GB OTA problems and issues tracker

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
With the update rolling out from T-Mobile I thought it would be appropriate to have an issue/problem tracking thread.

If you have the OTA from T-Mobile (not the leak from LG) post any problems you're having here.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Issue #1: LG camera app missing in the Gingerbread update.

Solution: Dev's have ported it to Gingerbread. It still has some quirks, though, but they are working hard to get it perfect.

Issue #2: Some people are still seeing the authentication error when trying to update.

Possible Solution: Uninstall and reinstall the LG update software. May not fix the issue.

Issue #3: Refurbished units are not able to update.

No known solution.

Also, the LG "leak" and the T-Mobile release are the same, I just didn't want to create this thread until it came from T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The LG camera app is missing in Gingerbread. I hope that LG is still working on it and will release it as soon as it's ready.

In the mean time it's been ported on XDA, but is a little quirky still. Would love to have this from LG directly.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The "authentication error" when checking for updates is still there even though TMO guaranteed it would be fixed with GB. Guess they meant ice cream sandwich....

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
With the update rolling out from T-Mobile I thought it would be appropriate to have an issue/problem tracking thread.

If you have the OTA from T-Mobile (not the leak from LG) post any problems you're having here.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Wait......the LG leak is not the same as the OTA update? Then what is going to happen to those like myself who have a device that can't connect with the server due to an 'authentication error'? We will never be able to get official updates from TMO because of this issue?

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The LG leak and the T-Mobile OTA release are the same according to everything I've heard. You may or may not be able to get the update via LG or T-Mobile. Some can, and some can't. Not much rhyme or reason to it that I can see.

My son's phone gets an authentication failure for the OTA update, and his is stock, unrooted and not a refurb. Many had major issues with the LGUpdater software (it took me several retries and about 30 minutes for a complete download) and ended up with bricked phones.

turboknee

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I tried to update my replacement (refurb?) unrooted G2x using the stock updater and no good (gives auth error). I tried using the pc lg mobile updater and it says i already have latest version. I haven't noticed any posts about this issue as if everyone who's tried to use the mobile updater works. Any ideas?

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
OP updated. I've haven't heard of anyone getting a bricked phone because of the LG Updater software. Do you have a link?

Numerous threads at xda about it. Not sure the phones were permanently bricked, but apparently beyond some of the individuals abilities. I'll see if I can dig up some specific links for you tho.

Wondering why you aren't getting OTA? - xda-developers
How to unbrick your G2x from GB update through LG - xda-developers
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193505

As many tries as I had to make to get a complete download, I was beginning to think I was going to be a victim, but I stuck it out and was able to finish. I did switch to the LG data cable I got with the phone, instead of the Belkin generic cable that I usually use (it's 6 ft long), and had success after that. I don't think that was the actual cure in my case, but you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin OQuinn

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried to update my replacement (refurb?) unrooted G2x using the stock updater and no good (gives auth error). I tried using the pc lg mobile updater and it says i already have latest version. I haven't noticed any posts about this issue as if everyone who's tried to use the mobile updater works. Any ideas?

Yup, that's a known issue. Refurbs don't work with the updater for the most part. I've heard it's part of T-Mobile's record keeping that's at fault for this issue.

wstdonwiteout

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried updating my phone using the LG updater several times. Every time the phone keeps telling me that I already have latest version installed when I know for a fact that im still running 2.2 Anyone else having this issue?

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried updating my phone using the LG updater several times. Every time the phone keeps telling me that I already have latest version installed when I know for a fact that im still running 2.2 Anyone else having this issue?

Unistall the LG updater from your comp and the download that contains it. Re-DOWNLOAD and reinstall the program. That did the trick for two buddies of mine. Make sure though you unistall and delete the download. Then redownload the program and install. That should do the trick.

Krissy222

May 28, 2011
Visit site
OP updated. I've haven't heard of anyone getting a bricked phone because of the LG Updater software. Do you have a link?
Not sure if it helps the discussion but I have now had 3 phones bricked by the LG updater tool. Fortunately T-mo backed them up. Now have my fourth phone and will NOT use the update tool again.

mitch10

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My G2X was bricked by the updated tool; it stalled mid-update and would only reboot to the same page. T-Mobile replaced it and the new phone is working great on Froyo so I"m hesitant to even try the OTA update at this point. Not that I have a choice since I keep getting "Connection failed" every time I try checking for software update on the phone.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've started getting the connection failed as well...it was working fine when I first started checking for the update (when I heard that T-Mobile was releasing it OTA, but about a week ago I started getting that message too...restarts/power cycling hasn't helped at all.

mitch10

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just checked again this morning, Aug 14 and got the 'Current version is the latest version' even though I'm still on Froyo 2.2.2. It looks to me that T-Mobile has pulled the update for one reason or another.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the OTA is no longer being pushed out because people were having problems so now the only option is the LG updater.

Chicho1970

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The "authentication error" when checking for updates is still there even though TMO guaranteed it would be fixed with GB. Guess they meant ice cream sandwich....
Used the lg update tool on my refurbished g2x. The installation completed fine but I can't make phone calls an have no data service I'm going to try getting a new sim card tomorrow hopefully that fixes the problem. I doubt it though because I have a question mark on the battery in notification bar, and in settings says I have 999% of battery. Maybe I can get a new g2x with out the backlight issue :)

Just got my new G2x replacement came with gingerbread and no backlight issue (08/22/2011)

Last edited:

mitch10

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I ended up having to order a replacement from T-Mobile due to a malfunction. Despite the old handset saying Froyo was the current version, the new handset arrived with Gingerbread installed. :) So far, it's working very nicely; no reboot issues and batter life looks to be improved. So why aren't all G2x getting the update?

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
A lot of the second and third replacement phones can't due to a paperwork snafu on T-Mobile's part. And T-Mobile pulled the OTA update. As far as I know, the only avenue available to update and get the new baseband is thru the LG Updater.

Otherwise, cwm has to be flashed with NVflash, and then you can flash any rom you want. You'll still have the original baseband tho.

kd7akv

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my ota update to gb used it for two days. The phone locked up last night wouldn't turn off or anything so I pulled the battery out and rebooted when it booted up all my paid fo apps were gone all my settings everything. Sure hope I don't have to pay for documents to go again I only had it for
about a week

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38