Since 4.4.2 update odd behavior with cell radio

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I just started noticing that my radio is behaving oddly since the update. AT&T provided me with a micro-cell device which as you may know, improves reception for areas where signal is weak. Before the update, my phone would always find the device which would display in the notification bar as "AT&T Microcell". Since the update, when I get home, it will ONLY find it when I make a call but when idling, it just shows AT&T with weak signal (2 bars). Am wondering if anyone else has been experiencing weaker than normal reception since the update. I don't want to do a factory reset nor do I think it will solve the problem. Everything else works fine with the phone however. Thanks.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Is the weak signal LTE? The micro cell doesn't support that so the phone would attempt to stay on cellular LTE only switching to the micro cell if it couldn't make a call. I had to disable LTE on our S3 because our booster doesn't support LTE either and there was just enough LTE signal to cause the phone to constantly hunt.

caseym54

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have the same problem. When I come home, the phone thinks it's connected to a weak distant tower (one bar), sometimes LTE, sometimes not. People calling me when the phone is like that get voicemail. I generally have to restart the phone. 4.4.2

Note that the reception doesn't seem to have changed -- all carriers are very weak due to geography -- only the ability to switch automatically to the much stronger microcell signal.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I come home, the phone thinks it's connected to a weak distant tower (one bar), sometimes LTE, sometimes not.
Perhaps you could use something like GSam Battery Monitor Pro http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro (there's also a free version) to quantify your cellular signal - look at the Radio Detail
8aqu8are.jpg
- this will show you a breakdown of your cellular signal much more accurately than the History details in the Battery view
paqyhy8a.jpg

If you generally have a lousy signal at home you may want to look into getting a Network Extender - it's a one-time purchase from your carrier that will boost your voice or data (or both) signal.

Please stop confusing the number of bars (cellular signal = voice) and LTE (mobile data) - unless you or your carrier are restricted to VOIP, one has nothing to do with the other. Unfortunately I haven't found an app that quantifies the mobile data signal like GSam does the cellular signal, but there are apps that will show the instantaneous mobile data signal level (ex. SignalCheck Lite http://market.android.com/details?id=com.blueline.signalchecklite)
y4u2u6ag.jpg
(I was using 3G at the time which is why it didn't show an LTE signal level.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress