S3 touch screen not working

dumpstermax

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Have been using my S3 rooted with AOKP for 9 months now. I recently cracked the glass, so I ordered a replacement front assembly (glass, digitizer, lcd and chassis). Today I removed the motherboard and components, and moved them into the new chassis. The screen looks beautiful, but I the touch screen isn't working. No other threads on here seem to have the same problem that I'm having, so I figured I'd make a new thread.

I opened everything back up and double checked that I did everything properly, and it all looks good to me (I'm fairly technically inclined).

Did I just receive a defective front assembly, or is there another problem here? The one thing that makes me think it isn't defective is that the option and back "buttons" on the bottom light up and pressing back seems to work.

I tried reinstalling AOKP and cyanogen, but no luck, so my next step is factory reset, but I have a feeling that won't work either.

Anyone have a similar experience?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did I just receive a defective front assembly
That's what it sounds like. If you reconnect your original defective chassis and the touch screen works, and then you connect the new one and it doesn't, then that eliminates the motherboard and the installer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

noexit23

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got a very similar problem with a Galaxy S3: The digitizer (touch screen) just stopped working for no apparent reason. No shock to the system, water damage or anything. And, very interestingly, after doing a Factory Reset, the Back button and Menu Option buttons at the bottom seem to work as they return a Vibrate Response when pressed. However, I cannot proceed through the Factory Reset Setup as the Touch Screen does not respond to any input within the screen area. Is there a separate "digitizer" for those 2 buttons at the bottom: the Back and Menu Option buttons?

Any help and guidance is sincerely appreciated.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I cannot proceed through the Factory Reset Setup as the Touch Screen does not respond to any input within the screen area.
If you want to perform a Factory Reset without having to use the touch screen, you can boot into Recovery mode and do it there - you'll use the Volume rocker to navigate and the Power button to select.

I don't think that's going to fix your problem though, so you may as well save yourself the grief.

If you were thinking that it might be some app that you installed causing the problem, you could try booting into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242
Is there a separate "digitizer" for those 2 buttons at the bottom: the Back and Menu Option buttons?
Those are capacitive buttons, and are completely independent of the touch screen.

It sounds like the digitizer bit the dust, so unless you have insurance (and maybe even if you do) your best bet is to replace the screen assembly. Here are a couple of sources:

http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87