Question about rooted/WARRANTY???

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So I have a HTC amaze rooted and running a custom rom called quick sense 3.0. I did not root the phone but I traded my gs2 for the rooted amaze. Myamaze randomly shut off on me and won't boot up past the HTC logo. My question is if I call t mobile and get a replacement through warranty will they know it was rooted and had a custom rom on it? Cause I know it voids the warranty when u root it..and I don't want to be charged for the phone lol...someone please let me know!!! :) thanks.

Sent from my HTC One S

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh yea another thing, took it to a local phone store that can root and put custom roms and they could not get it fixed at all.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Since this is a software related issue they will most likely not help you at all. You might still have a warranty through HTC that would cover hardware defects as long as the software you put on there didnt cause it.

Can you still boot into recovery or hboot? If you can get into recovery I would do a wipe and try flashing a new ROM (turn on the phone and hold down the power and Vol down buttons). If you can get into hboot you can try flashing a stock RUU to at least get the phone working again. Yes it will take away your root but you can get it back.

This page lists the stock RUU's, I would recommend 1.43 RUU as the newer ones are testing builds of ICS. BTW Ruby is the development name for the Amaze if you didnt already know.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Since this is a software related issue they will most likely not help you at all. You might still have a warranty through HTC that would cover hardware defects as long as the software you put on there didnt cause it.

Can you still boot into recovery or hboot? If you can get into recovery I would do a wipe and try flashing a new ROM (turn on the phone and hold down the power and Vol down buttons). If you can get into hboot you can try flashing a stock RUU to at least get the phone working again. Yes it will take away your root but you can get it back.

This page lists the stock RUU's, I would recommend 1.43 RUU as the newer ones are testing builds of ICS. BTW Ruby is the development name for the Amaze if you didnt already know.

As stated before the phone store tried to upload a stock rom and it just wouldn't work. Power button and volume buttons don't make anything happen. And they have always replaced my phones when I had a software issue I ddont see why they wouldnt now. I can just say the phone over heated and turned off, I have the 7.99 a month insurance so they should replace it my only worry is if they will find out it had been rooted and had a custom Rom running?

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I understood what you were saying and told you that they probably wont fix or replace your phone since the ROM bricked it. You could look into this to see if it would help...

[Finally Here!] HTC Unbricking Project - xda-developers

As stated before I took it to my local phone store and they tried unbricking it and loading a different Rom but nothing would work. And all t mobile would do is send me out s replacement I don't want them to fix it lol...just replace it so I can sell it

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As stated before I took it to my local phone store and they tried unbricking it and loading a different Rom but nothing would work. And all t mobile would do is send me out s replacement I don't want them to fix it lol...just replace it so I can sell it

Yes but to replace it the warranty would have to be valid. You could contact T-Mobile and see if they will replace it but like I said I doubt they will if the phone wont even boot up.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes but to replace it the warranty would have to be valid. You could contact T-Mobile and see if they will replace it but like I said I doubt they will if the phone wont even boot up.

Yea I would just tell them its all stock and the completely crashed, when they replace a phone you get the replacement first than you ship yours back...

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

My warrenty is valid for the rest of the time I'm with t mobile that's why I pay 7.99 so they can and will replace the phone when I need just like I have 5 times in a row before with a different phone

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea I would just tell them its all stock and the completely crashed, when they replace a phone you get the replacement first than you ship yours back...

It may not fully boot but if you can see the HTC logo screen then they can see the hboot screen which will show that the bootloader has been unlocked (required for rooting) and even if it has been relocked it will say just that. So even if you send in your phone and they give you a new one they may charge you for the new one when they discover that the old one was rooted. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Reactions: ChromeJob

rushlmp

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Your warranty is no longer valid because you rooted the phone. Your insurance is useless now. I wouldn't attempt to send it back. My bet would be they will easily figure out the phone is rooted, and add a hefty amount to your bill for the replacement phone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Android Central Forums

Reactions: ChromeJob

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're asking if they will find out the phone was rooted and re-flashed after you return it. Of course they will. They're not going to give you a free new one out of laziness. Since you claim that some phone store was doing something to it, you might claim that they bricked it, not you. But I think T-Mo will likely bill your account for the replacement all the same, if the phone store that worked on it was not affiliated with T-Mobile.

These are the risks you take when you root and reflash a phone under contract. Don't buy that warranty extension and insurance if you're going mess with the phone, that should be common sense. And perhaps not do this to your next handset, it doesn't seem to be working for you. ;) Just a suggestion, take it or leave it.

// Sent from my Interociter //

Last edited:

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're asking if they will find out what you did to the phone after you return it. Of course they will. They're not going to give you a free new one out of laziness. Since you claim that some phone store was doing something to it, you might claim that they bricked it, not you. But I think T-Mo will likely bill your account for the replacement all the same.

These are the risks you take when you root and reflash a phone under contract. Don't buy that warranty extension and insurance if you're going mess with the phone, that should be common sense. And perhaps not do this to your next handset, it doesn't seem to be working for you. ;) Just a suggestion, take it or leave it.

// Sent from my Interociter //

First off I got the phone rooted with a custom Rom on it...it ran fine and RANDOMLY SHUT OFF after having it for almost a month. Second, I bought a brand new phone the next day money is not a issue ive had about 6 phones this year alone... Third off I like to have insurance and warrenty cause I never root my phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think I understand. You bought this handset already rooted with a custom ROM on it ... presumably not from T-Mobile but some third party store,... and you want to know if T-Mobile will replace it under the carrier warranty, though you technically did not get the phone from the carrier. Do I have this right? Not only will they probably charge you for the replacement, but they could go after you for fraud. Probably not worth their while, but you could get lucky and get the attention of a grouchy corporate type.

Seems that the store that sold it to you should be giving you warranty/return service, not the carrier.

I appreciate you may not like these answers you're getting, but you did ask.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think I understand. You bought this handset already rooted with a custom ROM on it ... presumably not from T-Mobile but some third party store,... and you want to know if T-Mobile will replace it under the carrier warranty, though you technically did not get the phone from the carrier. Do I have this right? Not only will they probably charge you for the replacement, but they could go after you for fraud. Probably not worth their while, but you could get lucky and get the attention of a grouchy corporate type.

Seems that the store that sold it to you should be giving you warranty/return service, not the carrier.

I appreciate you may not like these answers you're getting, but you did ask.

Never bought it from the store, I traded my gs2 for the HTC amaze. & it doesnt matter if it came from the store or not aslong as its a t mobile phone
the 7.99 a month insurance covers it. It always has for me cause I like to trade phones sometimes..and if I ever had a issue they replaced it for me..t mobile branded phones will always be replaced no matter if its from the store or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87