Why would you root your Captivate?

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
A few reasons:

1. Wireless tether
2. Sideload of apps directly
3. Enable Market view of hidden apps (you can do this without root, but you can't load some of them).
4. Ability to load other ROMs

It is not as necessary as a jailbreak of an iPhone, but it does give you some additional options that you normally don't have.

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the nice answer! I have the sideloader app covered, so I guess no rooting is necessary for me :) Sideloading isn't really necessary either, I did it for eReader which sucked but I'm prepared for the future anyhow.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well let's see besides the obvious reasons to root.. The best reason is to get rid of the att bloatware because you need root to run Titanium Backup to remove the bloatware. As well as Market Enabler to get rid of the Att Market Restrictions *censorship*. Gives access to make your phone more like a regular Android Phone..

Cheers,
Charlie

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't even see the bloatware, and haven't noticed the restrictions yet, what are the apps that you use that aren't allowed by ATT?

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Try Searching for Easytether under ATT Android Market. That is the censorship of At&t, where T-Mobile and Sprint do not restrict the market place. My guess is some of the Tethering Apps Att does not want because they want people to pay for Tethering which under their old unlimited plan, does not allow.

Cheers,
Charlie

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
To remove bloatware and to put in a good backup schedule.
I have Titanium Backup running a backup every night so that I can restore my phone should something happen to it.

droidandme

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I am new to this forum and have a question for rooting.
Is there any issues with security/data leaking after rooting?
I like to root my phone and use banking program as well.

BigDog1

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
C'mon people, I'm a newbie here (new to android), we r making a fuss about ATT bloat ware, is it really an issue when u have 16Gb of space in the phone and can add another 16Gb via an external sd card? I do agree that most of the att apps are useless and and not worth the cost, but r they that bothersome?
On my Captivate I am runnig Launcher pro ad it allowas me to hide all the att apps that I don't want. this is what I have done and now it is as if they do not exist on my phone. I have read someware that hiding is what most rooting schme is doing. that is a safer way than to go messing with the phone that could cause bricking.
If I am lacking in wisdom on the matter, please teach me.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
C'mon people, I'm a newbie here (new to android), we r making a fuss about ATT bloat ware, is it really an issue when u have 16Gb of space in the phone and can add another 16Gb via an external sd card? I do agree that most of the att apps are useless and and not worth the cost, but r they that bothersome?
On my Captivate I am runnig Launcher pro ad it allowas me to hide all the att apps that I don't want. this is what I have done and now it is as if they do not exist on my phone. I have read someware that hiding is what most rooting schme is doing. that is a safer way than to go messing with the phone that could cause bricking.
If I am lacking in wisdom on the matter, please teach me.

You only have 2GB for apps on the phone. Do you realize that...and most people just don't want to have the bloatware on their phone. If you don't use their apps why need them honestly. Oh, and you are able to go up to 32gb on the SD card, not 16gb like you said.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
security

I am new to this forum and have a question for rooting.
Is there any issues with security/data leaking after rooting?
I like to root my phone and use banking program as well.

Rooting won't stop an app from stealing your data like those banking apps. It simply allows you to obtain administrator privileges and before an app can be granted those privileges you first have to allow it.

WwonderLlama

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering why this would be necessary... not a criticism but a question, please enlighten me :)

I rooted because of the horrible lag I ran into when using apps that save data while you use the app. Basically, anything that persists your selections as you make them. Games were mostly okay, since they only save when you quit. However, media players that save your position constantly, GroceryIQ which saves status every time you tap, etc.

This'll give you an idea of what I was seeing:
Stock vs. Rooted+Lagfixed Captivate - Lag differences (YouTube)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress