Deleting default ringtones...

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
New snafu..its saying that it is a read only file system..not sure how to work around this, as II haven't used linux in a long time and I do not remember all the chmod commands.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
New snafu..its saying that it is a read only file system..not sure how to work around this, as II haven't used linux in a long time and I do not remember all the chmod commands.

The first responder had the answer with Root Explorer. Those files exist in areas of Android that Android will not allow just ANYONE to go around deleting things willy-nilly. The normal file browsers cannot do it. I have seen a free Root file explorer, but Root Explorer is one of those that is ultimately worth the money, IMO.

Good luck.

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site

Root Explorer has a button at the top of the screen when you're in the root folder for toggling on/off the ability to edit the contents of the root folder. It's a sort of safety precaution. I'm not sure if your app has this option somewhere.

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Just found out by snooping around that ES File Explorer's root explorer function is experimental...looks like it is back to the drawing board.

I just can't afford to spend right now. Trying to save up for a trip.

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there are other ways, but using a file explorer is the best for people like me that don't do code/scripts.

Copying should work to back up your files. Copy them to a folder of your choice on your SD card and go back and delete it. It's kind of a long way but if File Expert does let you copy and delete you should be good to go to backup and remove what you want.

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok I finally figured out once and for all how to delete the ringtones using ES file explorer :)

Got everything under control now. Thanks one and all for all the help.