My first android - did I make the right choice?

kingston73

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So I finally made the jump from blackberry to android. I have tmobile and I've had a blackberry for years. I started with the old 8320 and upgraded to the 8900, and I am up for a renew now. I was hoping blackberry would have something new and exciting but for tmo the newest is the 9780, which isn't much of an improvement over my 8900. Definitely not enough of an improvement for me to sign up for another 2 years. I was just going to wait and keep the 8900 and see what else would come along maybe next year, but then Tmo went and offered up their G2 for free and I just couldn't resist. I really wanted a bigger screen, and if Tmo had the 9800 I might have gone with that, but other than losing BBM I don't see why I should stay with BB.

Anything I should know about my first android phone? I don't even have it yet, but wanted to introduce myself and start reading up on everything ahead of time.

Blkbear

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Anything to know about it? Nope, just play with it and get used to it, then ask questions if you have any after playing with it a few hours. ;)

Like anything new, you will need to explore the options, menus and all that jazz, and forget comparing it to anything you have used in the past, because that will only drive you insane.

trees247

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Use Google talk you wont miss BBM!! and I'm not rooted but I have laucher pro and Desktop visualizer and now I can change the look i just download icons from XD site, this is a hot phone ohh 4G!

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Welcome!! Nothing to know, just post any questions you have and we'll be happy to help. Oh and download angry birds from the market... :)

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Not too much to know really. I think you will be amazed at the capabilities android has coming from blackberry, but it is easy to get a hang of it. I just love the customization of android. You can pretty much make it the phone you want with the options that are available.

Sent from my HTC Vision

kingston73

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone today, a full week earlier than UPS estimated their delivery. So far things are looking good, but a few simple things I just can't figure out. First, how do I adjust the call volume???
2nd - for those of you who have used Blackberry's before, what is the best, closest IM app to BBM? I'm a little overwhelmed with the choices available, I don't even have a clue where to start.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That you have made one of the best decision in your life, when it comes to a great Operating System.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Got my phone today, a full week earlier than UPS estimated their delivery. So far things are looking good, but a few simple things I just can't figure out. First, how do I adjust the call volume???
2nd - for those of you who have used Blackberry's before, what is the best, closest IM app to BBM? I'm a little overwhelmed with the choices available, I don't even have a clue where to start.

Don't use a messenger, but when you're in a call the volume rocker on your left adjusts the volume. Out of a call it adjusts ringtone. Watching a video it adjusts media.

Amazed by swype yet?

Rickroller

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

My personal choice for a BBM replacement is Whatsapp. It's got Delivered/Read notification, as well as Video/Pic/Voice note sharing capabilities..and is set up virtually the same as BBM. The only downside is it doesnt have group chat..but the fact that you can use it cross platform and chat with BB users, iPhone users, and Android users makes this a must have imo.

thegame9e

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Bbm vs droid

Hey personally I like KiK messenger. I was also stuck with a blackberry for a long time but man the g2 is worth it. I just ordered a bigger battery due my job not allowing me to get around an outlet much. At any rate, I found that KiK was the closest to BBM but I'm sure there are other apps too. Hope it helps.:cool:

kingston73

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
After having it a few weeks now there is nothing I miss about my BB, except the nostalgia. I had that phone for 2 1/2 years and it was great, but everything gets old eventually. Thank you very much for the WhatsApp recommend, I made my wife a convert and we're both loving it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699