switching from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S3 today (on ATT)

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not really seeing an issue here. The SIII pictures you have provided look to be of excellent quality for a smartphone. Especially if you have an SLR(I'm guessing though it's not digital since you didn't specify DSLR?) The Camera on the iPhone 5 is best in class, but that's where it ends really. iOS is about as stale as it gets really. No customization, and the static grid of icons hasn't changed since iOS 1! As someone with 2 Macs, Apple TV, 4 of the 6 iPhone models(got an S3)instead of iPhone 5, 3 of the 4 iPad models(Didn't upgrade to the very latest 4th gen iPad), I can honestly say that there is nothing that iOS can do that I can't do just as easily on my S3. Even the concern that I would be breaking the iCloud connectivity between my Macs, iPhone, and iPad isn't really there. With my iPhone, the only real bonus to iCloud was the fact that apps, and music would sync to all of my devices. Having pictures sync isn't a big deal to me because there's always e-mail, picasa, and/or dropbox. For me I like having new features added to my phone each time I upgrade. And getting a half an inch over the iPhone 4S, and a slightly faster processor in the A6 over the A5 doesn't constitute as a groundbreaking update to me. Especially in their redesign when Jony Ive said "We've re imagined the phone from the ground up." When really they've just stretched out the 4S a little. Sorry for the long rant, but hopefully you make the right decision, and chose the phone that is better suited for you.

Totally agree with you - except on the camera. I have a DSLR, which I have not used in a while (it is a Cannon something; don't even know which one it is, LOL). The big advantage of a smart phone camera is that I ALWAYS have it with me.

My first smartphone (after PDAs starting with PILOT, then PALM and GARMIN) was the iPhone 3GS, which I loved. After jailbreaking I loved it even more. When it broke (iPhones seem to be very susceptible to water damage - that actually killed 2 of my iPhones), I went to the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 is just as you write: a little bit longer, but nothing new or exciting. And unless someone finds an exploit for a jailbreak, it won't be customizable. These exploits are closed by Apple with each new release. I am afraid that this time there will be quite a few new releases - the navigation app is terrible and will need lots of updates.

I think Apple has lost its way. The week with the Galaxy S3 was eyeopening. I am eagerly waiting for the S4 ...

(I guess I should mention that I don't have or had any MACs; currently I am using a SAMSUNG Series 9 laptop, which I love)

Last edited:

nagyg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Are the first pics in each series the S3's? If so I don't see a problem, the second series are very washed out. Yes Googles GPS navigation kicks some serious ass. Is the app not available on the iPhone?

The first pic of each series was taken with the iPhone 4, the second with the S3.

Navigation on the iPhone 5 has been Apple's biggest plunder so far. And no, Google Navigation on the iPhone is not available ...

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Something was definitely wrong then because my pics with both were on par with each other. Wish I still had them to post on here. My wife and I took the pictures when I got the s3 and she had the 4 and 4s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
my buddy has an iphone 5 and hates it... the build quality is terrible! it has scrathes and scuffs all over it, and he is not rough with it at all. that matte black aluminum is super sensitive! ios6 is aslo rediculous. his voicemails all show up as the same number when they arent... maps are worthless, apps crashing, and a long list of other issues lots of people are experiencing. not to say that any brand new phone doesnt have bugs, but it is certainly over rated. i will take this gs3 over any iphone any day

in addition, we took some sample photos with both of our phones, and the clear winner was the gs3...even he admitted this. so for those of you saying that iphone is better, there are a lot of factors that determine which pic is better. and clearly it would vary from phone to phone depending on them. one isnt always better than the other is my point.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
It's funny because numerous test show the iPhone camera is better. Only on a GS3 forum will you find ppl that say the S3 camera is better. It's not even close. I had (3) S3's and none recorded video like my 5. Nor took pictures. The the GS3 might be better in other areas but not the camera.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know the answer to this too. I also have airport expresses around my house and use it for whole home audio without wires. I was ok without my iPhone until my Mac mini died. Now I gave no way to get music to my speaker system :-(

As for why there is no iPhone S3 forum its because people get too emotional about each device. Neither side can admit to flaws or better features in the competing device lol

But there isn't anything for Droid users to admit :) JUST KIDDING! No, I'm not..yes I'm kidding, well maybe not completely. :p

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Never said it was better just on par. Clearly something was wrong because my outdoor pics have never been washed out that badly.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because numerous test show the iPhone camera is better. Only on a GS3 forum will you find ppl that say the S3 camera is better. It's not even close. I had (3) S3's and none recorded video like my 5. Nor took pictures. The the GS3 might be better in other areas but not the camera.

My sgs2 cam was better than the ip5. Proved it multiple times.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, my iPhone also took better pictures than my current S3. I'm not switching back because when I care about a picture I take my camera. However it was nice being able to get great pictures from my iPhone. Just this morning I took a picture out my window with my S3 to show a colleague at work. I was once again reminded of how much better pictures my iPhone took. I'm not sure if its the camera, lens, software, or what, but the iPhone pictures just looked better.

Something was definitely wrong then because my pics with both were on par with each other. Wish I still had them to post on here. My wife and I took the pictures when I got the s3 and she had the 4 and 4s.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just figure I use my phone as a phone and mini computer more than I use it as a camera and it is a phone so I buy it for it's phone and mini computer features. If I want a good camera, I buy a camera.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Now u talking a different boat lol the one x cam kills my Gnex the ip5 and both the s2 and s3 imo

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
It's probably just my device but my S3 lags frequently whenever I'm typing, I've factory resetted my phone after updating to JB but the phone still lags, oddly, after I clear the RAM, it lags when I press the home button. I think I've got a faulty device because the return button is not quite responsive either. And I have noticed that the camera is not as great as I would have imagined. Aside from these technical issues, the only thing that makes me really miss the iPhone are a handful of apps that I use regularly that either Google Play does not have or the same app in the Play store is rather buggy and prone to issues. But the S3 is a great looking phone, a bit too big for my preference. The lagging issue really puts me off though.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No lag here except for the occasional texting lag but even my iPhone 4 and 4s had text lag from time to time.

What apps are you missing?

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
After having this phone for 5 months I am very happy. I don't have any lag at all and have installed Apex launcher which is superb. The speed is absolutely amazing after you set it up correctly.

The only thing that bothered me was the stock email app and the way it is, so I installed Auqumail and have been very happy with it.

I actually love the camera on the Gs3 and I am amazed at the pictures it takes. I have the the Evo Lte, 4, and girlfriend has 4s. My Gs3 takes better pics out of them all. I think I got a really great copy of the Gs3. Plus I'm a photographer.

I think the biggest problem for phones is animation. I have my animations turned off in developer options and turned off in Apex. With those turned off, your phone should fly.

Also, live wallpapers will fill up your ram and make your phone slower.

kingjavs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Camerawise iphone 5 > GS3. The quality on the ip5 is not comparable to the GS3, ip is way superior.

Anything else GS3 is better, being an iphone user for 3 years, I switch to my sammy s3 a couple of months ago, and I will not go back to iphones(unless they change the IOS completely that is, and we all know its not gonna happen anytime soon).

On a side note my brother has an ip 5 he bought on release day and he is planning on selling it because of how awesome my GS3 is. He also owned an iphone 4, and 3GS.

TBH. I am one of those people who uses their phone for everything I can, and with the GS3 I have found infinite things that I can tweak/modify and it is awesome! :)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 has a slightly upgraded version of the SAME camera in in the iPhone 4S. It's basically the exact same hardware. The differences you see in quality between the two phones are a result of software. I have found that the GS3 takes stellar photos in daylight. I had serious quality issues in low-light situations, but that seems to have drastically improved with the new camera in the 4.1.1 update.

The camera in the iPhone 5 is the next step up from the one found in the iPhone 4/SGS 3, and as such, will naturally take better pictures than they will. But again, it's heavily dependent on software. Hopefully Samsung will figure this out and start really paying attention to the camera apps they develop.

Of course, there are other cameras in the Play Store that may yield better results than the stock camera.

bcx_c

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Just finished the activation and setup of my S3. Switched from iPhone 4s. Not going to even look back!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty