Galaxy S3 Won't Boot after 4.4 Update Attempt

timco123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S3 was on 4.3 yesterday and working fine. Not rooted. This morning it downloaded the 4.4 update, got to 100% Install and rebooted itself and now only makes it to the initial Samsung Galaxy S3 screen. Then it goes black. I downloaded the Stock OTA Update 4.3 I747UCUEMJB and put it on the phone micro SD card. Tried to "apply update from external storage" but got an error that begins with "assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint")... E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7)"

And then it reboots and locks up again. Do I just have the wrong file? If so, where can I find a good SGH-I747 4.3 file?

I'm new to this so just tell me what else you would need to know.

Thanks!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Unfortunately you can not downgrade to a previous Android version.
Try booting into recovery mode (Hold volume up + home + power) and wiping the cache partition. Then reboot and see if it gets past the boot animation.

timco123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Apparently I am impatient though because I tried to downgrade to 4.1 but got no further and now I can't get to recovery mode. Up Home Power no longer takes me there. It just reboots the phone. However, before I did that I did clear the cache and reboot with no luck. I'll be patient and wait for a response this time.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It did not work at all.

OK. In that case I'd pull out the battery for about half an hour and then try booting up again.
Would a factory reset be out of the question if you still can't get it to work?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

timco123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I pulled the battery and left it out overnight. Same result when I put it back in though. I have no problem with a factory reset at this point. I have already done the factory reset command from the recovery screen.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You're going to have to load the current 4.4.x (or perhaps the 4.3) firmware, but for some reason that I've yet to figure out, current firmware for the AT&T variant is not available on the two most used sites (SamMobile.com and Samsung-updates.com) - all that's posted is really old 4.1.x, which won't do you any good.

You could try using the Kies software (be sure you're running Kies v3) to reload the firmware.

Or you can see if you can find the firmware somewhere else and use Odin.

If you happen to have a Best Buy nearby you can take the phone in to them and they should be able to reload it for you.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You're going to have to load the current 4.4.x (or perhaps the 4.3) firmware, but for some reason that I've yet to figure out, current firmware for the AT&T variant is not available on the two most used sites (SamMobile.com and Samsung-updates.com) - all that's posted is really old 4.1.x, which won't do you any good.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
Those two sites are no longer going to update firmwares. Hotfile shut down voluntarily so he's going to have to find the stock ROM elsewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

timco123

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Wife's phone (also S3) did the 4.4 update OTA fine 2 weeks ago. Is the ROM saved on her phone somewhere that I can pull it off and install it on mine?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Wife's phone (also S3) did the 4.4 update OTA fine 2 weeks ago. Is the ROM saved on her phone somewhere that I can pull it off and install it on mine?
I would imagine the file gets deleted once it is used.
Anyway, her phone would have to be rooted in order for you to see the file - it's in the /cache/FOTA directory.