AT&T, Google Voice and the $20 Unlimited Messaging Plan

mastarifla

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the Sprint network and have a few questions with regards to my old number.

Do I really need to pay the $20 per month for the Unlimited Texting?

Can I set my old number as the Google Voice number then use the Google Voice App to send/recieve text messages? That way I can get free texting with the Google Voice number, the only drawback would be no mms.

Thanks in advance :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the Sprint network and have a few questions with regards to my old number.

Do I really need to pay the $20 per month for the Unlimited Texting?

Can I set my old number as the Google Voice number then use the Google Voice App to send/recieve text messages? That way I can get free texting with the Google Voice number, the only drawback would be no mms.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes if you want unlimited texting you will need to pay the $20 extra. That extra $20 also gives you free mobile to mobile phone calls as well!

As far as Google voice you could set that up. It will cost you data to send messages. Not much but it will eat away at your data.

SPrint Vs ATT?

With Sprint I was paying $79.99 for a single line. (450 mins, unlimited text and data..)

WIth ATT I am paying $89.99 for a single line. (450 mins that roll over up to 12 months worth, unlimited test and 3gigs of data.)

But the real trade off is the fact that ATT's network works! Smartphones can get good download speeds. Rather than be held back by Sprint's nationwide dial up network!

Its been a month and I am happy I left Sprint so far. Im just awaiting for the GSIII next week!

Hope this helps you out! Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Cheers...

mastarifla

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
_

Thanks for the input cgardner :)

__

The main reason why I left sprint was because of network issues. For example, since Sprint has been working on the towers (getting ready for LTE) most people on the network were struggling to get more than 100-200kbps. This was really damaging to their image in my opinion and will sway quite a few opinions of people who are typically blindly loyal to a company.

But I wasn't going to give up hope, I decided that maybe the new Evo would be able to sway me to stay on Sprint, but couple a good phone with a bad network and overall enjoyment of the device plummets. I had it for a week before I decided that I didn't want to be with a network that couldn't handle their own customer bases needs.

Combine that with then going into both Verizon and AT&T stores and seeing the data speeds of 3Mbps all the way up to an astounding 52Mbps and it was literally a no brainer on what I should do.

___

I don't really talk on the phone a whole lot, besides for the calls to family and a few friends so I am not really concerned with running out of minutes. In fact I am sure I will gather a whole mess of them over the course of 2 years (If they had data rollover it would be awesome!).

I can't justify the $20 extra per month for texting/mms, especially with services like google voice availiable for me to use on my android phone. The only issue is wether or not it works like I think it does, or if anyone else has had any experience with it.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
_

Thanks for the input cgardner :)

__

The main reason why I left sprint was because of network issues. For example, since Sprint has been working on the towers (getting ready for LTE) most people on the network were struggling to get more than 100-200kbps. This was really damaging to their image in my opinion and will sway quite a few opinions of people who are typically blindly loyal to a company.

But I wasn't going to give up hope, I decided that maybe the new Evo would be able to sway me to stay on Sprint, but couple a good phone with a bad network and overall enjoyment of the device plummets. I had it for a week before I decided that I didn't want to be with a network that couldn't handle their own customer bases needs.

Combine that with then going into both Verizon and AT&T stores and seeing the data speeds of 3Mbps all the way up to an astounding 52Mbps and it was literally a no brainer on what I should do.

___

I don't really talk on the phone a whole lot, besides for the calls to family and a few friends so I am not really concerned with running out of minutes. In fact I am sure I will gather a whole mess of them over the course of 2 years (If they had data rollover it would be awesome!).

I can't justify the $20 extra per month for texting/mms, especially with services like google voice availiable for me to use on my android phone. The only issue is wether or not it works like I think it does, or if anyone else has had any experience with it.

Hey no problem!

If GV will do what you would like then I say don't pay the extra $20 a month! I was only giving you an idea what the cost is before taxes and other charges. You will enjoy your ATT service providing its good in your area!

Cheers...

Last edited:
Reactions: mastarifla

Firefyter

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice will do texts using data. I put my Sprint GN in airplane mode when I was in Mexico and used GV to text over wifi. It worked flawlessly without having to pay international text rates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo