Another wifi issue !! SOLVED !!

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay I figured it out. With the note 2, you either need it protected or completely unprotected. You may not have an unsecured network with WPS available. If you do the note tells the router where to go.
If you plan on using your phone in an unprotected wifi network, go into the router settings and completely disable WPS. It'll work like a dream.
Big huge thanks to MatroxD for helping me reason this out. If you need anything buddy, give me a hollar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Glad it worked out for you. That is interesting, but not completely unheard of.

But cool! As long as you got it worked out!

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. That is interesting, but not completely unheard of.

But cool! As long as you got it worked out!

Yep you hit the nail on the head.. MatroxD and a bunch of others are terrific. 6 pack included.

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Are we talking about the slowness of wifi on these devices? If so when I am at my parents house on there wifi I notice that its faster on my phone then it is at our house on our wifi. I believe we have the same settings on each network. My dad knows a lot and I had him look at ours here at the house, but it just doesn't make sense.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Are we talking about the slowness of wifi on these devices? If so when I am at my parents house on there wifi I notice that its faster on my phone then it is at our house on our wifi. I believe we have the same settings on each network. My dad knows a lot and I had him look at ours here at the house, but it just doesn't make sense.

Could be a few things. His issue was connection period. Yours could be tweeks, emi, the router and it's antenna strength, if other things are slow, bandwidth, channel selection, etc. Could justbe the location of the router also. I hadto run a repeater simply becausei hada very consistent strength drop due to walls and thati can'trun my own router that hasa much stronger amplified antenna within it, versus their poj access point. Could be a lot of things. More info is required.

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ahh alright yeah my dad has a repeater as well. It could be the strength from the router. Good call. I do notice as well when I am up in my old bedroom its a little slower than where the repeater is. Good call I didnt think of that at all.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, lol, good call!

I have been doing networking/pc troubleshooting for years. It's, for me, one of those things just ingrained in my brain.

The repeaters they have it now are great, as they work very easily and effectively. I almost recommend them by default for those that have multiple level homes or like going, for instance outside a lot. You just plug one in near the spot thats slow, or you "want"a clear signal, a Viola, never an issue again for that area period!

A lot of times, unless you have an extremely large floorplan/square footage home, it will boost the signal on the entire floor(that is, if that is your goal). I love them, I just use one that is like a dummy router, as it allows me to run an external amplified antenna that boosts the signal even more.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You can pick up an encore router on amazon for less than $30 that has repeater mode. I recommend them as I use them myself. Grab one of he can't hook you up.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Before you spend any money, get an app called Wifi Analyzer.

Compare the signal strength in various parts of both houses, that should tell you if you need more hardware. And also check the channels you and the neighbors use. You can change that on your router if you need to.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I know the term sounds familiar, but I don't know what it exactly is.

Is it referring to the portable devices that you can use to create a shared hotspot by taping into the wireless carriers network?

If so, I have only witnessed one in use, and with the technology in these devices, unless you just have to host quite a few nodes (in this case portable), I would just use my phone? To be honest, I am not well versed in this type of communication. I had thought about purchasing one, just to tinker, but I just can't justify the expense within.

Zyquan Howard

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem ever since a couple days ago my wifi has not been working on my phone. I click the wifi check box it says scanning for a little bit... & then it say "Unable To Scan For Networks" my router is perfectly fine. I need help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non