Question on data storage

Rhino79

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
When I manually browse the files in My Files, I see that the directory is named /sdcard. But I don't have an SD card in my phone. Does the phone come with one as a "hard drive" so to speak? And if I upgrade its storage with an SD card, will I be replacing one?

Also, under Settings-Storage, it lists "USB Storage" and its values. What does this refer to?

Thanks.

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not totally sure but I think that internal memory is listed as /sdcard and if you have a memory card that is listed as /external_sd. I have no clue about the usb storage.

Why this is... I do not know.

maquimike

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
/sdcard is a default "mount point" that points to an area of "internal" storage that as a user you can manipulate. Think of it as "My Documents". The rest of the internal storage is in different mount points that you can't get to - that helps prevent you from bricking your phone.

/sdcard/external_sd gets created when you insert an SD card into the slot in the phone.

/sdcard/usbStorage is empty unless you attach a USB storage device. When you do that, it gets mounted to the /sdcard/usbStorage "mount point"

These are, of course, my understandings only. Others may have different (more technically accurate) opinions. :)

Last edited:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
/sdcard is a default "mount point" that points to an area of "internal" storage that as a user you can manipulate. Think of it as "My Documents". The rest of the internal storage is in different mount points that you can't get to - that helps prevent you from bricking your phone.

/sdcard/external_sd gets created when you insert an SD card into the slot in the phone.

/sdcard/usbStorage is empty unless you attach a USB storage device. When you do that, it gets mounted to the /sdcard/usbStorage "mount point"

These are, of course, my understandings only. Others may have different (more technically accurate) opinions. :)

Your right on Mike. Its also listed in the Sticky "25 Reasons to buy a Galaxy S2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa