Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question ERROR on recovery --> E: failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)

Ok so I don't know if it is related, but for the last 3 weeks, my phone has often decided it is going to be slow OR... it has a mind of its own and without any fingers, water, or other things touching it, will type on its own, select files, attempt to change the wallpaper, etc. No matter how much I mash my fingers on it to "listen," it just keeps at it!

So, today I thought I would just do a soft reset via recovery and wiping the cache partition. I've done it before for the above problem, and thought it doesn't hurt to try again to see if it helps (I am undecided as to if it makes any difference). I did wipe the cache partition, then chose "reboot system now" and it got stuck on the ATT logo screen. I repeated this process 3 times and it doesn't change the result. Every time I reach the recovery screen, the lines below the yellow text "Successfully applied multi-CSC," it says (exactly),

E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
    can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
    E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
    E:Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt

Besides doing a full factory reset (which would hopefully solve the problem), what can I do to fix my phone?

TIA!!!

Default Re: ERROR on recovery --> E: failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)

Since /data is where your information is stored there's no downside to performing a Factory Reset in Recovery mode. You might as well do that and see if the phone boots properly - if it gives you some other errors it may be time to reload the firmware.

If there's a Best Buy nearby you could take it in and they should be able to wipe/reload the whole thing.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk