1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Froyo's built-in screen capture

I've seen a couple of threads that say Froyo has screen capture. Supposedly while holding the back button push the power button(one thread) or the home button(the other thread). Neither works for me. The annoying thing is it happened once by mistake and the Gallery screencapture directory has one cap. I suppose I could have fat fingered the home and back at the same time. Is there a secret to getting this working. I know there are apps, but this bugs me.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I know this works on the Epic, Fascinate, Charge, and Transform, but I've never heard of it working on the Cappy. There may be a secret way to get it to work though. Just keep pushing buttons

my 5 year old has managed to take a few screen shots but I haven't figured out how to yet.
    but it does work.... somehow....
    jb

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    ROM
    GR-12

I found this which says:

When you are in the specific screen which you desire to take Screenshot, Press the Back button in right bottom and hold it. While holding Back button now press Home button in the middle. You will hear a capture sound and in moment it will appear Screen captured. Save as image file
    I'm on GR-12 (Gingerbread) and it does not work. Maybe it does on Froyo.

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Yep, it does happen... I accidentally took a screen cap the other night and have no idea exactly how.

I was in the standard Facebook app and was trying to head back to my home screen. I think I pressed the Home and Back buttons and that's what did it. It made the shutter sound and said a notification at the bottom "Screen Capture Saved..." or something along those lines, and it made a new folder in the Gallery for "Screen Captures."

Any attempts I've had at duplicating produced nothing.

I'm using a Froyo Captivate no root, just straight up.

Here's the proof! My screen cap!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Froyo's built-in screen capture-sc20110531-203115.png  
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I press back-home and "ScreenCaptureService" shows up in Settings->Applications->Running Services. I'm thinking the key press is trying to work, but only gets it half right. It sounds like a timing issue, to me.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
    I press back-home and "ScreenCaptureService" shows up in Settings->Applications->Running Services. I'm thinking the key press is trying to work, but only gets it half right. It sounds like a timing issue, to me.
    Right you are. I didn't even think to check there for confirmation. Just killed the service and tried Back + Home and it started the service back up with a timer showing it just started. That's gotta be the button combination but it just doesn't work.

We're starting to figure this out now!

Try pressing and holding 'back' and then pressing the power button.

Why fight it? I just use "shoot me" and it works fine

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    I have no real interest or desire to root my phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I'm happy for you. Read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by fender7217 View Post
    I have no real interest or desire to root my phone.
    I didn't either for quite awhile..but then a buddy showed me how and it took about 30 seconds. There's too many apps that only work with root to avoid it really

ROM
    Serendipity VII

I didn't either for quite awhile..but then a buddy showed me how and it took about 30 seconds. There's too many apps that only work with root to avoid it really
    THIS ^^^

Default Re: Froyo's built-in screen capture

I unintentionally screen cap at least a couple of times a day. I feel like it typically happens when I try to lock my screen. I've tried to duplicate the process with absolutely no success. Dumb.

Oh. Woah. Just figured it out. Hold back button and push lock/power button...that was easy...

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

On my Galaxy S2 I have to press the home button + power button at the same time and it works (no root required), thanks Samsung.

Sent from my GT-I9100
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by heykatiexcore View Post
    Oh. Woah. Just figured it out. Hold back button and push lock/power button...that was easy...
    Didn't work for me.. At least, I don't think it did. Do the screen captures show up in the gallery after they are created?

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

works without being rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
    works without being rooted.
    I have a dumb question....how do I get it on my captivate in the first place?
    It's not in the market, and when I try to install it from this page (the link in Dolphin browser), nothing happens after I click install.
    Not to mention that the name of my phone is grayed out and the only option is "to phone."
    And yes, I have upgraded to Froyo.

how did you manage to do this? all the information i'm getting about rooting requires a lot of work.

ROM
    Teamhacksungs ICS port

Quote Originally Posted by seeknstrike View Post
    how did you manage to do this? all the information i'm getting about rooting requires a lot of work.
    Root = Easy as 1,2,3. Read the first post in this thread and you will be good to go

it doesnt work for me, but then I am on Gingerbread.

This app is not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate SGH-I897