Hardware ID is Missing error

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I haven't hooked my GS3 into the computer for awhile, but I did today after installing the latest OTA update and Kies update/drivers, and now when I plug my phone into the computer it won't mount the drives. Windows just gives me the error "Hardware ID is missing" error and that's it.

I'm not sure what is causing that. The OTA, the Kies update...etc...

I've already uninstalled / reinstalled Kies and the Samsung drivers, but I'm at a loss.

Anyone have a clue?

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe its a problem with the device...I had that issue with a Galaxy Nexus, and again with my S3. The problem goes away when I reboot my computer. So I believe its more a problem with that awesome, totally bug and problem-free (extreme sarcasm) OS known as Microsoft Windows!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

timmus

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
This has started since last week's Kies and 4.0.4 updates on S3. Let's hope it's the brilliant Kies because if it's the firmware, how can it ever get updated again if Kies won't connect to do the business? BTW, have tried to set up wireless Kies but that seems to be a non-starter here.

I use USB sync (has to be used with USB debugging) for another program (VCOrganiser), and it still works perfectly well and recognises the device. Wireless sync of a passwords app also still works.

I hope someone at Samsung reads these blogs and takes fast action - but somehow, I'm not counting on it.

However, the Samsung USB modem driver now won't update/install using the 'resolve connection issues' utility- it fails: Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device installs OK but CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM) fails.

sciman111

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This is ridiculous! I have been messing with this for 3 days. Almost makes me want to return the phone. How hard can it be for Samsung to make their flagship device play nice with windows. I can understand it not working well with windows but the fact that I can't get it to connect on my win7 box is horse !!! I have been back and for through the solutions posted on other forums and nothing seems to work.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The old drivers still work. If you are having issues with the usb drivers loading you can use the old drivers to fix.Just remember to refuse the update. You will have to install the update drivers prior to installing the old ones.

As for the device id error a reboot does fix it. But as soon as unplug your device and reconnect it happens again. So you pretty much have to restart your computer every time you disconnect your phone. Yes, it's a real pita.

streetdegree

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
This has been killing me for weeks. The only thing that works is;
-Right click on my computer.
-advanced system settings
-from the hardware tab click "device installation settings"
-select "no,... Never install driver software from windows update.

From there uninstall kies/drivers and re-install.

Note: im not sure if it was related or not but I also turned off nvidias auto update as well.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I haven't hooked my GS3 into the computer for awhile, but I did today after installing the latest OTA update and Kies update/drivers, and now when I plug my phone into the computer it won't mount the drives. Windows just gives me the error "Hardware ID is missing" error and that's it.

I'm not sure what is causing that. The OTA, the Kies update...etc...

I've already uninstalled / reinstalled Kies and the Samsung drivers, but I'm at a loss.

Anyone have a clue?

I had this error after Win 7 updated drivers using it's own version. Once I "skipped downloading this driver" on the window that appeared when pluggin in the device, it never appeared again and mounts perfectly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

This has been killing me for weeks. The only thing that works is;
-Right click on my computer.
-advanced system settings
-from the hardware tab click "device installation settings"
-select "no,... Never install driver software from windows update.

From there uninstall kies/drivers and re-install.

Note: im not sure if it was related or not but I also turned off nvidias auto update as well.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Wish I read this one before I posted mine, your post is totally correct. Thank you.

beartraprr

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and it started about a month ago. One thing I have found it seems to do this when just plugging the phone in, in otherwords if you unlock your phone then plug it in it seems most of the time to be ok, that said it still does it on occasion. Trying it several times and then it works...Their connection troubleshooter is crap, don't even try that.

This is about the only thing I miss from my old Blackberry, their Desktop software, I really liked it.

John

dsvendse

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Error "HARDWARE ID MISSING" when plugging phone into computer.

Simple Fix for Windows 7, 64-bit OS:

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall all previous Samsung USB Drivers.
2. Download Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0. from

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...nt_L710_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

3. Reboot computer.
4. Disconnect computer from the Internet. *This is very important!*
5. With the phone disconnected, install Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.
6. Connect the phone to the computer and let Windows install the drivers.
7. Reestablish the Internet connection.

This worked flawlessly for me on the first try.

***The KEY here is to disconnect from the Internet where indicated, thus forcing Windows to install the older, Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.

***Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT the computer from the Internet before plugging in the phone for the first time, or you will have to repeat these steps!

Have a Nice Day!

dsvendse

skweezzy

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Error "HARDWARE ID MISSING" when plugging phone into computer.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...nt_L710_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

3. Reboot computer.

***The KEY here is to disconnect from the Internet where indicated, thus forcing Windows to install the older, Samsung USB Driver v1.4.6.0.

***Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT the computer from the Internet before plugging in the phone for the first time, or you will have to repeat these steps!

Have a Nice Day!

dsvendse

This worked like a charm for me! THANKS so much!!

dap88

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I just want to point out that its a problem with the phones software not Microsoft. Companies like Samsung make products that work on Windows, not the other way around. Windows made an OS, that works great.. and its the job of the other companies to make their products or software work on the OS. :D

jimkata2000

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Update 3:10 est - Darn, was hoping, must have just been the reboot as a few others commented on. Once I removed my device, problem reappeared.

Update 12/27 2:30p est - Checked system restore and found an update from Samsung. I restored to before that point and rebooted. Everything is fine. Windows Update asked for me to install the driver again and this time I said no. The driver is

"SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. - Other hardware - SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device

Download size: 4.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Other hardware software update released in May, 2012

More information:
Driver Information

Help and Support:
Product Solution Centers

So just like some developers, updates for newer products break prior ones. Thought Note 2 is pretty new. Go figure.
Jim

This just started happening with my Galaxy Note 2. This is first time I tried to sync AFTER Kies updated itself. It never occurred to me to reject the update. Anyway, I'm going to try a couple different things and some of the ones suggested here. If I find something different than already posted, I'll return and update.

Last edited:

thisusernottaken

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

3. Reboot computer.

ADDITIONAL STEPS

Edit: Rewriting! Frustrating. Thanks Samsung. :'( I've re-written the whole thing because when following my own instructions with a Galaxy S2 on a different computer, it still took another hour to iron out connection problems. Ridiculous. The procedure below is good and battle-tested, tedious, somewhat meticulous, and enduring. Others may call it painful. It's not complicated though, so just have LOTS of patience. Sorry, there's no other way, Google isn't going to save you this time. I looked. And spent another hour writing this post so I'd remember what the heck to do in a month when Jellybean is ready for the S2. You're welcome, future me.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
It is exceptionally critical that you have your computer's internet connection disabled to properly install the drivers. I'm using v1.5.14.0 (current, not downloadable yet, is v1.5.16.0), available from Samsung's site (google will get you there).

A. 1. Keep your phone unplugged from USB
A. 2. Download Kies (regardless if you have it already)
A. 3. Download the available Samsung phone drivers, regardless if they are the newest.

B. 1. Disable your computer network connection. IMPORTANT you're disconnected until further notice.
B. 2. Android: Settings > Security > Device Administrators. Uncheck and Deactivate "Samsung Kies" to delete the device admin
B. 3. Android: Settings > Developer options > ENABLE USB Debugging

C. 1. Uninstall Samsung phone drivers (windows control panel > programs)
C. 2. Uninstall Kies
C. 3. Reboot

D. 1. Reinstall Kies
D. 2. Uninstall the Samsung phone drivers again.
D. 3. Reboot if required. Install Samsung drivers you downloaded that will likely be an earlier version.

E. 1. Connect your phone.
E. 2. Verify that windows has detected your device without problems. If you are still having problems, twiddling and massaging the process will be required. Go back 2 spaces. Start again at step C.1.
E. 3. Run Kies. You should not close Kies for the remainder of this procedure, unless you need Kies to re-initialize its detection process. Twiddling.
E. 4. Go back to device administrators and if you see Samsung Kies, touch it again and note if the button says Activate or Deactivate. If Activate, touch to activate.

F. 1. Your phone device should be seen in the top left status pane. Generally, if Kies hasn't shown you your device contents/stats and update info in 5-10 seconds, something failed. Twiddling.
F. 2. Unplug your phone again if not successful and do E.1. again.
F. 3. Delete the device admin again and do F.1. again. Step backwards through this procedure if the process isn't working. Massage.

G. 1. NOW enable your network connection.
G. 2. Exit Kies (re-initialize). Run Kies. Do F.2. again if necessary.
G. 3. Do NOT update Kies. Skip it. Cancel. The whole process breaks and you will have to start over from scratch.
G. 4. Let stars align, and behold:

Your phone will be discovered properly by Windows. Kies will detect your phone properly. It will begin downloading Android updates properly. Everything will install properly.

For future updates, I expect to have to restart all steps. This is a mainstream device, how can any regular user function like this?

Samsung - SHAME ON YOU. This was 5 hours of my day yesterday, on top of the many many hours spent over past months and giving up. No end user should be subjected to this kind of abuse. Kies = Shameware. Let me let you in on a hint. My Asus Transformer Infinity tablet does not need additional software to update itself. I go to About Device > Software Update, and guess what? Firmware AND Android updates are available. This is a proper update. Truthfully, that Software Update should be a top-level menu item, not buried in About Device. Google, vendors, are you listening to any of this? AndroidCentral users, and window shoppers, tweet and communicate this post. The Overlords should be made aware.

Thanks to dsvendse for the original guidance as quoted above. Android 4.1.1 is super-slick on my Galaxy S3 (ATT). Even faster with TV commercial quality speed and response. A handful at least of tier-1 new features, and plenty of secondary. I'm happy to say it was in fact worth the effort to accomplish the upgrade.

Last edited:

ITbassman

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to dsvendse and thisusernottaken for excellent trouble resolution steps. I too have had the same "hardware ID not found" error on my Galaxy S3 (using Vista Home Premium). Although I got some relief from the uninstall/reinstall steps listed, I couldn't get a complete and lasting fix - UNTIL, I uninstalled all Kies apps and the Samsung USB Mobile drivers (again - 3rd time) - and THEN installed Kies version 2.3.2.12064_10_1.exe (I saved this version last summer in late July 2012). This older Kies version also installs an older Samsung USB driver set - (Samsung Mobile USB driver set, version 2.9.319.511, dated 5/11/2012). When I rebooted and then connected my Samsung Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535) phone - no problems. Windows recognizes the phone (with or without Kies running) everytime, no errors. The last issue was that Verizon/Samsung ran an auto update of my phone software this last week. This older version of Kies is now incompatible with the latest phone OS upgrades. NO PROBLEM. Kies prompted me that it didn't support this phone when I connected it. It prompted me to run the Kies update (which I did), but I did NOT have it do any Samsung USB DRIVER upgrades. I'm now at Kies ver 2.5.0.12114_1 and all is working fine. The phone is still recognized by Windows with no errors, and Kies is syncing my Outlook 2007 Contacts and Calendar without issues. The Kies upgrade did not automatically update the USB drivers, and I did the Kies upgrade from WITHIN Kies - no uninstall first, etc. The upgrade process prompts that the older version must be uninstalled, but it does it for you during the upgrade process. I believe it IS critical that ALL old Kies and Samsung drivers MUST be fully uninstalled and PC rebooted prior to installing the old version of Kies (and then doing the Kies upgrade process). I hope this helps everyone. I will be testing this process on a Win7 Pro sp1 PC with Outlook 2010 in a few days. Hopefully, I'll get the same results with it. (btw - I was also able to use the Kies via Wi-Fi process to connect to my phone even without any Samsung USB drivers on my PC. However, the Outlook sync did NOT pickup all my contacts and calendar info after several attempts. Unreliable sync process when using Kies via WiFi!
I can't believe the MESS and horrid programming that Samsung has given all of us with their Kies and USB drivers! Unbelieveably BAD!

PGorbas

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dsvendse for the very informative and useful post.

I also agree - What was Samsung thinking to release new Drivers and Kies without complete testing!
Makes me doubt the use of ANY Samsung app if this is their attention to quality and details.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo