What I miss from Blackberry

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Keyboard aside, because im getting used to the touch keyboard, what I miss most from using my blackberry is the extra settings that the OS and alot of apps have. Like on my Atrix for example, first thing I noticed is that you don't have an option to specify the length and amount of times your phone vibrates. Also hardly any apps don't have a way to close without a task manager, whereas pretty much every bb app has close in the menu. There are many other instances where I see not enough settings to customize certain things, albeit small things, but I think many of those should be included within the OS. I shouldn't have to download an app for everything. And also copy and paste could be better, I should be able to copy and paste everywhere. When I go to my contacts I actually have to go to the edit screen to copy the number. And moving the cursor while u type is also not great. I will probobly never go back to bb, but those are a few of the everyday things that Android should improve on. Of course my list of what Android has over BB is much longer, just a thought on what I miss.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
In time I think that you will find that android is a fantastic platform that is still evolving. Android has come a long way over the last couple of years. While there are features that I miss from my blackberry days overall I am more than happy with this platform.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Freakish Gnome

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Notification apps allow for those settings.

Hold back to close an app.

There are directional buttons on every keyboard, go to your alternates then click the <>.

Anything else?

edit: I guess holding back doesn't close all apps. You have 2 gb of ram, why do you need to close every app? Task manager should do that as it needs to anyway

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Keyboard aside, because im getting used to the touch keyboard, what I miss most from using my blackberry is the extra settings that the OS and alot of apps have. Like on my Atrix for example, first thing I noticed is that you don't have an option to specify the length and amount of times your phone vibrates. Also hardly any apps don't have a way to close without a task manager, whereas pretty much every bb app has close in the menu. There are many other instances where I see not enough settings to customize certain things, albeit small things, but I think many of those should be included within the OS. I shouldn't have to download an app for everything. And also copy and paste could be better, I should be able to copy and paste everywhere. When I go to my contacts I actually have to go to the edit screen to copy the number. And moving the cursor while u type is also not great. I will probobly never go back to bb, but those are a few of the everyday things that Android should improve on. Of course my list of what Android has over BB is much longer, just a thought on what I miss.

I also miss my BB OS, but I'm finding my bearings with the Atrix. I agree that having to download an app for just about everything is acutely tedious and seems sort of silly. Why not just include the ability to cut/copy/paste in the OS? I just don't understand that. In addition, I really don't like some of the permissions developers ask for, so that limits what I can download. That said, I downloaded an app called WhoIsIt. It allows me to customize my ringtones and vibrations, globally. It allows me to silence my phone at night, while still allowing those all important family member calls, emails, texts, to come through. It does much more, as well. You might want to give it a try if you haven't yet. It's a bit tedious to set up but, once it's done, it's done.

I found a great link in this forum that lists suggested apps for accomplishing all sorts of things. I've found it helpful as a guideline. http://forum.androidcentral.com/325475-post12.html

I am also astounded that the OS forces me to take multiple steps to accomplish simple tasks. They seem to make simple tasks quite difficult. I'm still reminding myself that I left my "business" phone behind when I left RIM and have moved into an entirely different technological world. I can only hope they'll correct some of the obvious exclusions in subsequent OS updates.

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea overall I like Android better, and as I download different apps to do some of the tasks I miss its making my experience that much better. I guess Android right now is a platform that takes time to customize to your needs and wants. And the customization even with the different skins is why I chose Android over iOS.

crisg723

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Notification apps allow for those settings.

Hold back to close an app.

There are directional buttons on every keyboard, go to your alternates then click the <>.

Anything else?

edit: I guess holding back doesn't close all apps. You have 2 gb of ram, why do you need to close every app? Task manager should do that as it needs to anyway

The stock Atrix keyboard has no directional buttons, what is a good keyboard to download that has that plus other good functions?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The stock Atrix keyboard has no directional buttons, what is a good keyboard to download that has that plus other good functions?

On the advice of the good people here, I downloaded the Gingerbread keyboard and like it much better than any of the others I tried. You may have to try a few before you find one that meets your needs. For typing, this is the only keyboard, so far, that I can almost manage.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am LOVING both MultiLing Keyboard (constantly updated and improved, btw. When I say constantly, it's like 3-4 times a week lol), and more recently, the SwiftKey 2 Beta. The Swiftkey one has arrows at the bottom, and the MultiLing one most likely does too, but it must be in the settings somewhere, because I don't have the arrows shown on my MUltiLing Keyboard right now, but I could've sworn it had them before..

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yea I agree there are alot of useful options that are offered with BB and that are not present or are harder(annoying) to use with android,but theres isnt much we can do but wait untill more options are offered.
I can't sit here and talk negative stuff because this phone is way better than my BB STORM anyday.Its just mainly getting used to a new Os but the phone is awsome.Ringtone settings and such aren't hard to customize but copy and paste really makes me angry because its just plain harder.Keep your cool the update is coming and will improve this already powerful phone even more.

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
On the advice of the good people here, I downloaded the Gingerbread keyboard and like it much better than any of the others I tried. You may have to try a few before you find one that meets your needs. For typing, this is the only keyboard, so far, that I can almost manage.

Tunie, have you tried 'better keyboard 8'. Just got it and really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc