1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working

Hi,

Having encountered the "People" app dying with "android.process.acore stopped" with the Sensation, and had no luck with the interwebz finding a solution to my particular version of this problem, I thought I'd post my eventual solution here, in case it helps anyone in the future.

So, the short version is, that I'd recently deactivated my facebook account, and that in some way caused "People" to crash, when I started it. I found (after hours and hours of repeatedly seeing this problem), that only when I reactivated facebook did the problem with people go away. My guess is that it wasn't doing a good job of handling all the facebook links in the vcard/contact metadata, when facebook was deactivated. Note also, I'm pretty sure that this is the problem, because when I deactivated facebook again later, the problem came back.

Anyway, if you encountered the android.process.acore problem, and you recently deactivated your facebook account, this could be why.

Possible solutions:-

1) Well, reactivate facebook, obviously
    2) Use a different contact manager (e.g. Contacts+ which in my case didn't crash)
    3) You could probably try manually hacking the facebook data out of an export/backup and then re-importing it, but I didn't try this myself, so do so at your own risk.
    4) I guess actually, you can remove the facebook links through the People UI, so maybe re-activate facebook, unlink facebook linked contacts, then deactivate facebook again - but I didn't try this either.

Global Posts
    13,923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
    Hi,

Having encountered the "People" app dying with "android.process.acore stopped" with the Sensation, and had no luck with the interwebz finding a solution to my particular version of this problem, I thought I'd post my eventual solution here, in case it helps anyone in the future.

So, the short version is, that I'd recently deactivated my facebook account, and that in some way caused "People" to crash, when I started it. I found (after hours and hours of repeatedly seeing this problem), that only when I reactivated facebook did the problem with people go away. My guess is that it wasn't doing a good job of handling all the facebook links in the vcard/contact metadata, when facebook was deactivated. Note also, I'm pretty sure that this is the problem, because when I deactivated facebook again later, the problem came back.

Anyway, if you encountered the android.process.acore problem, and you recently deactivated your facebook account, this could be why.

Possible solutions:-

1) Well, reactivate facebook, obviously
    2) Use a different contact manager (e.g. Contacts+ which in my case didn't crash)
    3) You could probably try manually hacking the facebook data out of an export/backup and then re-importing it, but I didn't try this myself, so do so at your own risk.
    4) I guess actually, you can remove the facebook links through the People UI, so maybe re-activate facebook, unlink facebook linked contacts, then deactivate facebook again - but I didn't try this either.
    Interesting solution. Thanks for sharing. It seems strange that Facebook would be so ingrained in that OS version that turning the app off would cause problems.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

(Another solution!)
    --------------------------
    The problem:
    Your Android device (tablet, phone, Android TV) gives you the following message.

“The process android.process.acore has stopped working.”

The solution:
    Settings –> Applications –> Manage Applications –> All (button on the top that lets you see all applications) –> scroll down to “Contacts Storage” –> Click on “Clear Data”.

This worked on my Android TV and I have seen reports of it working on other Android devices.

DISCLAIMER!!!
    I do not have any contacts stored on my Android TV, so this solution did not cause any problems with my device. If you are using a contacts list on your device, I cannot say whether this will cause problems with your list of contacts. If you think it might, please look for another solution. (If anyone is brave enough to try it anyway, please let me know!)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks you for using ANdriod !_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Interesting solution. Thanks for sharing. It seems strange that Facebook would be so ingrained in that OS version that turning the app off would cause problems.
    I think it's probably a bug in the "people" app, which is ungracefully handling an unexpected reply from some call it is making to get data from facebook. Perhaps a null value not handled correctly ... but obviously that's just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kiddo View Post
    (Another solution!)
    The solution:
    Settings –> Applications –> Manage Applications –> All (button on the top that lets you see all applications) –> scroll down to “Contacts Storage” –> Click on “Clear Data”.
    I tried this several times*, but it didn't work for me. Every time I restored my contacts, the problem returned. Again, speculation, but the facebook linkage was restored (at least there was data mentioning facebook in the vcf file), so I guess it started making the same calls to the facebook api, and having the same trouble.
    * actually, I tried "People" not "Contacts Storage" from the app list, but upon doing so, I could get back into the "People" app, and the list was empty.... the bug returned when I restored contacts.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I just tried emptying contacts storage data (and people again), and it seems to have worked ... contacts were re-imported from google. I'm guessing it stops crashing, because google doesn't have the fb linkage data. ... Hmm, just checked, and it does have it actually ... maybe it just didn't import it?

My problem previously is that my contacts weren't backed up so I didn't want to risk them by clearing data .... after much fiddling, and eventually using the "backup contacts" app on from the play store, I got my contacts into google.

To clarify, ISTM that the "people data" can be cleared, and then restored from contacts (it prompted me to select, when the next time I went into "people"), but "contacts data" once gone is gone.

Anyway, this seems to be another good tip: if you can't get into "people" to export your contacts because it keeps crashing, use "backup contacts" app to export them and even email them to yourself, before you start deleting. I was able to import the backup.csv directly into googlemail, and then from there back to my phone. YMMV

This worked for me on my S4. Thanks.

that solution seems to have worked for me now I just have to put my numbers back on my phone here's hoping