USB-PC/Device Connectivity Issues... Tech savvy but I need a second opinion.

RaptorOne3

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey! And thanks for taking interest in my issue!

Here's the situation -

My PC is running Windows 7 64Bit.

I have the AT&T Captivate fully updated. (2.1-update1)

The phone connects to the PC via USB>Mount procedure without issue. My Computer lists both disks and the F: drive is accessible and shows me the phones file system. No problem there...

Here's where my problem arises. When I navigate through the file system my Windows Explorer begins to hang and eventually freezes up (Not Responding) seemingly at random... It doesn't matter which folder I'm in.

The only thing I have noticed is in the Address Bar/Current Location field at the top of the Windows Explorer window the green progress bar begins to fill across slowly but steadily. It gets just about to the end, by the little red X in the field and then it just hangs completely. Nothing else responds within that window. If I let it sit there for a few minutes it seems to work itsself out of whatever is causing it to hang, but as soon as I click in the window again, it's back to square one.

This is making it almost impossible to alter/move/replace files on my device. The strange thing about this is, when I first had hooked the device up to my PC this way, it worked flawlessly! Files were flying back and forth like tennis balls. I was pumped.

But the very next time I tried to transfer some files, in the exact same fashion, I ran into this issue. So far no luck.

What I have tried thus far -

- Reinstalled all drivers.
- Restarted both the PC and the Phone multiple times.
- Tried multiple USB ports on the mainboard.
- Killed as many running processes on the device and PC as possible.

Again... No go...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm seriously stumped. :confused: TIA!!

bdpyo

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem as well, when I plug the phone into the charger it says it's charging, then when I unplug the phone, it continues to say it's charging.

I tried hooking it up to the computer and there was no response. :/

RaptorOne3

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Update!

Problem Solved!

Turned out to be a bad USB cable. One of the prongs were bent...

LOL WTF????

OF ALL THINGS!

BDPYO - Have you tried updating your device yet?

RaptorOne3

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I almost forgot!

I ran into another issue while testing different USB cables. For some strange reason the Captivate seems to not like USB extension cables. Umm, I'm not sure if it has to do with signal strength through the cable (highly unlikely but plausible.) or if my USB extension cable is shot (plausible but also highly unlikely as it works perfect for my flash drives) but the device was not transfering with the PC at all, even though it was recognized and displayed as USBMSD.

Not sure but I would recommend double checking all USB connections and cables before pondering if it is a device related issue.