How to get more _internal_ memory

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my phone. One of the reasons I did so, was so I could get more internal space (for user apps). I thought by getting rid of some of the ATT stuff (Navigator, Live TV, etc), I could free up some memory.

I used Titanium Backup and got rid of those two (and perhaps one or two others), yet my internal memory did not increase. When I look at the Overview on TB, it shows that I have 22 megs free of System ROM memory, but my internal memory is still the same.

My question is: How do I increase my internal memory?

I feel like there is something I'm not doing quite right.

Thanks!

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
i am not sure why its not improving your mem. after deletion. aside from that you can move apps to sd to free sys space.
try rebooting

Last edited:

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I've rebooted several times. The System directory is Read only...does it need to be changed to writeable?

I have found a bit of a solution. I'm using link2sd and that has increased my usable memory considerably. Before I had about 21 mb of free space...I now have 84 megs and have installed several other programs including Google Music (which I had to delete before).

I had been using App2SD which helped some...Link2SD has helped a lot. Although, right now I'm using both App2SD and Link2SD. They seem to copy programs to the SD card in different ways. So sometimes, when linking doesn't seem to make much difference, I use App2SD to move it to the SD card. Not sure that is good or not.

My true hope is to be able to delete some of the system programs and use that space...but right now there is 22 megs just sitting in the Systems/app directory not used....

Thanks for any insight/advice.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well you can only get so much done with stock. i didnt try removing sys apps, i just froze them. between that and move to sd i think i got to about where you are. i only had and still have TB and ES File Explorer. they work well. the only thing i can think that might be your issue is that what ever is trying to delete the apps you want to remove is not removing it completely. and that might be why you dont have a brick. some sys apps use core files, that if removed your phone dont work.

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I removed any system apps that are important to the functionality of the phone. I got rid of ATT Navigator and one other program that was needed to pay ATT some $$ monthly to use it...I tried to not mess with any apps that seemed to be core functionality. After I saw that uninstalling these (with TB) didn't have the desired effect, I stopped uninstalling them.

Right now the memory seems to be much better running Link2SD. Now wondering if I should be using App2SD with Link2SD concurrently.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I removed any system apps that are important to the functionality of the phone. I got rid of ATT Navigator and one other program that was needed to pay ATT some $$ monthly to use it...I tried to not mess with any apps that seemed to be core functionality. After I saw that uninstalling these (with TB) didn't have the desired effect, I stopped uninstalling them.

Right now the memory seems to be much better running Link2SD. Now wondering if I should be using App2SD with Link2SD concurrently.

i have no advice as i havnt used either of them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty