GPS possibly fixed with AT&Ts FOTA roll out.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I know with the JH2, JH3 and JH7 builds that some users reported seeing an improvement with GPS, but not everyone. Some of the newer ROMs (SRE) use the JH builds and include a GPS caching fix to almost entirely correct the problem.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Samsung just hit us up and says the update DOES address the GPS. Gonna have to test it. :)

An update to improve the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance is now available. Captivate customers will receive a notification on their device that an update is available and will simply need to download the file to update their phone. The updates will be pushed to customers? devices over the next few weeks.

The update for the Captivate will also improve additional device functions, such as media scanning time, add the full version of Quickoffice and address Microsoft Exchange 2003 policy support.​

www.androidcentral.com/samsung-announces-captivate-gps-fix

jackmehoffer2

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Just updated my One Click Rooted phone, works perfectly.
Running Stock ROM.
Phone is still Rooted.
Wireless Tethering still works
GPS Works Fine Now.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Just got the update myself. GPS locks quick. SWEEEEEETTT!!!! hahahahah Now........WHERES FROYO!?!?! LMAO

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The pessimist in me says that this update coming on September 23 is a consolation prize due to the fact we will not be getting Froyo in September as promised.

Why would they roll out an update this late in the month if they were going to turn around in less than a week and send out another one to Android 2.2.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
GPS Fix. FAIL.

Updated this morning and went for a walk outside to see if this fixes the issue. Clear skys no obstructions and I can see 1 sat. And, to top it off, it looks like their fix also disabled the key sequence to get into LBtest mode. Nice. Not happy with this, especially as other users are able to get it to work?

BetaRoc

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I click on my Software Update in my Settings menu and a small box pops up that says:

DM Initialization is not ready. Check Network or SIM card.

WTH?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Im honestly glad that I didnt do anything with trying to root the phone and all that. I have no problems at all. It locks fine. I just dont see how its not working for other people. People mess up there phones doing other things and affect things like this.