There IS a difference between an lte sim and a 3G sim!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of you posting incorrect information and wanted to clear the air. A 3G sim will not work in an lte phone. There is most definitely a difference. But an lte sim will work in a 3G phone. That's why some of you are able to swap between certain devices and others cannot. I run into this issue with customers getting loaner phones almost everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of you posting incorrect information and wanted to clear the air. A 3G sim will not work in an lte phone. There is most definitely a difference. But an lte sim will work in a 3G phone. That's why some of you are able to swap between certain devices and others cannot. I run into this issue with customers getting loaner phones almost everyday.

Thanks for the info

U work with AT&T?

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to say, but there is absolutely no difference between 3G sim card and LTE sim card. In my Samsung Galaxy S3, I'm using my old iPhone 4 sim card and it still works fine. All you have to do is switch the data plan from iPhone to LTE. It's the data plan that matters, not the sim card. I went into AT&T and ask about if I needed a new "LTE" sim card and they told me that only the data plan needs to be changed in order to have functioning data for your new LTE phone.

So this explains why I can put my Samsung Galaxy S3 SIM card into my iPhone 4s without having to call AT&T.

Thanks for clarifying...

Data plan is incompatible.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to say, but there is absolutely no difference between 3G sim card and LTE sim card. In my Samsung Galaxy S3, I'm using my old iPhone 4 sim card and it still works fine. All you have to do is switch the data plan from iPhone to LTE. It's the data plan that matters, not the sim card. I went into AT&T and ask about if I needed a new "LTE" sim card and they told me that only the data plan needs to be changed in order to have functioning data for your new LTE phone.

Data plan is incompatible.

There IS a difference lol but you can believe what you choose.

dhughes

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
From my understanding you need the newest sim card that does not have the 3G logo on it to get LTE. The new ones just have the at&t logo on them. It also needs to be on your plan as lte whatever as well. The newer ones will work for all phones 3G 4G hspda and 4G LTE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
All I know is I have an old SIM from when the iPhone 4 was released and on my account I have the LTE data package.

Without calling AT&T I can place my SIM from my Samsung Galaxy S3 into my iPhone 4s and the data works, period. I do this a few times a week, thus no call to AT&T is needed.

Now if I could do the same with BlackBerry 10 upon release, I'd be happy...

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just because your 4S wasn't LTE doesn't mean the SIM wasn't... All new AT&T SIMs were LTE compatible before the network launched.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

Antrevia Purvis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Galaxy not I717 and at first it was working and then all of a sudden i received a No Sim Error message. I change out the sim port and tried again and still not working.its not the sim because i am using it now in my daughte iphone 3 but it state 3g. If i get a 4G LTE sim card do you think it will work?

graewulf1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
This is confusing. Of course a 3g SIM won't work In a 4g phone. They are different sizes physically and the 3g won't fit in the 4g device.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Praise Yah

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello would you know if a 3g sim card from my motorola droid 2 will work with Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515, or Samsung Galaxy Note 3?
Thanks for your help!

bsnrich

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy s 4 LTE and the home botton broke. I purchased a simcard adapter and inserted it in my old 3G galaxy s 2. even though the reception bar shows good reception, when I try to make a call, I get a "not registered in the network"message. Is there a solution for this situation??????

Simon Bromilow

May 5, 2017
Visit site
There IS a difference lol but you can believe what you choose.

Correct as an LTE sim is a 4G sim that is backwards compatible with 3G. If like in the previous post about data plan was the only issue thats because you had an LTE sim with a 3G plan to begin with. A 3G sim has to be replaced for a 4G (LTE) plan

Paul McCartney2

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, my question is more of a technical: so there is an LTE sim and there is an older generation 4g sim, which does not get an LTE internet on the ATT network. Is there any way to do something with this 4g sim to make it work with LTE signal? I would think that sim only allows the phone to register on the network and the rest is up to the phone, obviously that is not the case. ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress