DVD Catalyst - A Must Have for movies

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
For anyone not familiar with it, DVD Catalyst is a rockin' conversion program. You can use it to rip DVD's, or convert BluRay's after ripping. They always stay on top of new phones and tablets being released, and update the program with really good-looking and easy to use presets. Plus, they don't take up huge space. (About 1.5 gb on my settings)

I have got a few movies on my G3, and they look amazing. Especially How to Train Your Dragon and X-men: First Class. In the middle of putting Iron Man on right now :)

Love the screen on my G3. Can't say enough good things about it!

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's a great program! I've been using it for years. Made all my movies for my BlackBerry, now of course remade all of my movies for android.

-needed to for sound and screen size/resolution...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: dvdcatalyst

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Has it been updated to include the gs3 already or are you using a profile for a different phone?

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes- I updated mine and now I see the GS3 setting Does the "fast" GS3 setting mean it converts faster but will be at a lower quality?

Reactions: dvdcatalyst

pdl2mtl90

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Very worth it. Been using it for years with my various Blackberries and most recently for my kids' Kindle Fires. Just updated today to version 4.2 in anticipation of my new S3.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just found the cd I had for Dvd Catalyst. It's from 2005, lol. I guess I'll get the update

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For anyone not familiar with it, DVD Catalyst is a rockin' conversion program. You can use it to rip DVD's, or convert BluRay's after ripping. They always stay on top of new phones and tablets being released, and update the program with really good-looking and easy to use presets. Plus, they don't take up huge space. (About 1.5 gb on my settings)

I have got a few movies on my G3, and they look amazing. Especially How to Train Your Dragon and X-men: First Class. In the middle of putting Iron Man on right now :)

Love the screen on my G3. Can't say enough good things about it!

Thank you shepx2 :)

I'm glad you enjoy using it.

I just found the cd I had for Dvd Catalyst. It's from 2005, lol. I guess I'll get the update

2005, that brings back memories :)

That was around the time of the PocketPC, and around the time I just changed the name of the application due to being flooded with support questions from similar-named apps.

If you move from v1 (2005) to v4, you are in for a treat.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you shepx2 :)

I'm glad you enjoy using it.

2005, that brings back memories :)

That was around the time of the PocketPC, and around the time I just changed the name of the application due to being flooded with support questions from similar-named apps.

If you move from v1 (2005) to v4, you are in for a treat.

Would I have to purchase it?

amheck

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I was doing a little reading and this seems to be a pretty nice program. I'm thinking about buying the full version.

I did have a question, though. While I have an S3, I also plan on getting the Nexus 7 and possibly even a (gasp) Ipad. Also, I think it'd be nice to have a reduced file-size copy of the movie to put on my laptop when traveling.

Is there a profile that will put the movie in a good resolution and setting that'd work on various devices like that? So I just have to run it thru DVD Catalyst once?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
720p (1280 x 720) is a pretty standard resolution. It's the exact resolution used by the S3 and pretty close to that of the Nexus 7 (1280 x 800). You'd just have some very small black bars on the sides.

The iPad on the other hand is a larger screen and resolution but 720p should still look pretty good on it.

So yeah, go with 720p encoding and you should be good!

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I was doing a little reading and this seems to be a pretty nice program. I'm thinking about buying the full version.

I did have a question, though. While I have an S3, I also plan on getting the Nexus 7 and possibly even a (gasp) Ipad. Also, I think it'd be nice to have a reduced file-size copy of the movie to put on my laptop when traveling.

Is there a profile that will put the movie in a good resolution and setting that'd work on various devices like that? So I just have to run it thru DVD Catalyst once?

Great app. I highly recommend it

amheck

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys know what might be the best 720p settings to use in the VIdeo PLayer Device drop down menus?

I did select 720p in the first box, but then it wants me to chose a device in the 2nd box. Does the 2nd box matter? Am I on the right track?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys know what might be the best 720p settings to use in the VIdeo PLayer Device drop down menus?

I did select 720p in the first box, but then it wants me to chose a device in the 2nd box. Does the 2nd box matter? Am I on the right track?

Choose Android in the first box and Galaxy S3 in the second box. Try it out and see what you think. There are Galaxy S3 HQ options as well, which increase the bit rate. If you click on power user in the bottom right you can see exactly what settings each option has - but all Galaxy S3 templates use 1280 x 720 resolution.

The main things you can play around with here, if you choose (but it's ok to use the templates and leave these) are:

Video quality (bitrate): This is how much data/space is used to represent the movie. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality and file size. There are definitely diminishing returns here. I think the 1000 bitrate that you get by default with the Galaxy S3 template is kind of low but will work for animations and videos with little action. If I'm converting an action movie I will bump this up to 2000. If space weren't an issue you could go a lot higher. Many of the 720p and 1080p videos I have use bitrates from 5000-10000 to get maximum quality.

Video mode: The options here are 1 pass or 2 pass. All you need to know is that if you choose 2 pass it will slightly increase the quality (without increasing file size) but the conversion will take up to twice as long.

Sound quality: This is the bitrate of the audio. Back in the day when mp3 first got popular, people were quite happy with 128 audio. Now the preference is often 320 for listening to music. Honestly it's up to you but 128 will work - I will probably use 192 as a compromise. The higher number/quality you choose, the bigger the file size. Since the audio portion of a video is a lot smaller in size than the video itself, increasing/decreasing audio quality has a much smaller effect on your final file size than changing the video bitrate.

Hope this helps - trying to keep it very basic! The main goal here is usually to achieve the highest quality without using too much space on your device. 720p is a nice quality resolution for a phone but because the screen is so small (compared to TVs) the imperfections are much less noticeable. That's why I want 5000+ bitrate for watching on a TV and yet 1000-2000 will work fine on the phone, even at the same resolution.

Trial and error is good here - use a template and see what you get quality wise - then tweak the settings and see what the new result is...all while paying attention to the file size.

If you want to learn more here's a guide from the app developer with S III specific info:
http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s3-avi-dvd-m2ts-mkv-and-bluray/

For a more in depth guide about DVD catalyst see here:
http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/08/dvd-catalyst-4-1-user-guide-index/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty