Need advice on upgrading my SD card..

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would like to upgrade the SD card in my Inspire., and I have a few questions..

Is 32gb the largest I can use?

What does everyone recommend? I've found quite a few name brand cards on Amazon in the 25.00 range.. I also noticed that there are class 10, and class 4..

Any advice?

Thanks in advance..

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Class 4 is fine for the inspire. It doesn't need any thing faster. Then it depends on how much room you need. As for brand I trust san disk.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually It's recommended that you use class 6 because loading times for external data would be slow and game files wouldn't work as well. I have a class 10 32 GiB for under $45 from Amazon.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses..

Now my next question is what do I need to do to prepare the card for use?

What method do I use to format the card?

Once it's formatted, do I just copy all the content off the old card on to the new one?

Thanks again for the help...

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I would like to upgrade the SD card in my Inspire., and I have a few questions..

Is 32gb the largest I can use?

What does everyone recommend? I've found quite a few name brand cards on Amazon in the 25.00 range.. I also noticed that there are class 10, and class 4..

Any advice?

Thanks in advance..

Get the biggest class 10 card that your phone can take, AND your budget can afford. Beware of relabled cards on eBay.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok my advice is get a usb card reader and copy your sd card in a windows document file and put the new sd card in your phone format it and simply drag and drop ti the phine when the box pops up get a 32 gig if possible ans yes 32 hc is the largest

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses..

Now my next question is what do I need to do to prepare the card for use?

What method do I use to format the card?

Once it's formatted, do I just copy all the content off the old card on to the new one?

Thanks again for the help...

Be sure to format the card in the phone, not in the PC. And I would go higher than class 4. I have a 32gig class 4 that's about half full, and it takes a while to mount after restarting or connecting to PC.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It has been verified that 64 GiB micro SD cards work unofficially but the cards are very expensive and for some reason partition about 10 to 5 GB for the SD card program. A little set back unless you really need that much space... My suggestion, a Samsung galaxy player is probably cheaper with a 16 GiB SD card with less hassle. Or a IPod touch but I think this would be frowned upon this community:D

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Just put it in the phone and it should format it automatically but yea a reg class 4 is good anything else your throwing your money away remember we don't have a multi core phone so we don't need that extra boost radio shack has their sandisk on sale rite now ;) so hit them up I only trust sandisk for SD cards but go with who ever.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help.. I pulled the trigger on a Lexar class 10. Got it for just under 30.00 shipped, and it included a USB adapter..

Few more questions..

After I insert the card, and format it, will it essentially restore my phone? It's rooted with CM7. I know it won't unroot the phone, but will I need to restore all my settings, apps, etc? Do I necessarily have to copy back all the folders, or will the format process take care of re-installing the basics that the phone needs? I'm fine with starting from scratch, I was actually thinking of doing a restore anyway since my GPS doesn't work- most likely because I installed multiple GPS patches, and screwed it up.. What about the radio?

Thanks again!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
After formatting, the system will install the folders it needs to have on the SD card. Anything you put on the old one yourself (apps, pictures, music, etc.) you'll have to copy to the new one. Your settings should remain intact.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the same class 10 32 GiB Lexar and it works wonders. Some Roms lower the maximum speed that the card can both read or write so make the rom has a SD card mod if you're rooted. If you're stock then the speeds should be vary fast.:D

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Get rom tool box it has a SD mod root explorers all kinds of things XD but be careful with the read and write speed too much tweeking can kill your SD card. But yes your new SD card you will have to copy all the files off the old one and transfer them unless you have a cloud based back up such as drop box but then again that's a different story that's what I mentioned by hooking it to the computer

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89