Wifi/3G Question

cyraxx

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Captivate today, and it's great. I've been using the WiFi in my house, except for a very brief spell on 3G. 3G watchdog said that I had used 512.1 KB while on 3G. I then went back on WiFi to continue downloading apps and whatnot. I checked again and it is now up to 512.9 KB, and it hasn't been on 3G at all. My sister also got a Captivate, and I noticed that while hers is on WiFi it has the "WiFi" symbol, and the "3G" symbol is gone, but not on mine. I still have the 3G up when using WiFi, so I think this may be the problem. Any idea how to fix this?

acrazzyhobo

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a captivate( yet! ) but maybe you can go into the settings of the phone and turn the 3g off or put it on airplane mode while you download apps and whatnot.

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
That's a very tiny amount but seems like something is not using the WiFi. Could be an app or it could be the system. I would kill all apps/processes and then test it again.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well what you want to do is go into settings/Wireless and network/Wi-Fi Settings/Advanced/Wi-Fi sleep policy and set it too never. Then when you are connected to Wifi, never use the Edge or 3G when wifi is connected. It will save from using up your 200 MB limit. I do this when I am at home because my phone does not pull a good 3G reception at my house and I use my wireless router for network. But when I am in a 3G area, I turn off wifi since I have unlimited data... 4 - 5 days into my new billing cycle I have used over 142 MB of data, so the basic plan would not work. But once my house gets a strong 3G signal, I will be using more of the network then, since technically 3G is faster then my T1 line!

HTH,
Charlie

bluffing024

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Well what you want to do is go into settings/Wireless and network/Wi-Fi Settings/Advanced/Wi-Fi sleep policy and set it too never. Then when you are connected to Wifi, never use the Edge or 3G when wifi is connected. It will save from using up your 200 MB limit. I do this when I am at home because my phone does not pull a good 3G reception at my house and I use my wireless router for network. But when I am in a 3G area, I turn off wifi since I have unlimited data... 4 - 5 days into my new billing cycle I have used over 142 MB of data, so the basic plan would not work. But once my house gets a strong 3G signal, I will be using more of the network then, since technically 3G is faster then my T1 line!

HTH,
Charlie

Why on earth would you use 3G over your home WiFi if it became available!? That's ludicrous.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth would you use 3G over your home WiFi if it became available!? That's ludicrous.

Well 3g can hit 2 - 3 Mb download per second versus my t1 line is 1.5 Mb per second down and up! The only way to make my connection faster would to order another t1 to get 3 Mb per second or I can order up 3 more t1 lines to get 6 Mb per second down and up but that would be around $ 1000 or more a month! Plus I have unlimited data and I would not mind using as much data as I could! So for now my wifi is actually faster then edge though!

Hth,
Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well 3g can hit 2 - 3 Mb download per second versus my t1 line is 1.5 Mb per second down and up! The only way to make my connection faster would to order another t1 to get 3 Mb per second or I can order up 3 more t1 lines to get 6 Mb per second down and up but that would be around $ 1000 or more a month! Plus I have unlimited data and I would not mind using as much data as I could! So for now my wifi is actually faster then edge though!

Hth,
Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Don't you have cable in your area?

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't you have cable in your area?

No Cable, No Regular DSL, I have the following options:

Dial up *no way*
isdn dsl aka idsl *100 - 120 a month for only 144 kbps down and up not worth it I had it for 5 years and got rid of it*
T1 *1.5 Mbps down and up but $ 300 a month and I am using this now* Also expandable up too 6.0 Mbps down and up.
Satellite *close to T1 down speeds and some packages are faster but upload it max of 384K and the prices are close to T1 speeds but with out the SLA like a T1*.

If I could get cable out at my house, I live on a lemon/avocado ranch so I am stuck but considering T1 is great for the speed and sla *service level agreement*, The local Telco has 4 hours to get my service back up in the event it ever goes down. So all in all, well worth it especially I have been 4 days with out a net connection because a pole went down and Verizon took that long to repair it, where now they have to do it or I get refunded $ 10 a day it is down!

Cheers,
Charlie

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non