Kies wont update!! Cant update GS3 to JellyBean because Kies wont update.

UKCAT5FAN

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I am about at my wits end! IEverytime I open Kies, it says.......Please update latest version of Kies and then update firmware. So, I try to update kies and it fails everytime. It either says that there is a network error, that the process has stopped, that it already has the latest version installed, or it starts and then stops within 5 minutes with only 3% completed. I have tried several things to fix this issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Kies about 6 or 7 times, I have turned of Firewall/ popups, I have rebooted my computer several times, I have plugged up my PC directly to the modem. Im not sure what else to do. After if has said that I have the latest version, it still hasnt show that there is even an update to download. It recognized my S3 just fine everytime I plug it in. Ive had my battery fully charged and I am using the saung USB cord as well. Ive done just about everything ghat I ve read to do but still no luck. I would appreciate anyone help and input except for the person that suggest that I just flash my phone cause im not looking to do that yet. So, someone please HELP!!! Why is an update this hard? Thanks!!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the first question is what operating system are you running, Windows, MacOS X, which version of these? 32 bit or 64 bit?

What version of Kies are you running? I know that you have uninstalled and reinstalled, but have you downloaded the latest version directly from Samsung? My version is showing version: 2.5.0.12114_1

Pay attention to the hard drive activity light on your computer, because a part of the process is to extract(think about it like unzipping) the files that are downloaded, and this CAN take a while. Do you have at least 2GB of RAM and at least 2GB of FREE hard drive space?

I am about at my wits end! IEverytime I open Kies, it says.......Please update latest version of Kies and then update firmware. So, I try to update kies and it fails everytime. It either says that there is a network error, that the process has stopped, that it already has the latest version installed, or it starts and then stops within 5 minutes with only 3% completed. I have tried several things to fix this issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Kies about 6 or 7 times, I have turned of Firewall/ popups, I have rebooted my computer several times, I have plugged up my PC directly to the modem. Im not sure what else to do. After if has said that I have the latest version, it still hasnt show that there is even an update to download. It recognized my S3 just fine everytime I plug it in. Ive had my battery fully charged and I am using the saung USB cord as well. Ive done just about everything ghat I ve read to do but still no luck. I would appreciate anyone help and input except for the person that suggest that I just flash my phone cause im not looking to do that yet. So, someone please HELP!!! Why is an update this hard? Thanks!!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I had to try several times but finally got it to update on my six year old Windows pc. I was only able to update using my Windows 7 laptop. Try uninstalling Kies and doing a fresh install. Update Java to the latest version as well before starting the update. This seems to have helped some users with update issues.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

jafa666

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
When I spoke to samsung support, they told me to first make sure your running most current kies. Secondly, if you have any anti-virus or firewalls running on PC to turn them off as well as on your device. Next was to make sure you have your device registered with samsung. After i did all this i was able to update my galaxys3 with no problem. I feel your pain because i didn't do all this a few days earlier and when i went to get the update, my phone bricked and i had to spend money getting a new phone. I hope this helps you out in anyway.

nonesuch55

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
This is what worked for me with Win7 x64:
1. Give the computer the three finger salute (ctrl + alt + del)
2. Select Task Manager
3. Click the processes tab
4. Stop the offending programs (KiesPDLR.exe and KiesTrayAgent.exe)
5. Repeat step #4 as necessary.

After the update completes successfully, repeat after me: "Samsung is good, Kies is evil."
;)

SinjinNYC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
System OS: Win 7 64Bit with Java 7 already updated.

@ nonesuch55: Thanks, worked like a charm! I originally tried this but did not notice how persistent the programs were.

Note to all users: I know nonesuch55 said to repeat as needed, but I thought I should specify this added point:

Open Kies but do not click to update yet. Open task manager, after killing the process "KiesTrayAgent.exe*32" & "KiesPDLR.exe*32" wait a few moments with Task Manager window open. Its just like the annoying Apple push and Itunes helper, you kill the process and it restarts a few minutes later. (Even if you are not using the program!) Re kill the processes, once it finally stops restarting, click on the update, you should be good to go!

Also depending on your antivirus, check to make sure your personal firewall is not blocking the update. I have the option to disable for a desired time while I push updates which also usually clears most problems as well.

BBJoe2011

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what worked for me with Win7 x64:
1. Give the computer the three finger salute (ctrl + alt + del)
2. Select Task Manager
3. Click the processes tab
4. Stop the offending programs (KiesPDLR.exe and KiesTrayAgent.exe)
5. Repeat step #4 as necessary.

After the update completes successfully, repeat after me: "Samsung is good, Kies is evil."
;)

This did the trick for me!! Thanks A TON!

skt1978

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice. I tried the above and nothing worked on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I got a bit of joy when I ran Kies in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility - the update would run but then freeze at 19%. Following the advice above I had the task manager open and I went into the properties of the updater (sorry I cannot remember the name) and set that to XP Service Pack 3 compatibility. I ran Kies again and tried to update and presto - Kies updated.

Now I don't have to install Odin or wait for the OTA. Thanks for all the help!

Justin Bassett1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice. I tried the above and nothing worked on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I got a bit of joy when I ran Kies in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility - the update would run but then freeze at 19%. Following the advice above I had the task manager open and I went into the properties of the updater (sorry I cannot remember the name) and set that to XP Service Pack 3 compatibility. I ran Kies again and tried to update and presto - Kies updated.

Now I don't have to install Odin or wait for the OTA. Thanks for all the help!

This worked for me - Changed Kies to XP Compatibility mode, and the Kies Task Tray and Kies PDLR. The update did puke about 30-something percent into it though and had to do emergency recovery. At that point, also changed the SGH-I777.exe process to compatibility mode as well. Phone recovered and finished update without any further hitches.

Ronnie Vee

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!! I ran Kies in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode and made sure that KiesPDLR.exe and KiesTrayAgent.exe were stopped. This did the trick after days of trying to upgrade the firmware on my phone. I was about to give up on Samsung at this point.

Raj1506

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi no reply seen for this question.... The Kies disconnects my phone as soon as the download of upgrade files get started.... and phone do not get upgraded as it says lost contact with phone... and wanted to remove battery, switch off and switch on to try again... I did that 3 times..but same issues... Any help.
Help! I have tried everything here....When I start the firmware upgrade it disconnects my phone after 6 seconds. Why????

xxavatarxx

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I know this is quite old but I still got the same problem in 2015, BUT I just did Run as Administrator and it worked fine for me. I'm not sure what the update is (doing it atm), but I hope its Android 5.0/5.01 L :) If that doesn't work try deleting the Kies and downloading it again, and then try Run as Administrator.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo