Friend's Captivate

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm at a buddy's house with my windows laptop because he's got a mac and wanted to update his captivate.

I have an issue in that when I open kies it says "Please connect your mobile phone" I can't even access his phone to use it's file system. My initial thought is that the phone's usb port isn't functioning properly and that leaves me to the question.

Can you update your captivate without Kies or a wire? Can I download a file via Dropbox and then update from a boot screen or something?

Thanks a lot guys.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm at a buddy's house with my windows laptop because he's got a mac and wanted to update his captivate.

I have an issue in that when I open kies it says "Please connect your mobile phone" I can't even access his phone to use it's file system. My initial thought is that the phone's usb port isn't functioning properly and that leaves me to the question.

Can you update your captivate without Kies or a wire? Can I download a file via Dropbox and then update from a boot screen or something?

Thanks a lot guys.

did you download and install the drivers?

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help man.

Installed the drivers.
Plugged in the captivate, nothing, no installing drivers, no windows acknowledgement at all.

I think his phone is messed up. Should I tell him to take it to the att store?

I wish there was a way to install it via recovery.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help man.

Installed the drivers.
Plugged in the captivate, nothing, no installing drivers, no windows acknowledgement at all.

I think his phone is messed up. Should I tell him to take it to the att store?

I wish there was a way to install it via recovery.

can you do a factory reset and see if it connects after that,,,,let me see if i can find a solution for you

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I asked him, he's worried about his contacts being backed up from his sim. Any way to get the sim contacts on google?

from the contacts screen hit the menu button , then there should be import/export, you should be able to save to sd card / to sim card

also you can
settings>accounts and sync>choose the gmail account then it will give you options to sync to the gmail account,,

most likely they are already sync'd , go to the gmail account from the computer and check the contacts section

also try this remove the SD card for a minute and then reinsert. just for good measure

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Went to the gmail account and they're not there.

I exported to SD card, but I thought the Captivate doesn't have an SD card, but rather internal storage only.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I asked him, he mailed att his sd card on accident. Dude, we're both spending too much time on this. My friend is a moron when it comes to this kind of stuff.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok when you go to contacts, menu button , import export,, is there an option to send via> select all> then email it?

Im pretty tenacious when it comes to this stuff lol

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
menu options are create, search, display options, speed dial, get friends, more. I hit more then import/export and all I get is import to sd and export to sd. Because this foolish person lost his sd card, he cannot export.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
menu options are create, search, display options, speed dial, get friends, more. I hit more then import/export and all I get is import to sd and export to sd. Because this foolish person lost his sd card, he cannot export.

and cant you pop your sd card in , export it, check it on your phone, then restore, pop your card in , import then be done with it?

sorry i have a fascinate so i dont know all the options on att phones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89