Battery drain with no active apps (phone got hot)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I put my phone in my pocket this morning at about 8am. I made sure to exit all active applications in task manager before doing so. I locked it and didn't touch it again until 10:00am. At 8am it was 100% charged. At 10am it was at 74% and very hot. I went in and checked for active apps and nothing. I put it back into my pocket until noon and now I'm at 46%. I've tried rebooting.

Any ideas?

(got this GSII last week)

edit: i was at work so wifi was off

MrMercedes

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the same thing about a week ago. I fell asleep with my phone next to me unplugged and I woke the next morning with it blazing hot. Battery drained completely! Is your phone rooted? I think mine got hot due to the fact that I had it over clocked and an app was running in the background. Kinda freaked me out! I did a battery pull and it hasn't happened since...

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same thing about a week ago. I fell asleep with my phone next to me unplugged and I woke the next morning with it blazing hot. Battery drained completely! Is your phone rooted? I think mine got hot due to the fact that I had it over clocked and an app was running in the background. Kinda freaked me out! I did a battery pull and it hasn't happened since...

Not rooted.

I'll try pulling the battery.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Pulled the battery and restart and at 20% now!

wtf

edit: battery usage is showing majority is ANDROID OS, then display
I've not done anything but text today and check twitter app.

zmagrini

May 13, 2011
Visit site
imagine this: i deal with this every single day and do not know why. android os is always the number one thing on my list and i have done battery pulls and everything. my phone is always running hot so i have to turn my phone off completely when im not using it and still barely make it through the day. i also have done a battery pull and the percentage drops like this. and forget playing games, the thing gets scorching hot. so frustrating because i cant enjoy the phone one bit. i actually spend my time worrying about if the phone is going to make it through the day. from what ive read there is no fix for this.

hopefully ics addresses this.. otherwise we're out of luck.

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What apps/widgets do you have installed? It could be a rogue app that's preventing the phone from entering deep sleep. I would try removing and re-installing each app until you find out what's causing the problems (if that's indeed the issue).

Que1999

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This exact thing has happened to me multiple times and I've researched it a tremendous amount... My phone isn't rooted, and I've noticed that it seems to happen only in certain places, and gets worse if I am actually using the phone but it doesn't need to be 'used' for the hot drain to occur. I think it only happens when your in a low-reception area, it seems to happen only in a few select locations for me.... And thankfully it doesn't happen at all at my home. It gets burning hot, doesn't stop.. and gets worse and worse unless I remove the battery and turn the phone off. If I'm using data in a low reception area it's like a runaway train... Starts to drain, gets tremendously hot and doesn't stop unless I take some kind of action to stop it. Also, I believe it contributes to a massive data drain for me. I have unlimited data but have been throttled because of massive amounts of data consumption due to this problem. It's driving me insane, I don't know what to do about it... I love this phone so much but this is a glaring problem. 11GB of data last month and already started being throttled this month, and I BARELY use the data on this phone!!

iskor12

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
imagine this: i deal with this every single day and do not know why. android os is always the number one thing on my list and i have done battery pulls and everything. my phone is always running hot so i have to turn my phone off completely when im not using it and still barely make it through the day. i also have done a battery pull and the percentage drops like this. and forget playing games, the thing gets scorching hot. so frustrating because i cant enjoy the phone one bit. i actually spend my time worrying about if the phone is going to make it through the day. from what ive read there is no fix for this.

hopefully ics addresses this.. otherwise we're out of luck.

This is what I would do.

Restart the phone into recovery mode.
Wipe data/factory reset
Restart the phone. You will lose all of your apps, but you can download them again for free.

When you are reinstalling all of your apps, your phone will run hot because it is doing a lot of work. This process will drain your battery, but in the end, I do believe it will fix your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87