Can't I use GPS navigation without internet?

debkol35

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought a LG Thrive P506 Unlocked mobile from ebay.com. I see there is GPS navigation. Problem is, GPS navigation is guiding me fine while my internet is on but while internet is off, Map is opening but the guiding process is not working. After opening the map, a message is coming "trying to get driving route" !!

So, My question is, can't I use navigation without internet? if possible, then how? plz help.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps will not work without data. However, there are GPS apps with offline maps. I use an app called Sygic. You can download your area to your SD card and never need data for GPS. I downloaded the entire state of Florida and it was about 300mb. There is a Sygic Europe version also.

Last edited:

bluntman_420

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
@ FBPD10

before you go telling someone something you CLEARLY have no idea about why don't you do some research first. As korrectmethod has said already YES you can. I have personally used : Sygic, Navigon, and tomtom. You just have to download the map data for the area you wish to use gps in.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Google Maps will not work without data. However, there are GPS apps with offline maps. I use an app called Sygic. You can download your area to your SD card and never need data for GPS. I downloaded the entire state of Florida and it was about 300mb. There is a Sygic Europe version also.

Google Maps actually let's u download maps for offline use... Except you can only download specific areas at a time rather than a whole state or county

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
And GPS works without an actual internet connection. Just turn on Wi-Fi and it pings the satellites. All you need are the offline maps like you said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Taranjeet Singh

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
U can
U just have to have google maps
First u have to have internet when u ar doing the search stuff
After that u have searched your destination
Take a look at your route
I mean just scroll
Than u shall begin your journey but do not close the app
Close the wifi
And the map will still work

sabsender

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Sure you can. All smartphones come with a GPS receiver and your wireless adapter assists in locating yourself in the area you are in. That's how all navigation devices work as well and therefore no reason for your cellphone not to. You may want to turn on your Wifi and location service and you should be good. The next bit is mapping your location on a map existing in your device. I use Nokia HERE which lets you download full maps for free and it's quite rich as well. So next time when you travel, turn on your wifi and location service and open up your GPS application and it should work the same way as Google maps or any navigation system using your data. Hope this helps.

Chris Jorda

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Dude! You are the answer to my prayers! I was like wondering why won't GPS work when I already downloaded the offline map. It was so frustrating!! What a simply solution to my problem. Thanks! Just turn on your WIFI and 'location' guys, you don't have to be in a network or to have internet access to find your location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non