wipe data/factory reset (recovery console) vs factory reset through

Keith Kempker

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Is there a difference between the 2? I am still having intermittent issues with my battery draining for for reason and thinking about resetting and starting over. I had major issues with the sd card going bad and draining the battery, but I don't even have the sd card in anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't believe there's any difference.

Can you describe your battery problems a little more? Have you tried a new battery?

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Keith Kempker

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Concerning the main question regarding the reset, is there a difference?

Battery problems... let's see, battery draining for no reason. It can be sitting on my desk, be at 85%, then an hour later be at 70%, push email is off (set to check every hour).

NeoGrandizer

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The factory reset through Android Recovery would be a 'cleaner' method. Only because you are outside the OS environment when performing the operation. IIRC, the Recovery Console method will actually wipe the cache and data partitions (not just wipe the data in the partitions), then rewrite them. Using the factory reset method in the settings is not as clean as you are still operating the wipe within the OS.