Problem with WiFi and phone calls/text

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So, I just got my G2 a couple days ago. I did a quick google search and noticed some other people (on different networks) are having a similar problem. Let's see if the expertise here can figure this out.

When I turn on my WiFi I can't receive calls or texts. I find that generally speaking I can send texts (haven't tried calling out), but nothing will come in until after I turn off my WiFi.

Now, I'll say I have tried being called with my WiFi on, and then again off without otherwise touching or moving my phone, and it went through only while WiFi was off. Also, as soon as I turn my WiFi off and let it connect to the network decently again, it receives all my texts. The interesting thing is that it always tells me what time they were sent (instead of what time they got to my phone) which never happened on my last phone (a blackberry 9900) if I didn't get them right away.

What say you, Android Central community? My next plan is to see if I can disable the LTE (through the secret menu) and then see if that helps.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Continuing to search I found the option to "Turn on SMS over IMS" which a thread I read through Google suggested this will send the texts over LTE. Any ideas on this helping? Except that I don't always get LTE.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
So, I just got my G2 a couple days ago. I did a quick google search and noticed some other people (on different networks) are having a similar problem. Let's see if the expertise here can figure this out.

When I turn on my WiFi I can't receive calls or texts. I find that generally speaking I can send texts (haven't tried calling out), but nothing will come in until after I turn off my WiFi.

Now, I'll say I have tried being called with my WiFi on, and then again off without otherwise touching or moving my phone, and it went through only while WiFi was off. Also, as soon as I turn my WiFi off and let it connect to the network decently again, it receives all my texts. The interesting thing is that it always tells me what time they were sent (instead of what time they got to my phone) which never happened on my last phone (a blackberry 9900) if I didn't get them right away.

What say you, Android Central community? My next plan is to see if I can disable the LTE (through the secret menu) and then see if that helps.
You have to tell people if you have altered the phone in any way, but I, and a few others that I know own the phone, haven't had any of your problems. Assuming you haven't rooted it (crazy thing to do to a new device) try reseting the phone now! Don't add any apps or alter it in any way(except adding WIFI), and see if you still are having problems. If you are, send the damn thing back. It is in no way normal for any device to do what is happening to you.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to tell people if you have altered the phone in any way, but I, and a few others that I know own the phone, haven't had any of your problems. Assuming you haven't rooted it (crazy thing to do to a new device) try reseting the phone now! Don't add any apps or alter it in any way(except adding WIFI), and see if you still are having problems. If you are, send the damn thing back. It is in no way normal for any device to do what is happening to you.
I haven't altered the OS at all. I did do the little update the other day (from AT&T) and have very few apps (Endomondo, MyFitnessPal, Sworkit, and Snapchat). I wasn't even using Hangouts until the problem started.

I gave it a quick try at a local restaurant that had free WiFi. While I have full LTE service it doesn't seem to be a problem (I had the WiFi on and received a call and a few texts). Only seems to be an issue when in my apartment where I have low (and especially low LTE) 4g service.

So I'm not really sure where to start. Seems like if I could just disable the LTE the phone would work fine and dandy. Also, I'm not sure whether to contact AT&T or LG, as my Blackberry didn't really have the same problem on the same network.

I do want to get it resolved quickly, especially if I have to get a new device. I'll contact AT&T online support now and see what they say.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I've seen reports where the problem was the router. Try to see if yours has an update, anf if that isn't working for ya, borrow another router and try it. Or just go to someone elses house and try there.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, now I'm about two weeks in and I'm back to report, it's a bigger problem.

The problem isn't WiFi, as I've noticed that even while I have WiFi on, it still sends me texts. It's just more sporadic it seems.

I noticed today, though, that it's not just at my place either. It is, however, distinctly a SMS problem. For example, tonight I sent a couple text messages from my house and went out. I went to an area where I had full service and spent almost 30 minutes there. It wasn't until after I sent a text message to a buddy that it finally gathered all my text messages and gave them to me (some with times almost 40 minutes prior).

So now I'm at a loss. I worry that calling AT&T or LG and they'll send me a refurbished phone. I also worry that it's a problem that's not really that big of a deal, as it happens so infrequently. It's basically when I have little to no service and then come out. I should get those messages right away but for some reason my phone just doesn't "request" or check for the SMS messages or they aren't pushed to my phone by AT&T. It's frustrating, to say the least. I'd like to try another phone out to see if it's just mine, but I worry it will be like this on all G2s.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Have you done a factory reset yet? If not it's important the you do. Do nothing to the phone, no roms apps settings etc, and rule out something you did.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer