problem with galaxy s3, keeps shutting off

Refik Vranjkovina

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi so i had my galaxy s3 for about a year now. Recently it started acting really weird. First it wont turn on. It will get to the Samsung galaxy s3 logo and then shut off again. After like 100 times of trying it will turn on randomly once in a while and everything would be fine and would work until i press the side button to lock the screen, as soon as i press it, then phone turns off again, and i have to try to turn it on again.( sometimes it turns on like the 1st attempt other times i have to literately try 100 times). My battery has also been draining really quickly lately. I did the factory reset about 4 times, but no luck at all. I also tried using my friends battery from his s3 but the same thing was happening, so i don't think it's the battery. Another thing, i am doing a internship for the summer in turkey. this is happening as we speak over here, could it be something to do with the different voltage? Unfortunately i wont be back in the u.s. for another 2 months so i can't really test how it will respond back in the u.s.

lhweb

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem with my son's S2. A factory reset solved the problem. :-(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Hewe Wongx3_DERP

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
If you can reply, Reply.So have you ever had putting it in water? That might be the case it won't turn on for 100 times.Charge it, Like you mentioned that it drains quickly.Charge it and see of it turns on.If none of those above works, Take it to a trusted T-mobile store and see what they say.If they can't find the problem and fix it for you, You will need a new phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Refik Vranjkovina

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
update: It started working perfectly again, the battery is not draining drastically, and it is not turning off. I think it was something to do with the different voltages. I Started charging it off of my laptop now. I'm not sure what fixed the problem tho.

powerwagon79

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
shut down all your apps..they really drain your batterys down..I charge my phone every other day..thats with the factory 2100mha battery in it.....Id only had my phone for amonth and it shut off on my 4 time..dont know why..??

mcardia

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my galaxy note (GT-N7000).
Sometimes the screen goes off. Everything else works (touch, sounds).
I replaced the battery, and it worked for a few days. Now it?s happening again.
I have hard reset many times. Didn?t solved. I use stock ROM.
I don?t believe it?s an app because the screen does not torun on even at boot, before any app is loaded.
Or is hardware or is android problem.

Anyone had luck in solve this problem?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I had this problem, and it ended up being the SD card. With no card, or an older 16GB card, it was fine, but when I put in a 64GB card (formatted as FAT 32), it would randomly shut down. Reformatting the card eventually solved the problem.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the samsung gslaxy s3 I've had four replacements for the same problem thru verizon . I ask verizon to send me a new phone but they keep sending me the same crappy phones. I charge all my phobes with the charger verizon sent me and keep them stored in otter box defender. The S3 is worthless and I wish I had a windows phone or a note3

8lackd0g

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Some of the S3's have a defective component on the motherboard. A firmware update fixes the issue. If you have been dealing with the problem for a while, your phone is probably past the point of the firmware update fixing the issue. I have an S4. My daughter has an S3. She waited a week before showing me the power down issue. I reset the phone & it worked better for a few hours then it started shutting down again. I rooted the phone & updated to Cyanogenmod 10.1. It didn't fix the problem either. I called Samsung & told them about the issue. They had me send the S3 to be repaired. It was free shiping both ways & it took about 5 business days for the repair. If you are dealing with this issue.. & you know it's not a battery problem, call Samsung. They didn't care about the phone being rooted. It was still under warranty so they fixed it with 0 questions asked. My daughter's carrier is T-Mobile. I didn't bother calling them.

Androidologizt

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem. It appears to be related to any number of issues. However, in my case it was a faulty battery.

The reason I know this is because I always keep a spare battery charged and ready to go. When I changed the battery the phone started having shut down issues. If you reset or just pulled the battery out and put it back in the phone would work fine. However, the phone seemed to be getting feedback from the battery that the battery was uncharged. If I plugged the phone in the battery registered with no charge. Again if I re-inserted the battery it rectified the problem momentarily.

My other battery did not have any of these issued and worked flawlessly. I would start by buying a new battery to address this issue. As in the case with laptop batteries, cell phone batteries also do not last forever and need to be replaced. S III batteries are available at a reasonable price on Amazon. Good Luck.

dmarq215

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 is also continuously turning on and off. It began after it was on about 15% battery, but right as soon as I got to a wall with an outlet I began to charge it. About 30 mins later I returned to see if my phone was charged enough to use but it was off, I found this strange so I went to another outlet thinking that maybe the wall's circuitry wasn't working correctly. This is where it continued to turn on and off. At one point I was able to keep it on for about 15 mins, however when I locked the screen for about the third time the "on/off" process began again. IDK what to do, or how to do it, I am also afraid that if I were to do the factory restart that there would be no way to get all my files (photos, songs, etc.) back. Can someone help me out?

IHaveNiamFeels

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
my phone was doing the same thing every time I plugged it into the charger, otherwise it is fine, recently I got my phone screen replaced due to it being problem, but my phone hasn't been right since, I am trying to hold out until I can update to the s4 next year, But now I am to scared to plug it into the charger because each time I do it shuts off and flashes the samsung boot page over and over again, but as soon as I take it off charge and try and turn it on it is fine. I need my phone for school purposes, and now I cannot charge it.

Nycutie85

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
i have my galaxy s3 for almost 2 yrs. all a sudden it starts shutting off randomly on its own esp while its charging. it doesnt restart,it just shuts off. its also freezing and when it stops freezing my backround home screen turns black for 2 secs n goes back to my wallpaper i set on it. i took it to my service store and they said updated some software and gave me a new battery. they said if it keeps happening ro bring it back. i wanna know y it keeps shutting off. i tried factory resetting it and it still shut off. is this a hardware problem?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
they said if it keeps happening ro bring it back...is this a hardware problem?
It sure sounds like a hardware problem - time to take it back as they suggested.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Karandeep Matharoo

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have an S3 and for some reason the phone doesn't turn on it keeps flashing 'Samsung Galaxy s3 GT-I9300' and from here it doesn't go to the home screen. I've tried to reset to factory settings and the android symbol comes up but it disappears straight away. It goes back to flashing 'Samsung Galaxy s3 GT-I9300', has this happened to anyone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Karandeep,
I won't say that yours is a common problem, but there are others that have had the same problem. You could certainly take the phone to your local carrier store or Samsung Repair Centre (if there's one around) to see if they can repair/replace it for you.

You could try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache. If that doesn't work, also in Recovery mode you can perform a Factory Reset (that'll wipe out any data on the phone). If that doesn't help then your only other option would be to try reloading the firmware. Unfortunately, for people that have tried this, the success rate is minimal.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

crowthersi

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been doing this for two weeks now. I have just called Samsung Customer service (MOBILE/SMARTPHONE SUPPORT 0845 MSAMSUNG (6726786)) who have informed me that there is a worldwide issue with the Galaxy S3 experiencing these symptoms due to a problem with the latest Android software. Samsung are working on a fix which will be ready in the next couple of days. Until the patch is ready there is nothing that can be done.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been doing this for two weeks now.
Did you accept the update to 4.3 two weeks ago?
I don't remember this being one of the symptoms reported with the 4.3 update; perhaps I just missed it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch