BS!!! No HSUPA on the Captivate?

Kiserai

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just wondering why nobody has really covered the fact that the HSUPA radio in the Captivate is disabled by AT&T. Seems to me that it should have made more news than it has, especially considering it wasn't disabled by T-Mobile on the Vibrant. I find it really crappy that the hardware is perfectly capable of having those higher upload speeds like the Nexus One and the iPhone 4 have on AT&T, but AT&T has actively denied Captivate owners access to that faster network.

Once the Captivate comes out on the Rogers network the XDA community will have their uncrippled radio available for those of us savvy enough to do it, but that still doesn't change that a lot of people are paying the same data rates as the iPhone 4 owners and getting less for their money.

I would really love to see an article pointing this out to people so they know what they're getting when they buy a Captivate. I would also love to see this link:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

For complaining about it to the FTC and this link:

AT&T | Facebook

For comlaining about it on their Facebook wall.

Hey, squeaky wheel gets the grease. :) Plus, this has me really chapped. Viva la revolucion!

Kiserai

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow I'd be pissed too. Can it be unlocked if you root your phone?

Not sure what you mean by "unlocked" but if you're rooted you can use the radio firmware from other Galaxy S devices on the Captivate and get HSUPA. They've done it with the european Galaxy S and the Vibrant, but it only gives HSUPA on the 1900MHz frequencies. Since AT&T is mostly 850, it doesn't really do you much good.

Rogers, however, works on both 1900 and 850 and so its radio would be perfect for the AT&T Captivate. As soon as it gets into the hands of the right person it will be on XDA for everybody to download and install.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the big issue even reading on XDA, the reason Att has not enabled it on the Captivate is because the Captivate is already a Bandwidth hog but the iPhone 4 is even worse. It has been proven that the Captivate does support HSUPA, but att decided to keep it off but who knows, whenever the iPhone jumps over to another carrier in usa, then I am sure ATT will unlock hsupa on all android phones. We just have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Charlie

jdunn

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is unbelievable. Thank God for rooting. Hopefully when froyo comes out though some of the issues will be taken care of and the rest can be fixed through rooting. I just can't believe how badly AT&T treats it's customers. Simply amazing.