G2, vibrant, or torch?

tam0o

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone! i am in need of opinions. I know that posting here will have biased opinions but I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of every phone.
I've been a die-hard blackberry user for the past 5 years and never thought that I would ever consider any other type of phone.
Android, however, is sparking my interest. I don't know anything about it other than it is less secure than blackberry and that it is more customizable. I'm not sure if customization factors apply to ALL android phones or just certain models.
Also, I mostly use my phone for texting and entertainment. I always thought that a touchscreen would set back my texting but after seeing how swype works, I'm a little curious about going full touchscreen. I may never know until I try for myself but I wanted to get some information beforehand.
Any comments or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!:p

p.s. i'm also considering the new mytouch.

Last edited:

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Well let's take the easy part first, Blackberry or Android? Blackberry is hell to develop for due to OS and often hardware limitations. So if you love your apps and games, go Android. It's my opinion that RIM has let their OS stagnate for WAY too long and Android blows it out of the water in every way, but some do feel differently. If you need the security and push email (that's NOT gmail), go blackberry.

You cited the G2, Vibrant, and MyTouch HD as possible choices, and honestly each have their own pros/cons that tailor them to different crowds/needs. The G2 has a superior build quality to the vibrant (metal vs plastic), but the vibrant has a beast of a gpu. Both have swype (which rocks) and the G2 has stock Android and a nice hardware keyboard. There have been long debates over which is "better", but honestly nobody wins those.

As far as the MyTouch, the main difference looks to be a front facing camera for video calling, if that tickles your fancy. But no matter what anyone says you really need to go to a T-Mobile store and play with each yourself to see what you prefer. For what it's worth I'm a former Blackberry user, and I'm never going back..

Reactions: tam0o

Ymees

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I just traded in my BB8900 for a G2 and am very pleased so far. Syncing with my Google accounts is perfect, my work email is flawless, and the multimedia is nice. I copied some music and movies to my G2 and everything plays well. Looks like I won't be needing my Zune for much longer. All in all, I'm very happy. My wife upgraded from a MyTouch 3G to a G2 and she's pretty stoked as well. I too have been a long time BB user, but I've been itching to make the switch for awhile. no regrets thus far.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
How does the Torch even get lumped in here?
It's a inferior device just like the rest of Blackberry RIMjob garbage.
Sorry, I just get excited when I hear comparison of a RIM tech antique
to any state of the art technology, RIM is obsolete.

tam0o

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
How does the Torch even get lumped in here?
It's a inferior device just like the rest of Blackberry RIMjob garbage.
Sorry, I just get excited when I hear comparison of a RIM tech antique
to any state of the art technology, RIM is obsolete.

I understand why a lot of people would feel that way.. it's just been a really sturdy and reliable device. The call quality and reception has been unsurpassed on my bb9700.

K Bear

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Comiing from an 8120 to a 9700 to now a G2 has been amazing. Better signal strength, better, physical keyboard, better browser, more fluid & reliable OS say it all for Android devices. Blackberry is the next Palm.

If you want a pure entertainment device, go with the Vibrant. If you want a workhorse, go with the G2.

RevMen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I traded in my Blackberry 9700 for a Vibrant about 10 days ago. It was good, but I missed how easy communicating is on Blackberry. After I installed some apps and made some changes to settings, the Vibrant was starting to get in line and I decided to stay on Android. The variety of apps is the biggest draw.

Then today I went to the T-Mobile store and started playing with the G2. I like it a lot more than the Vibrant. The size, feel, keyboard, and vanilla Froyo make it feel more "correct" to me coming from Blackberry. So I brought it home with me. I've been messing with it all day and it's really great.

In summary:
-Came from Blackberry 9700
-Tried Vibrant, liked it but it didn't fully appeal to my Blackberry sensibilities
-Switched to G2, like it more, especially from a "coming from Blackberry" standpoint.

K Bear

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I traded in my Blackberry 9700 for a Vibrant about 10 days ago. It was good, but I missed how easy communicating is on Blackberry. After I installed some apps and made some changes to settings, the Vibrant was starting to get in line and I decided to stay on Android. The variety of apps is the biggest draw.

Then today I went to the T-Mobile store and started playing with the G2. I like it a lot more than the Vibrant. The size, feel, keyboard, and vanilla Froyo make it feel more "correct" to me coming from Blackberry. So I brought it home with me. I've been messing with it all day and it's really great.

In summary:
-Came from Blackberry 9700
-Tried Vibrant, liked it but it didn't fully appeal to my Blackberry sensibilities
-Switched to G2, like it more, especially from a "coming from Blackberry" standpoint.
I'm in complete agreement with you. This is where Blackberry should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez