Considering the Note, some questions - ATT speed, size, belt case

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm considering upgrading from my Droid 2. I want a global phone and Verizon's offerings are almost nill. Going from a slider back to touchscreen typing (used to have an iPhone 3G for 2 years) I was thinking I would want a bigger phone such as this. I tested it out in 2 AT&T stores and find the phone size to work fine in my hand as I have long fingers anyway.

Couple of things though... I tested the 4G speed and was pretty appalled. Speed down was never more than 10 megabits and up... oh my God up was soooo slow!!! Like 1 megabit or less, no joke. This was in two different stores, one at Times Square in Manhattan and the other in Jersey. I mean, what gives?? Is AT&T's 4G really that bad? Second concern was the size of a belt pouch. I always use a belt pouch and unfortunately, while there are tons of belt cases online, the stores always have none. But, I put the phone up to my belt and crouched like sitting position and it seems the phone might very well sit fine in a belt pouch. If not, then it could always be set vertically as a number of cases rotate between horizontal and vertical.

So, what's the consensus on AT&T's LTE speed and carrying the Note with a belt case? Also, have any of you with long fingers still found any issues using it one handed? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

Rev.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Considering the Note, some questions - ATT speed, size, belt

I've had the note for about 2 months now. Data speeds have been pretty good(especially coming from Sprint). 10mbps down and 1mbps up seem pretty good to me. I've reached as high as 58mbps down and over 10mbps up in several different area's in MD/VA.

As for a belt case, I think it may look funny. I've carried belt cases with my blackberry and HTC Evo 3D. Even with the 3D, it borderlined on looking huge..i can only imagine how big a belt case would look for the Note.

I have avg sized hands probably and can use it one handed most of the time, but I've also adapted the way I hold it.

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Your speed may very. Each carrier has a region where they are good and bad. I hear the East Cost is Sprints best area. Texas and such belong to SBC/Cingular (AT&T) and Version is the West Coast. Here in Texas, my LTE Speeds are blazing.

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

So, I'm considering upgrading from my Droid 2. I want a global phone and Verizon's offerings are almost nill. Going from a slider back to touchscreen typing (used to have an iPhone 3G for 2 years) I was thinking I would want a bigger phone such as this. I tested it out in 2 AT&T stores and find the phone size to work fine in my hand as I have long fingers anyway.
Couple of things though... I tested the 4G speed and was pretty appalled. Speed down was never more than 10 megabits and up... oh my God up was soooo slow!!! Like 1 megabit or less, no joke. This was in two different stores, one at Times Square in Manhattan and the other in Jersey. I mean, what gives?? Is AT&T's 4G really that bad? Second concern was the size of a belt pouch. I always use a belt pouch and unfortunately, while there are tons of belt cases online, the stores always have none. But, I put the phone up to my belt and crouched like sitting position and it seems the phone might very well sit fine in a belt pouch. If not, then it could always be set vertically as a number of cases rotate between horizontal and vertical.
So, what's the consensus on AT&T's LTE speed and carrying the Note with a belt case? Also, have any of you with long fingers still found any issues using it one handed? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

Rev.
I was just considering the belt case issue today. Was looking at some photos of what they would look like before I even saw this thread. It would seem to me that a vertical case would work better than a horizontal one for this phone because of size issues.

Here is a good photo of what I've looked at so far:

... and here is a whole series of other photos to look at to get some other ideas that might interest you:
Samsung Galaxy Note Belt Cases (Google Search)

I would really like to know what this phone would feel like on a belt though (anyone here using one on a belt case?)

By the way I used to live in NJ and the speeds for T-Mobile in my area were incredible. I bring this up because just yesterday Android Central broke the news of the Galaxy Note coming to TMo soon (T-Mobile Galaxy Note Shows Its Gigantic Self (WITH ICS))

Last edited:

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things though... I tested the 4G speed and was pretty appalled. Speed down was never more than 10 megabits and up... oh my God up was soooo slow!!! Like 1 megabit or less, no joke. This was in two different stores, one at Times Square in Manhattan and the other in Jersey. I mean, what gives?? Is AT&T's 4G really that bad?

So, what's the consensus on AT&T's LTE speed

Rev.

Are you talking 4G or LTE? Remember those are two different things on AT&T.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Coming from Sprint here in Kansas City (Sprint's backyard), I get very good LTE speeds with ATT...hence, why I switched over (2-3/1 on Sprint's WiMax in a good area...don't even want to talk about those horrible 3G speeds---18-20/5-6 on ATT's LTE in a good area). So for me if I was getting those speeds on LTE, I'd be very happy...again, this is coming from Sprint.

As for using a carrying case...well, I carry a manbag aka meurse, lol. I always have my tab and Note on me. Plus, it just feels sooo much better not having my wallet, keys, and various other things in my pockets. Yeah, I get it from my friends, but no worries...it works for me. Just throwing it out there. Insert funny remarks here ______________________________.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Are you talking 4G or LTE? Remember those are two different things on AT&T.

LTE. I tried the HTC One X too and had the same results and it said 4G LTE up in the top right corner.

Rev.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

If possible ask the rep at the NYC store if they will walk to the door with you - or just outside. All 5 boroughs of NYC are LTE now I believe and the store must be affecting the signal some I was just in Manhattan on Wednesday and got 22 down and 12 up. In the Battery Parking Garage on my GNote!

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Agreed.
The 5 boroughs there is lte, but some spots signal and outside obstructions affect the speed. I work in the city and some spots I run the test I get 10-13 down and 7-9 up while others 25-27 down and 11-13 up.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Makes sense. Both locations were in unfavourable buildings. One was downstairs, in Times Square, and the one in Jersey was in a mall. I'm planning on trying out the Note now though. I talked to ATT and they said they can give me a new phone number for the 30 day trial period and if I decide to keep the phone they can then later switch my Verizon mobile number over. So, it seems pretty hassle free to give it a trial run with hopeful intent to keep it.

Rev.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

also i dont know how it is by you but every at&t by me has instore wifi and has all the phones connected to that. Not sure if that might have been an issue or not.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense. Both locations were in unfavourable buildings. One was downstairs, in Times Square, and the one in Jersey was in a mall. I'm planning on trying out the Note now though. I talked to ATT and they said they can give me a new phone number for the 30 day trial period and if I decide to keep the phone they can then later switch my Verizon mobile number over. So, it seems pretty hassle free to give it a trial run with hopeful intent to keep it.

Rev.

Rev, this is exactly what I did. I left Sprint for At&t and the Note.

I signed up with a temporary number for 30 days and kept my old number and line open with Sprint.

At about the 25th day when I knew I was going to keep the device (I was hooked) I had At&t cancel the temporary number, port my old number from Sprint, and then deactivated Sprint line.

I still have an account with Sprint because my wife and kids still have their lines, but I'm on At&t with the best device on the market :)

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site

^^^
Me too...my contract ends with Sprint on 5/3 and on 5/4 I will have my number ported over to ATT...ending my 2yrs on a sub-par data network. I'm glad I took the test drive with ATT and the GNote...simply love it!

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to Sprint customer service representative today, they told me to go to Sprint web site and voice my conerns about the Samsung galaxy note. Rep said if enough p people expressed their interest that might help in them getting the new phone.

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

@sag7392: FYI.

At&t will try to charge you another $36 for a second activation when you port your Sprint number over to them.

Be sure to insist they waive this fee (shouldn't have any problem; I didn't). You've already paid an activation fee when you recieved your temporary number, and according to their computer system it will appear you are activating again.

The rep I dealt with was very helpful, and took care of it right away. If you don't catch this fee when you port the number it will appear on your bill a month later, and it'll be harder to convince At&t to waive it.

Reactions: sag7392

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site

That's one thing I noticed about ATT...the charges. I will make sure I ask them to waive the fee...I managed to get the first activation fee waived as well. Big thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699