Wait for jellybean or root?

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
So I'm back to android from a long bid at iOS lol.
I never rooted my android devices before but this time I'm def gonna start rooting and flashing ROM's. I know we are gonna get jellybean soon so idk what the deal is with rooting and OTA's ... Can u still receive them and get the update? I figure u would lose root but I could just root it again. Any feedback is appreciated

Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Once your rooted and running custom ROMs you can't receive OTA/official updates. Although on the other hand normally any of the big name ROM developers will have their ROMs incorporating any new official updates into their builds within a few hours or days at the most.

So you need to ask yourself are you willing to wait for the OTA and enjoy a stock unrooted experience or take the plunge and enjoy some custom ROM love from the development community and start running JB now?

Don't forget you can always return to stock/unrooted if you choose to go back to running stock once the official upgrade becomes available.

JeRrYFaR

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would actually like to find out more about that because I used to have an Atrix and it was rooted running CM7 mostly, but I dabbled w/ 9 as well. ICS never worked properly as the camera would always freeze and all kinds of fun stuff. It was practically impossible to get back to the stock rom, so is it easier on the S3? Plus I've heard there's a counter on the S3. Should I be concerned about that?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would actually like to find out more about that because I used to have an Atrix and it was rooted running CM7 mostly, but I dabbled w/ 9 as well. ICS never worked properly as the camera would always freeze and all kinds of fun stuff. It was practically impossible to get back to the stock rom, so is it easier on the S3? Plus I've heard there's a counter on the S3. Should I be concerned about that?
From my understanding the devs have come up with some very simple options to return to stock. Also in the case of worrying about the flash counter there is also a workaround to reset this.

I don't have this device in particular but I have followed the SGS 3 fairly well. Please do a little researching but you will find what I am telling you is correct concerning the ease of returning to stock and also resetting the flash counter.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I will wait. I am not in a huge hurry. I am new to Android and am enjoying my Ice Cream Sandwich. I do like what Jelly Bean has to offer and when AT&T finally rolls it out later this month or next, I will definitely update. One sweet thing at a time. Sugar overload. What's next Key Lime Pie? Wow. Three dessert courses.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably gonna wait. The main reason I want to root is to move spotify to an external sd card, and by the time I have that jelly bean will be out anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya your right. Think I'm gonna wait as well. I'm using nova launcher prime right now and it's awesome gives it a jellybean look

Tapatalk

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was rooted....It's pretty easy. (droid noobie here) My GSIII is unrooted currently (long story) and I think I'll wait for Jelly Bean to root again.
I mainly just want to delete bloatware, move what app data I can to the external sd card, etc....
I'm not going to get to flash freaky....I used to load a different OS on my BB's every other day.
Don't think I'm gonna do that anymore.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding the devs have come up with some very simple options to return to stock. Also in the case of worrying about the flash counter there is also a workaround to reset this.

I don't have this device in particular but I have followed the SGS 3 fairly well. Please do a little researching but you will find what I am telling you is correct concerning the ease of returning to stock and also resetting the flash counter.
It is all correct. There are a few tools that don't trip the flash counter plus workarounds for the ones that don't. Listen to Paul, macleod644. :cool:

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I was running JB on my GS2 and rooted my GS3 on day one. The GS3 root was much simpler than the GS2 and I rooted without tripping the flash counter. Therefore if I need to return to manufacturer I can return to stock and be A-OK. I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.

I don't see any reason to wait bec it was so easy unless you're really fine with how things are now. I prefer JB over ICS bec it does run more smoothly.Also the custom ROMs will have extra features that stock JB won't have. That's primarily why I have them. And when I say easy I mean it took less than 15 min excluding download time of the 500mb package. If you've never rooted before this is so easy you won't need to be scared of bricking (Just leave the Bootloaders option alone in ODIN). If anyone has questions about rooting I'd be happy to help.

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel] - xda-developers

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I was running JB on my GS2 and rooted my GS3 on day one. The GS3 root was much simpler than the GS2 and I rooted without tripping the flash counter. Therefore if I need to return to manufacturer I can return to stock and be A-OK. I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.

I don't see any reason to wait bec it was so easy unless you're really fine with how things are now. I prefer JB over ICS bec it does run more smoothly.Also the custom ROMs will have extra features that stock JB won't have. That's primarily why I have them. And when I say easy I mean it took less than 15 min excluding download time of the 500mb package. If you've never rooted before this is so easy you won't need to be scared of bricking (Just leave the Bootloaders option alone in ODIN). If anyone has questions about rooting I'd be happy to help.

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel] - xda-developers

Thanks for the reply, I really want to root I might just do it. In pretty good with computers/smartphones but I always feel like I still haven't fully understood that root method. I've read it a million times recently lol. From my understanding- I download ODIN and then just download the .tar file along with another one (right?) and then I put phone into download mode and run ODIN , then click PDA and choose the .tar file? I gotta watch a video and read that at the same time because I always seem to kind of understand it but then somewhere I get confused

Tapatalk

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok I get the root part. Easy. What I don't get is the CWM part- what is ADB?

I didn't fool with adb stuff last time I rooted. I used Odin to root with the stock root file, then downloaded ROM Manager from the Play Store and used that to flash CWM. After that, I used CM10 Downloader from the play store to download the latest CM10 nightly, then reboot into Recovery and flash the CM10 ROM. Easy peasy.

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Adb is a great tool you get with the sdk thatvallows you to push access the phone through debugging mode... the s3 is so easy to root and get up and running but honestly with what the phone does out of the box I just returned it to stock and after 3 roots and unroots im very content with what is offered by touchwiz, and cyanogenmod and paranoid android, etc. Really feel like a downgrade even if it is Jellybean, the phone out of the box is just that good for me....

Just my 2cents :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as Rancid. I was rooted, it was fun. But over all I didn't do much with it other than play with a couple JB ROMs which for the most part, are pretty broken for someone who lives off the phone daily. I really loved Wanam's ROM as it was basically stock with a couple tweaks. But I was not doing anything that really required the root. So back to unroot stock and I am fine with the latest OTA push. 18+ hours of battery a day.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I think that I am going to wait for the update. Hopefully it will be out sometime this month.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, Rancid is right about some things. It seems like the roms don't have or enable some of the same basic functions that come with the phone. I'm probably going to flash a few different roms and also flash back to a stock rom to see what I'm missing. Since I rooted day 1 I didn't play around with my phone as stock. JB is much smoother and faster but it's also still in its infancy stages I would say. I would say yes root but also try different roms or stock roms to see which best works for you.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I get the root part. Easy. What I don't get is the CWM part- what is ADB?

Tapatalk

Also, use the third alternative method listed by downloading android terminal emulator. Then just type the text in the emulator exactly as shown on the forum. It was my first time doing root this way and it was straight forward. No issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo