Several Root Questions

Drerunsit

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am just recently getting into the rooting business, and I'm really excited to take full advantage of the benefits that come with rooting. First, let me give some quick information about my device and its current status.

AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
Android Version 4.1.2
Baseband Version I747UCDMG2
Rooted using the following method: How to Root AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747! | Galaxy S3 Root
Root Apps installed: Titanium Backup, SuperSU, ROM Manager

I'm just looking for some help to accomplish very simple goals. Basically, I want my phone to operate smoothly and want the best possible battery life. I'm thinking that using a custom ROM (such as CM) might be the best option, but if there is a way to accomplish this with the stock ROM, I'm all for it as well. That being said, I want to be able to easily revert to my current state if necessary. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Finally, and this is important, I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile in the very near future. Should I do that, I plan on taking my device with me, and one of the very attractive features on T-Mobile is Wi-Fi Calling, which is supported on the GS3. With the rooting and whatnot, I'm wondering how I can ensure I have this feature available to me and which configurations will allow me to do so. (AKA, with or without a custom ROM, etc)

Thanks in advance!:cool:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am just recently getting into the rooting business, and I'm really excited to take full advantage of the benefits that come with rooting. First, let me give some quick information about my device and its current status.

AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
Android Version 4.1.2
Rooted using the following method: How to Root AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747! | Galaxy S3 Root

I'm just looking for some help to accomplish very simple goals. Basically, I want my phone to operate smoothly and want the best possible battery life. I'm thinking that using a custom ROM (such as CM) might be the best option, but if there is a way to accomplish this with the stock ROM, I'm all for it as well. That being said, I want to be able to easily revert to my current state if necessary. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Finally, and this is important, I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile in the very near future. Should I do that, I plan on taking my device with me, and one of the very attractive features on T-Mobile is Wi-Fi Calling, which is supported on the GS3. With the rooting and whatnot, I'm wondering how I can ensure I have this feature available to me and which configurations will allow me to do so. (AKA, with or without a custom ROM, etc)

I think if you start out with freezing apps with Titanium, you should see performance improve. Take a couple days to observe the phone, and while you do that, use that observing time to study up on how to flash a ROM. Couple tips on that, flash only carrier ROMs, and device specific. Never flash an international ROM on a U.S. carrier, or vice versa.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
Android Version 4.1.2

Hello! If you freeze some unimportant apps using titanium backup, you will see an improvement. However, to get the best performance possible, a custom rom is probably your best bet. I recommend CyanogenMod, it's really smooth and stable. Now, you were talking about the T Mobile wifi calling feature. This would require a T Mobile phone I believe. I think it's built right into the galaxy s3 phone app for the t Mobile edition, but I'm not sure. Even with root, I don't think you can get it. However, I'm not positive. If you decide to flash a rom I would be happy to help you if you run into any issues. Enjoy the root experience!

Drerunsit

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello! If you freeze some unimportant apps using titanium backup, you will see an improvement. However, to get the best performance possible, a custom rom is probably your best bet. I recommend CyanogenMod, it's really smooth and stable. Now, you were talking about the T Mobile wifi calling feature. This would require a T Mobile phone I believe. I think it's built right into the galaxy s3 phone app for the t Mobile edition, but I'm not sure. Even with root, I don't think you can get it. However, I'm not positive. If you decide to flash a rom I would be happy to help you if you run into any issues. Enjoy the root experience!

Thanks for the input, Jeremy! I think Cyanogenmod is the most appealing ROM I've seen, though I'm not familiar enough with what I imagine is a very large world of ROMs. Do you have any experience using ROM Manager to flash the ROM? I found it after extensive searching and it seems to be the easiest route to go, since it's simplified down to an in-app process. With that, I'd like to refer back to my original concern about restoring back to the original state or, rather, the state it's in now. I know that ROM Manager comes with a backup/restore option, but I don't know if that also restores my apps and all their settings. This is why I also downloaded Titanium Backup, though I'm not sure if I need both. Finally, does flashing your ROM do anything to the file storage system on the internal storage? In other words, if I create backups on internal storage, will those be wiped away with the ROM flash?

Thanks again for all your help.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input, Jeremy! I think Cyanogenmod is the most appealing ROM I've seen, though I'm not familiar enough with what I imagine is a very large world of ROMs. Do you have any experience using ROM Manager to flash the ROM? I found it after extensive searching and it seems to be the easiest route to go, since it's simplified down to an in-app process. With that, I'd like to refer back to my original concern about restoring back to the original state or, rather, the state it's in now. I know that ROM Manager comes with a backup/restore option, but I don't know if that also restores my apps and all their settings. This is why I also downloaded Titanium Backup, though I'm not sure if I need both. Finally, does flashing your ROM do anything to the file storage system on the internal storage? In other words, if I create backups on internal storage, will those be wiped away with the ROM flash?

Thanks again for all your help.

No I don't have much experience with rom manager, I usually use goo manager which works well with the twrp recovery I have. As for restoring back to the original state, I'm guessing you have some sort of custom recovery installed. There should be a backup option in the recovery, and when it's clicked it might have some options on what to back up. Make sure everything is backed up but recovery. You won't need cache either, but I back it up just in case. By doing this, you can restore back to your current state if you want to. When you install a new rom, you lose the apps but all of your files are kept. All of your apps and app data gets backed up when you create the nandroid backup in recovery so if you restore your backup you will have everything you currently have now (including the os) . If you flash a new rom, the data (your files) won't be lost unless you choose to wipe all data within the recovery. I would use rom Manager for your phone, seeing you probably have clockworkmod installed. To flash CyanogenMod, you will need the latest CyanogenMod file for your specific phone (THIS IS IMPORTANT), and the gapps for the version you are going to install (the latest version of CyanogenMod is 4.2.2, so you will need the android 4.2.2 gapps). Install the CyanogenMod file first, and then the gapps. I don't know how rom manager works, but I'm guessing it does that for you. When you flash a new rom, you also won't lose your backup. When you flash a new rom, all of your apps will be lost with data so they will need to be re-downloaded from the play store (this is usually done automatically).

DroidJay3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same Android version (4.1.2) and baseband (UCDMG2). My whole thing is I don't want to trip the flash counter. Everyone says that be checking the F.Reset button in ODIN, this wont happen. Do you know how to prevent the Flash counter from increasing?

Thanks!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same Android version (4.1.2) and baseband (UCDMG2). My whole thing is I don't want to trip the flash counter. Everyone says that be checking the F.Reset button in ODIN, this wont happen. Do you know how to prevent the Flash counter from increasing?

Thanks!

Any time you flash something you flash something other than the stock ROM, the flash counter will go up. It doesn't really matter unless you're planning on sending it back to Samsung or your carrier for repair. Then you'd have to use Triangle Away to reset it

Posted via Android Central App

pdl2mtl90

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you have root, check into Greenify. Great app that works to prolong battery life. Also, SD Maid Pro is a fantastic app to clean up your phone. I purchased both right after rooting and highly recommend them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty