Reasonable Spell Checker?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a G2 to check but on my EVO Shift if I go in to the software keyboard settings and then turn on the spell checker that spell checker works for the physical keyboard

stpbud

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I ended up buying Smart Keyboard Pro. Still not a proper spell checker, but it's better than nothing. The downside is now I've lost my function of the ".com" key on the physical keyboard. I tried used auto text set it up, but no dice.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Android never has had a built in spell checker. Probably due to the fact that there had always been predictive text and the spell check really isn't necessary. I'm sure google just views it as redundant (they are still engineers at their core)

Sent from my HTC Vision

MOBY66

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
When I have the keyboard open on the G2, the autofill no longer works. Works when using the screen keyboard. Also, getting ready to chuck the phone in the lake due to no spell check. Any good fixes?

stpbud

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
^^I'll say it again. It's a shock to not have a spell checker on a device. And to those who say google doesn't think it's needed, why do they include it in Chrome?

evanname

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on the G2 (epic4g), but the lack of a spell checker in android is also driving me nuts.

Predictive text is not the same thing as a spell checker. Personally, I just don't like the way it works when typing out an email on a physical keyboard.

However, beyond my preferences, I've heard the predictive text argument so many times I thought I'd just chime in with one concrete example of when it fails.

I work in a professional biological research position and use a pretty hefty amount of acronyms, which are often quite close to 'actual' words. Furthermore, as I go from project to project (and sometimes even within a project), those acronyms change on a monthly (or even weekly!) time frame. In a situation like this, predictive text is a nightmare. It is constantly changing things, which in this context can drastically change the meaning of the email, rather than just be a noticeable spelling or grammar snafu. On the other hand, it is decidedly unprofessional to send out emails with spelling errors.

So perhaps you can see the problems some of us have, even if it does not affect you personally. I've posted this same request to Google's site, but since they have been ignoring it for years I'm not terribly optimistic.....

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana