Waiting for FROYO? You can still nearly DOUBLE YOUR QUADRANT SCORES! [Tutorial]

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Requirements:

1. SD Card at least greater than 2GB.
2. Software to create a 3EXT partition on your SD card.

I am now getting 1500 Quadrant speed scores wit a 4GB kingston SD card. Class does not matter. My phone now eclipses the Nexus One 2.2.

As soon as Froyo comes out, expect quadrant scores in the 3000s with this fix.

DISCLAIMER (Taken from XDA link below)
DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.
ME OR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED/DEAD DEVICES AND/OR DEAD SD CARDS.

YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND EVERY STEP IN THIS HOW-TO BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO FOLLOW.

No follow this link for the tutorial. Please donate to the authors (ONLY ATTEMPT IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH CMD COMMANDS):
[HACK][HOW-TO] Fix lags w/ ext3 sd partition on STOCK firmware. 6 Aug 2010 - xda-developers

If you feel that you have mess up your Kernel, the easiest way to fix your phone is to just reflash your STOCK KERNEL which you can download here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=733937

By flashing the stock Kernel should undo and modifications you did to your Kernel.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just read that entire thread and would encourage everyone else considering this to do the same. It seems like a mixed bag, with some people reporting a lot of issues.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just read that entire thread and would encourage everyone else considering this to do the same. It seems like a mixed bag, with some people reporting a lot of issues.

Problems consist of not following the ADB shell commands correctly. I will edit my first post with disclaimers.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
After reading through all the options, I have made the change with ext2 instead.

I am seeing no lag whatsoever (phone is real peppy now) and quadrant scores are around 2100.

Of course quadrant scores do not mean much, because this fix just makes the I/O superfast, without affecting memory, 2d- and 3d-rendering, etc. The total score jumps up because I/O is off the chart...

The real reason behin doing this is to make the phone respond faster.

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Of course quadrant scores do not mean much, because this fix just makes the I/O superfast, without affecting memory, 2d- and 3d-rendering, etc. The total score jumps up because I/O is off the chart...

The real reason behin doing this is to make the phone respond faster.

But isn't that the point? The I/O was the bottle neck, and that was creating the real world lag. The Quadrant score and the real world experience are directly related this way.

The problem with Quadrant is that it doesn't breakdown each part of the test so that you can quickly see where the phone excels and where its lagging be hind. The only way that you could really tell the Captivate was lagging in I/O was that those test took the longest to complete.

zrx12mike

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I did this install Sunday. The short story is my final quadrant score using the ext2 was 2490. The phone is very snappy. The longer story is that make sure you backup and follow the directions completely. I had to recover with Odin3, which isn't a big deal, but I did have to recover. The phone would not boot at all. From a fresh install everything went well. Complete instructions from XDA and I included the lag fix in optional step 2. ★ ☆ ★ SRE v1.2.1a ★ ☆ ★ | NO MORE ODIN + Root + OC 1.2GHz + MobileAP + USB Tether - xda-developers
I did complete a quadrant after the install without the lag fix and my score was just over 1100. After the ext2 is when I got almost 2500.