Screen Burn-In

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Went to AT&T today to check out some phones, and while looking at the SGS II and Samsung Focus S, I noticed that when I checked out the browser, I could see the home screen clearly burned in. I've never seen it on any other display technology, so that leads me to blame it on the amoled display. It was a huge turn off and will prevent me from going with a Samsung phone unfortunately. Yes, I know these phones are on much longer than any of ours typically would be, but for long term use it is a cause of concern. Just thought I'd make people aware of this that are considering the phones as well!

thinguy

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Noticed the same thing on an S2 at Best Buy. You could see the large Samsung logo and the screen had a grayish/yellow tint to it.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The amount of time the screens are on for demo purposes is probably not how most of us use our phones. Some of those phones are lit up for 10 hours per day, 7 days per week. I'm guessing my screen is on at the most around 30 mins per day on average. Assuming that what the developers say is true in that burn in might start occurring after about 500 hrs of use, I will be into a new phone long before I see any burn-in. I do use a dark background to prolong battery life and it also helps the screen last longer. I could be wrong but, I just don't think it's an issue...

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
My Captivate (purchased in July or Aug of 2010 and put in my dresser drawer Jan 2012) has some slight burn in at the top of the screen from the notification bar.

"Slight", as in hardly noticeable...and I'm one of those smartphone users that has it glued to my face pretty consistently.

My 2?

Also, am I the only one that thinks someone at that Best Buy and/or that at&t store should be ripped a new a-hole for using obviously damaged/degraded phones as display models? The whole idea of a display model is to make people want to buy, not to make them run away scared...idiots.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think burn-in is a problem. I have a 5 year old laptop that, at 3 years started showing some burn-in and that's an lcd, so I don't think any of this technology is built to last for years. Little is these days.

I agree. How mindless to use damaged products as a selling point! Twits! It isn't a garage sale! Good grief, I wouldn't buy it either seeing burn-in. They're giving people the wrong impression.

Blackjack55345

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Samsung Focus. Kept brightness on "high" constantly and within about eight months there was some pretty noticeable screen burn-in. Took it the AT&T store and got it replaced with a brand new one right there. They said it was very unusual for a phone to get burn-in that quickly. Either way, it hasn't stopped me from picking up another Samsung phone. Samsung sure knows how to make nice screens. This is just a small drawback.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED and SAMOLED screens do suffer some burn in. Just search it. But if your screen isn't on for hours straight displaying the same exact image you should not notice any real burn in. My gnex showed a little from the notification bar, a slight blue tint, but with an hour of YouTube or Netflix it would go away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, it's not that big of a deal. Comes with the territory of having beautiful screens. These phones are now basically small plasma tvs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa