Google Maps Navigation Stuck Searching for GPS...

yacoub

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Same issue that's been reported with tons of other Android-based smartphones. Nice to see it's still present here too :(

Just updated to the latest Google Maps app to see if that would help. No dice.

Sigh... for a company so invested in testing and updates, you'd think after over a year of this problem being reported they would have fixed it by now. Blah.

yacoub

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, #3 worked to show me that my GPS can get a lock just fine and i cleared the aGPS data.
However as soon as I went back to Google Maps it went right back to being GPS blind and couldn't get a lock or something. Garbage.
Also, I've noticed every time I attempt to use Google Maps Navigation, it puts my System volume to max and does not reset it to where I had it when I exit the app, which is annoying.

DanoNH

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought maybe someone could benefit from this info:

Had the same issue here with my 11-day-old Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. Lo and behold, I also had recently enabled encryption. Hmmm. Google Maps showed my location as across the street from me, but nav was showing I am 6-7 miles away from where I really am and the position never tracked or changeed. At the bottom of the Telenav window appeared the words "WEAK GPS"...

I had been digging around on this for a few days with no results, and I uninstalled many apps for troubleshooting. The GPS icon that used to appear in my status bar when GPS was active was GONE.

I did encrypt my phone about a week after I started using it... so I thought I might try decrypting it to see what that did.

After decrypting my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, and my 32GB miniSDHC card (which got wiped in the process), I still had the GPS not tracking issue. I uninstalled apps that I thought could be responsible to no avail.

Then I found a setting under Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Credential Storage called "Use secure credentials". Once I checked this and entered my password, I tried the GPS again and IT WORKED!!!

I remember creating a password for this and setting it when I got the phone almost 2 weeks ago...

The most important piece of this puzzle is that your GPS location is a privacy concern, yet you have to authorize apps to use it like GPS, Google Maps, etc. to get valid location data. I may have seen a prompt along the way to allow all apps access to my location, to which I think I denied this, effectively shooting myself in the foot.

After being without GPS for a long time, having it back is AWESOME! I also got a cool app for free that gives you some really good GPS signal troubleshooting data and tools in the Android App Market called GPS Status.

Hope this helps out some other folks with the same issue... Dan

t.han

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought maybe someone could benefit from this info:

Had the same issue here with my 11-day-old Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. Lo and behold, I also had recently enabled encryption. Hmmm. Google Maps showed my location as across the street from me, but nav was showing I am 6-7 miles away from where I really am and the position never tracked or changeed. At the bottom of the Telenav window appeared the words "WEAK GPS"...

I had been digging around on this for a few days with no results, and I uninstalled many apps for troubleshooting. The GPS icon that used to appear in my status bar when GPS was active was GONE.

I did encrypt my phone about a week after I started using it... so I thought I might try decrypting it to see what that did.

After decrypting my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, and my 32GB miniSDHC card (which got wiped in the process), I still had the GPS not tracking issue. I uninstalled apps that I thought could be responsible to no avail.

Then I found a setting under Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Credential Storage called "Use secure credentials". Once I checked this and entered my password, I tried the GPS again and IT WORKED!!!

I remember creating a password for this and setting it when I got the phone almost 2 weeks ago...

The most important piece of this puzzle is that your GPS location is a privacy concern, yet you have to authorize apps to use it like GPS, Google Maps, etc. to get valid location data. I may have seen a prompt along the way to allow all apps access to my location, to which I think I denied this, effectively shooting myself in the foot.

After being without GPS for a long time, having it back is AWESOME! I also got a cool app for free that gives you some really good GPS signal troubleshooting data and tools in the Android App Market called GPS Status.

Hope this helps out some other folks with the same issue... Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for providing this info. I have the EXACT same problem as you did. Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch. Worked perfectly for a month, suddenly the Google Navigation is always stuck on searching GPS, while the TeleNav by Sprint works perfectly. I tried every solution I could find online (GPS Status clearing GPS and everything). No luck.

I did not encrypt my phone. This all happened out of nowhere. And I tried your solution, still not working :(

I am glad that someone else was experiencing the exact same thing, so this is not a singular problem. It's good that your way worked! I hope you haven't had any problems since. I will keep trying different solutions.

Thanks!

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I now have the G 4G on T-mobile after have 6 replacements with the Samsung Vibrant for the same issue. Its sad that this phone did not as far to fix those issues and I'm not exactly sure why. As you can imagine, I've talked to every technical "expert" at Tmo and Samsung and boy they all have the same reaction, "really gps is not working" and "oh, I have no problem with bluetooth". seriously people. Had this phone for 3 weeks not and here are my problems:

1. Performance - Phone is very choppy to navigating screens. Once apps are loaded to the device this issue is more exaggerated.
2. For what ever reason, this phone, as did the vibrant, is constantly vibrating. I have no idea of what its doing.
3. Bluetooth - My primary concern since I live in a hands free state - is bad and that's putting it mildly. I've gone through 4 headsets (motorolla, plantronics, even one from samsung recommended and t-mobile store one) Bluetooth will connect when phone is reset to factory - but after first phone call hang up, will not connect. Does say it's paird (same exact problem I had with the Vibrant). Sometimes after about 10 or more times turning off and on of BT, it will finally connect. What a pain.
4. Freezing - the Vibrant did not even have this problem. From the first day, this phone not only has been choppy in performance, but when I've got the phone in a dock (home or car), the darn thing freezes. Now, funny thing is, if i wait for 30 minutes (Yes that's right 30 minutes or more) it will respond and it's doing a crap load of vibrating the whole time. I just pull the battery instead.

I understand that those that have loaded one of the other ROMs seem to be happy as many of these issues may have been fixed or have some form of work-around. I can't afford to do that, this is business and personal and I must have a phone that stays in warranty. So, I will continue to hound Tmo and Samsung, probably go through another 5 or 6 of these at $20 replacement fee and get the next model to see if these issues are fixed and I finally get a phone that does what they advertise.

Yes its lovely and all that with the 4 inch screen, but functionally and performance wise in it's OEM form, its a piece of crap as was its predecessor. So don't jump on me for wanting the OEM/carrier to stand behind their products and deliver on their false advertisement. Instead of saying its a smart phone, they should say, use at your own risk.

Just venting!!:cool:

ritz266

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
For the past 2 months I have been struggling with the same issue - After I upgraded to Froyo - Google Maps detects my location, but navigation keeps looping in "Searching for GPS" .. after months of frustration I finally decided to reset my phone - Power off the phone and power it back on with the volume keys pressed. Choose delete user data and clear cache. Reboot the phone. Once the phone is rebooted - it takes you back to the same screen to when you would have 1st upgraded to Froyo. A screen comes up to accept google's location (dont remember what the screen said exactly) but make sure you hit "Accept" or Yes there. and then navigation starts working. I guess users who did not do that including me had this GPS issue. And for those who had accepted that message right after the upgrade did not have the GPS issue. So finally after months of research this finally worked. I hope this helps..

-Ritesh

JTfascinated

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Mapquest works/Google Maps Navigation Stuck Searching for GPS...

I realize this is OLD an over-talked about subject, but like all the others, my Fascinate gets stuck on "searching for GPS". Spent countless hours thumbing through forums (here and other places like Google). Tried many of the steps; none successfully. Some said turn-by-turn won't work on Fascinate, some say it will. Some say it has issues with GPS, etc. Some say get GPS Status or GPS Fix...yadda.

Today I decided that enough was enough of this experimenting with the Google Navigation, and it was time to see if the issue was related to my phone or the Google Nav app. Tried another Nav App only to see if it worked. Guess what.. it worked (Sygic). Uninstalled it because I didn't like it, but it helped me deduce where the problem lies. Tried the MapQuest app. Guess what: It works perfectly, with the turn-by-turn. Guess what I deduced? Yeah, the phone GPS works fine. The Google App, well , she's a bad one for my phone. Interesting point that my bro has a Droid X and installed the update to Google Maps and his Nav works fine.

Sorry Google but I've invested enough of my time on your software for now. When it gets fixed I'll come back, because I really dig the features. But for now I need a GPS to help me find where I'm going -- not one that makes me spend my time finding answers just to make it work....

JT
Rooted Fascinate
Verizon Chokeware removed!

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I started having this problem after installing a custom ROM on my Sprint Optimus S. Since the flashing process upgraded the device from Froyo to Gingerbread, I don't know if the problem is due to a Gingerbread issue on my device, or if it's just related to the custom ROM.

Unfortunately when I go to my settings, Use Secure Credentials is disabled.

lvrdad45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The solution I found to the problem is very simple to do . go into your settings-applications-manage applications and go to maps, click on clear data and also uninstall updates, reboot the phone and navigation should work again. Download your map update and navigation still works.

Reactions: atwindtm

atwindtm

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
The solution I found to the problem is very simple to do . go into your settings-applications-manage applications and go to maps, click on clear data and also uninstall updates, reboot the phone and navigation should work again. Download your map update and navigation still works.

3/4/12 - Thank you #10!! This solution WORKED for me! :D Once I rebooted & tried to use Maps, it does then give a warning that you are using Maps in the Beta version, but at least it works! (I have Verizon, Droid3.)

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Thanks for providing this info. I have the EXACT same problem as you did. Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch. Worked perfectly for a month, suddenly the Google Navigation is always stuck on searching GPS, while the TeleNav by Sprint works perfectly. I tried every solution I could find online (GPS Status clearing GPS and everything). No luck.

I did not encrypt my phone. This all happened out of nowhere. And I tried your solution, still not working :(

I am glad that someone else was experiencing the exact same thing, so this is not a singular problem. It's good that your way worked! I hope you haven't had any problems since. I will keep trying different solutions.

Thanks!

By any chance did you accept an OTA update to Gingerbread just before it stopped working?

Sprint's app costs money I'll bet. Is this a back office conspiracy to force people to subscribe to a paid service? Though admittedly I haven't tried all the possible fixes here.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
lvrdad45 said:
3/4/12 - Thank you #10!! This solution WORKED for me! :D Once I rebooted & tried to use Maps, it does then give a warning that you are using Maps in the Beta version, but at least it works! (I have Verizon, Droid3.)

Can either of you explain where/how you "uninstall updates"? I don't see any option to do that on my Sprint Optimus S.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Mapquest works/Google Maps Navigation Stuck Searching for GPS

The Google App, well , she's a bad one for my phone.

Rather ironic, that. It'd be rather like MS Visio not working on certain current PC models, even if Android is free and open making a close comparison unfair.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
DanoNH said:
I started having this problem after installing a custom ROM on my Sprint Optimus S. Since the flashing process upgraded the device from Froyo to Gingerbread, I don't know if the problem is due to a Gingerbread issue on my device, or if it's just related to the custom ROM.

Unfortunately when I go to my settings, Use Secure Credentials is disabled.

ETA: I don't recall why I was having this side issue with the Secure Credentials setting, but just now I was able to enable it. It didn't fix the problem though.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread or not, but for those who have flashed a custom ROM, and in the process changed the Android version from Froyo to Gingerbread, this GPS issue may well be a problem with Gingerbread on our specific devices. Briefly Googling shows that many people are having this issue with non-rooted devices that have been upgraded OTA to Gingerbread. It sure doesn't surprise me after what I've been through with Sprint's botched Gingerbread update. I should never have flashed to CM7, and I wouldn't have if I'd read the thread more carefully and noted that it would embody the Gingerbread upgrade. This is no reflection on the author of CM7 at all; it's not his fault if there's a glaring communication gap between Google and some of the device manufacturers and service providers.

Having the navigation functionality was a major reason why I chose Android, dammit!

I'm just about at the point of doing a factory reset, because I don't have time for this.

ETA: Just in case anyone was keeping score, I did revert my phone to Sprint's stock OS and subsequently re-root. I haven't yet flashed a ROM, but what I have found is that reverting did not fix my Google Navigation issue. I'm starting to wonder if there's some service or application that needs to be running in order for Navigation to work. Like most people, I did freeze or uninstall a few things after I rooted. But still, I don't see how that should have been a problem before I did the root.

Last edited:

sallyhoe2001

May 15, 2012
Visit site
DanoNH's solution worked great for me... what struck me as very odd was that Goggle Navigator would work consistently the very first time, and not again until I rebooted the phone.

But after enabling secure credentials and setting a password it works every time... what ever that's about I have no clue but fixed my problem.

Thanks DanoNH!

Edw6268

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I did what the previous poster suggested and it seems to be working normally now! Very happy :)

I've tried everything mentioned in this forum and still no luck. I have a Motorola Droid X and my navigation was working fine until last week. Now it's stuck on "searching for GPS"
I've sleared the data, uninstalled, rebooted, installed....even entered a password in user security as mentioned in another post. I do a lot of traveling and really depend on my Navigation app. I would greatly appreciate some help. Any more suggestions? Thanks!

jspehar

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Edw6268, I have a Droid X too and have tried everything. No luck for the last 3 weeks :-(

---------- Post Merged at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:23 PM ----------

JT, ever find a fix? Ironically, I have the Droid X that you say works for your brother, and I haven't been able to fix this issue for at least 3 weeks now :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty