Bit of a Rom noob, need some advice.

franklyshankly

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I've had a captivate for a few months, and hat it rooted, bloatware removed, etc.

Got REALLY sick of waiting on the mythical 2.2 update so I decided to use a custom rom.

Went through the whole procedure to install Cognition 2.3.3b6, used Rom manager, made a backup of my current rom, etcetera.

Long story short, when i install cognition, i didn't select to wipe everything. I was under the impression cognition would still have touchwiz, and i wouldn't lose my data.

Lo and behold, cognition installs, but it's a totally different interface, and all of my data is gone. No biggie, I have a backup, so i download rom manager and flash back to my saved one. During this process, my phone goes through the install seemingly properly, restarts, and then is bricked. It sits at the ATT world phone page indefinitely. So, I put it in download mode and manage to flash back to stock. Of course, now I have indeed fully lost everything.

I'm not complaining, I know it's my own fault for doing this, I'm not blaming anyone or anything, I just need some advice.

I was thinking of installing the leaked 2.2 from the main captivate forum, but I can't go through all 100+ pages of that thread to see how to root that version. Also, it still seems somewhat buggy from what I've read.

Alsternatively, should i try reflashing cognition, and see if it actually installs properly this time?

Or, should I just sit my noob ass down and wait for official 2.2 release, seeing as I'm clearly not very good at this. :(

Sorry for the extended post, thanks for any help!

franklyshankly

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
well, i saw all my files were still there in my internal SD somehow. So, I tried restoring the backup with rom manager again, and it worked this time.

So, I got all my apps, contacts, etc. back. Made sure to backup with TiBu at that point.

Then I decided to try cognition again. Re-downloaded the files, and try installing.

Same thing happens of course. It looks like stock android UI, and all my apps are gone.

Unless I'm totally misinformed, cognition is supposed to have touchwiz, and if i don't select to wipe user data it's not supposed to delete my apps right?

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Whenever you install a ROM it is basically stock to what the cook has created. Cognition is basically Froyo 2.2 running a launcher with most if not all ATT apps removed. You need to get a 3rd party app that will back up your apps, like Titanium Backup. That is the one I personally use but I believe I have heard about others I just do not know their names. When you do that you will be able to restore your apps through TiBu without much issue. Make sure if you use this app that you do not restore system data, only app data because system data can corrupt your phone and give you endless Force Close's. The free version of TiBu is good but you have to select each app to install where as paying for it will automatically install your apps.

Not to many Rom makers leave Touchwiz installed on the phone. You can install just Froyo 2.2 that has Touchwiz and not worry about a Rom but it won't be as good as what these guys are putting out with TW removed.

franklyshankly

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, yeah i noticed that different released of cognition have and don't have TW. I managed to get perception running, and added TW to it. I am using TiBu pro, thanks for the tip about not restoring system data, i wouldn't have known that otherwise.

I don't really have anything against other UIs I had just gotten used to TW is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress