.

Something has got to be screwy and/or rogue if it's running warm, too.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing about people doing a powering cycle to there battery. Not sure what or how to do it, but I wouldnt mind giving it a shot. I think its letting the battery completely die out and then let it charge with the phone off for the whole time.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same problem and accidentally posted a new thread asking the same thing. I am experienced android user and can't figure out what is draining the battery. The batter manager is no help. I thought it was maybe tango running in the background but uijnstalled and having the same issue.
Get NetMeter and sit on the show tasks screen for a few minutes and see what app is taking up the cycles.

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
when i first got the phone, i was able to get 16 hours down to 15% with 2 hours screen time. this is on par with my Nexus One.

since then, i've installed some apps that i've never previously tried on the Nexus One and the battery life became horrible. i never had battery life issues with the Nexus One. i'm trying to figure out which apps are using up that much battery. for example last night, i went to bed with 60% charge. when i woke up 6 hours later, it was already down to 15%.

anon(167551)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I heard you could do a factory reset, then reinstall. It has to be a rogue app if you were already having good battery life previously
I tried this, and then only reinstalled apps the apps I had that don't use updates, i.e. SpeedTest, Angry Birds, Droid Light.

It's increased my battery but not as much as I'd like. In what I'd consider light-moderate usage (roughly 1hr calls, sent maybe 30 texts, browsed internet/facebook/twitter shortly (hour max combined) and played 15 minutes of game) I got to 20% in 12~ hours.

I've also been letting the phone do mostly full cycles, down to at least 15% before charging to 100%.

Is there a possibly the Moto maybe a bad batch of batteries and that could be the causing the issues?
(I don't really know the possibility of this happening but given the widespread hit or miss of the batteries it seems like it could be plausible)

(off topic kinda) Does Juice Defender really work?

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i have installed Watchdog Task Manager to try to watch out for run away apps. i have uninstalled all the app that i didn't have on the Nexus One and the battery seems to be holding up better. one thing i noticed when i was having the battery issues is the phone is much warmer than usual. the phone should be at room temperature when it is not being used and there are no run away apps.

coming out of standby, my phone now shows no apps running at more than .6% with the exception of Android systems at 2.9% according to the Watchdog Task Manager. and indeed, the phone is at room temperature. i'm gonna run this battery down with normal phone usage (~1-2 hours LCD time) and see how it goes.

i have no technical knowledge of Android software/hardware and how programs utilize dual core CPU, so please don't shoot me if i'm wrong. but i think being a dual core cellphone, the Atrix might be more sensitive to run away apps because there's now two CPU's processing it rather than just one.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The is one thing I will admit. The battery does tend to get hot when your using the phone for a while. I would just do a factory reset. Then Power Cycle the battery and see if that helps. And about Motorola having a bad batch of batteries. Its possible, but unlikely.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
i have installed Watchdog Task Manager
That looks like a sweet app!

One thing to watch out for is apps which use an embedded webview to show articles. Webview can be tricky to pause and destroy, and when not done properly it can linger and consume CPU cycles. I always have that issue with Google Finance and have to kill their service often when I view news on a stock. Wish they would fix it but I have written them 3 times with no response.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Today has been the second day since I've had my phone.. I got it on thursday in the afternoon and i played with it till the battery went to red and charged it.. Then yesterday by using my phone from 930am my phone died at around 10pm or so and this wasnt exactly with heavy, heavy use, but it was moderate. And today, after 6 hrs of being off charge and having talked on the phone for an hour and using whats app and kik as my only/if not main source of communication with no browsing or downloading applications my phone was down to 30% my blackberry would still be at around 75% and I know androids are notorious for bad battery life.. but this phone has a huge battery, and i just think i should have gotten a little more juice out of mine.. I'll let it drain completely till the phone shuts off again tonight, i did the same last night and see what happens tomorrow.. I don't know if this is good, or normal or not.. but with my bb, i just got more and i know i need to expect a little less than that with this phone and i'm okay with it.. but just wanted some insight.. thanks

dageniusal

Jan 20, 2011
www.lavidabello.com
I've gotten 16 hours with moderate use. Lots of texts and emails. Roughly 40% of my use was display and 40% idle. Not the greatest battery life compared to my old blackberry, but not terrible either.

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
after carefully monitoring the phone today, my phone right now is at 19 hours with 1 hour 49 minutes screen use and it's at 15%. i only had a 1 minute phone call to order chicken wings so i don't know how the battery life would be with more call time. i don't use any task killer and i didn't have to kill any tasks today. i just try not to install buggy apps. this is pretty much in line with my Nexus One.

the battery usage screen shows
phone idle 39%
display 38% with 1 hour 49 minute use
cell standby 17%
maps 6% with 7 minutes GPS use
voice calls 2% with 1 minute use

Last edited: