Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By D16RR
  • 1 Post By techie5
  • 2 Post By spicylioness
  • 1 Post By Marta Celenia
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Default att address book horror

The hideous att address book now does a prompt every other time I open contacts. I looked for an app to kill but could not find one. Is there something to make that crap go away?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Default Re: att address book horror

You could try going to settings--application manager--all and locating the AT&T Address Book and disable it (if it allows). Otherwise, you may need to root to be able to do so.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Just cancel it each time, and after a few times, it will stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

That is my hope. So far I've seen it twice. They really want that data. A search indicated there was a way to disable it in the ATT user website. Not yet able to locate this, as the website layout has been altered since the advice was posted.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Just open & close it a few times until it stops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts

Yes, I just got my g2 today and this att address book keeps popping up.It won't go away. I can't believe there is no way to stop it
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

The good news is it stops after just a few pop ups.

Quote Originally Posted by techie5 View Post
    Yes, I just got my g2 today and this att address book keeps popping up.It won't go away. I can't believe there is no way to stop it

I have the S3 and the AT&T address book note "will sync when on a mobile network" is coming up constantly and it's seems to be happening more and more and more often!!!

I keep getting the pop-up too...has not gone away after many times. Is there a way to force it to sync?

no it does not quit after a time. Mine has been doing it now every action I make with my phone...during dialing, during web browsing, during sending a text message...for well over a week now. HOW do we stop it?? I have been into contacts and said to not sync but it seems worse now...so I changed to say yes, sync...still nothing.

I get the same message on my Galaxy S4 Active and unfortunately NOONE at both AT&T stores knows how to get rid of it. Expect it to happen whenever data is turned off.

I just tried this and it seems to have worked. It was driving me crazy on my galaxy s5. Go to contacts>settings>at&t address book<auto sync contacts: uncheck that. Hope it works for you, it did for me.
    GSDer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta Celenia View Post
    I just tried this and it seems to have worked. It was driving me crazy on my galaxy s5. Go to contacts>settings>at&t address book<auto sync contacts: uncheck that. Hope it works for you, it did for me.

The problem might be AT&T Locker. I uninstalled it and that took care of it.

This was a little different on my S5. I had to start with Settings, then choose Contacts and find Accounts. From there I could uncheck the box.

Hi, I also have this when I turn off Cellular Data on Galaxy S5 with latest Android. The Sync setting on mine was really difficult to find... but It was :
    Open Contact app (the built in one, not an AT&T thing)
    Go to the "..." menu on the upper right and choose Settings
    From the next menu Choose Contacts
    From the next menu choose Accounts
    On this menu, choose the "..." menu on the upper right ((NOT the AT&T Address Book item on the menu, but the "More" button/menu on the upper right)
    Uncheck "Auto sync data"

After I did this, I still got one more pop-up, but then it seemed to be gone after that.

Tried it. Doesn't work.

The address book option doesn't appear in my settings on my S4.

Quote Originally Posted by D16RR View Post
    The good news is it stops after just a few pop ups.
    No it doesnt. Mine has been doing it about 8 times a day if not more for about 2 months now

For my Galaxy S6 Active, the following seems to work to shut off syncing the ATT Address Book: Go to Apps/ Contacts/ (More)/ Settings/ Accounts/ AT&T Address Book, and turn autosync off.

Settings>Applications (running) scroll town to STOP sync (Samsung III)

"AT&T address book will sync your contacts when your mobile phone is on a mobile network".

Glad I studied computer science in the late 80's!!!! AT&T monopoly!

I posted my solution today-Enjoy!

S3 Solution:
    at the left side of the on/off button on the screen bottom, there will light a little "window." TAP IT.
    It will open a menu
    + Add apps and windgets. TAP IT
    TAP the "window" again.
    Uninstall "At&T Locker" app tapping the minus signals
    Good Luck

My friend has an HTC One M9 he is on AT&T I think the Marshmallow update came today and he did something where it asked if he wanted to sync messages and now he is getting a ton of old messages and his messaging app keeps saying syncing and he doesn't know how to stop it. And now his phone is so slow. It asked hoim something and he chose yes and than it started.

Quote Originally Posted by D16RR View Post
    The hideous att address book now does a prompt every other time I open contacts. I looked for an app to kill but could not find one. Is there something to make that crap go away?
    SOLVED AT LAST!!!
    Ok this is what worked for me:
    1 Export / backup your phone address book before anything... I did it by exporting as cv card on my SD
    2 log in your att addres book website https://addressbook.att.net/ there you will find all your contacts
    3 Select and delete all your contacts. Your phone would pop a warning message like "if you delete your address all accounts will be deleted as well"... disregard and continue with deletion
    4 After deletion is completed go to the website and manually synchronize: click on the website on Settings -> Sync -> Sync manually (sync now button)
    5 You will see how your phone's address begins to feed up, be patience
    DONE... no more notifications

Hope it helps!